Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much to charge?

Default How much to charge?

Hi , I'm wondering , how much should i charge for a phototaking session for people's vehicles or simple product/model shoots for people i know?

Always been wanting to charge but I don't know how much is reasonable so i end up doing TFCD.

Thanks and sorry if this has been brought out before
    What do I write here?

Default Re: How much to charge?

How about finding out the rates outside, compare your photos to theirs, and then decide where you stand?

BTW, since when did Tamron has a 17-40mm?

Quote Originally Posted by david_goh View Post
    How about finding out the rates outside, compare your photos to theirs, and then decide where you stand?

BTW, since when did Tamron has a 17-40mm?
    I don't find people placing their charges around.

Sorry Was thinking about canon's 17 40 L when i was typing.
    Was considering these 2 lenses but got the Tamron in the end.
    What do I write here?

think about how much time you will have to spend on the project because remember every hour of shooting means like another 2 or 3 on the computer post processing
    and your charging so that gives the customer the right to nitpick every single last detail haha
    if they only want like a few shots i normall charge about $100-200
    but if your talking whole catalog then i would look even higher
    then again im not proffesional just take other peoples word for it when i'm charging but its really up to you aye haha

this is really up to you

charge them what you think you're worth
    Pentax K-x

Well a good guage to begin with is...

a. Charge by the time spent shooting at the location (can range from 50/hr to 400-500/hr)
    b. Fixed price for the entire shoot (your choice)

Also, you may adjust accordingly for their budgets if you wish.

everyone wants to charge

but no one stops to think whether they are worth the money they want to charge.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    everyone wants to charge

but no one stops to think whether they are worth the money they want to charge.
    thats very true..

Quote Originally Posted by aquacocoa85 View Post
    thats very true..
    note that, out of 5 replies, only one person noted that

and this is the world of today. it is a world of false pride, with people being proud of how much they charge, rather than how good a job they do.

i only know that i couldn't stomach doing something if i couldn't do it as well as someone else charging the same rate elsewhere. but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    note that, out of 5 replies, only one person noted that

and this is the world of today. it is a world of false pride, with people being proud of how much they charge, rather than how good a job they do.

i only know that i couldn't stomach doing something if i couldn't do it as well as someone else charging the same rate elsewhere. but that's just me.
    same here nai meh,

hence why i said charge how much you think you're worth

but of course, what if some people think they're that good then charge high high...

i think this line has to go with a disclaimer
    Pentax K-x

Quote Originally Posted by E3lipse View Post
    Hi , I'm wondering , how much should i charge for a phototaking session for people's vehicles or simple product/model shoots for people i know?

Always been wanting to charge but I don't know how much is reasonable so i end up doing TFCD.

actually since it is for people whom you know (not sure how close they are with you) .... it is an opportunity to ask them to quote you the price, maybe just ask for an ang pow and jokingly ask them to pay according to the quality they are getting ..... but if they insist then just pluck some figures from the air .... maybe say, a $300 ang pow i would appreciate and know that i have some quality, etc...

But I know this doesn't work as most people, including rich friends and relatives, their concept of paying for photography works is like, we are friends, so it should be free, when their company is paying like $200 per hour for other shoots....

So, it is still better to quote a rate that you "feel" you are fairly compensated for your talent and effort. First few times are a bit hard for "thin-skinned" people, but after that it should be quite AUTO ....
    always the Light, .... always.

Well i think if you believe in your work and you know how much you are valued, then stick to the price you quote. Friends "can" and will be irritating when it comes to shooting for free.. and discounts...

"har, you mean friends also you charge so much?" Gosh... This happens quite often.

Quote Originally Posted by aquacocoa85 View Post
    Well i think if you believe in your work and you know how much you are valued, then stick to the price you quote. Friends "can" and will be irritating when it comes to shooting for free.. and discounts...

"har, you mean friends also you charge so much?" Gosh... This happens quite often.
    real friends will pay you cos they know you're good and you're worth

those that won't pay are trying to take advantages

and if they have financial problems, and you decline payment

they will still pay you as much as they can afford, as they know you took time out to help them
    Pentax K-x

Quote Originally Posted by E3lipse View Post

How much do you value your work?If you don't think you are that great, you can start by charging <$100/hr but if you are very experienced, you may want to charge more.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimePhotog View Post
    How much do you value your work?If you don't think you are that great, you can start by charging <$100/hr but if you are very experienced, you may want to charge more.
    what do you think is a good strating price to charge
    Pentax K-x

very true...
    there are those who just want something cheap and good. and if u encounter such things... don't be afraid to reject them... they are already so thick skin so just reject them! lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Lomographer View Post
    real friends will pay you cos they know you're good and you're worth

those that won't pay are trying to take advantages

and if they have financial problems, and you decline payment

they will still pay you as much as they can afford, as they know you took time out to help them

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    Do not feel limited by your gear of what you can deliver. Your creativity is your limit.

As for charges, what can you convince your buyer to pay?

As to your skills in setting up a rig for car shoot, your ability to shoot product, your understanding of shooting models, it is all your responsibility. There is no excuse when you dont do it well as a paid photographer.

I do find it hard to charge my relatives or good friends for services. Either i dont do it or its free for them. But if am doing it as a full time - ie shoot to feed - then it is only fair i be paid for time spent. It is called opportunity cost.

As a guide for commercial rates, it is usually determined by estimated number of hours. Multiply your hourly rate to get a gross figure. Some charge $20 per hour, some $200, some $500.... It's all up to you.

Also, do you have a contract drafted out since it is a commercial shoot? You need to be protected with terms and conditions (in your favor mostly) even if you were to charge $50 for the whole shoot.

I alway felt limited by my gear....that why I charge very cheap....sob sob...

Nice inspiring sentence!!

Woahahaha. Hiya Pixels, I really like the 1st and the 3rd.... ROFL..... It really hits the nail on the head- We really get stingy-a*sed clients every now and then.... lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast