Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recognised photography courses

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    Shud learn the very basic................my friend

Learn how to use a basic camera, without electronics guidance, without autofocus, without preview. If you find learning using D100 is easy. Then try learning with a FM2 and a manual lens and fully manual control flash unit. See what will happen. If you have a friend who has a fully manual camera, go borrow and try.

You will know and those who has a DSLR camera will know too how difficult it is. Ah try to shoot on slides. The wonders of manual camera............
    I'm puzzled by this. I started out on F80 shooting slides (mostly) and some colour negs. I've since moved to D100. Anyhow, what benefit does one get from trying a fully manual camera? Is composition going to be affected by manual versus automatic? I don't see that it should. Technical issues might, like image being in focus or correct exposure. But to that end, isn't it better that technology should help us as much as it can? If I want manual I can use manual focus and manual exposure on my D100 (and I do from time to time depending on what I'm shooting). So what point to use film on FM2?

Projecting forward to the future, manual cameras will be fewer and fewer and most people will start photography with digital (this trend is already happening). But if using manual gear is some sort of pre-requisite to learning photography, then how?

Quote Originally Posted by Royce
    I'm puzzled by this. I started out on F80 shooting slides (mostly) and some colour negs. I've since moved to D100. Anyhow, what benefit does one get from trying a fully manual camera? Is composition going to be affected by manual versus automatic? I don't see that it should. Technical issues might, like image being in focus or correct exposure. But to that end, isn't it better that technology should help us as much as it can? If I want manual I can use manual focus and manual exposure on my D100 (and I do from time to time depending on what I'm shooting). So what point to use film on FM2?

Projecting forward to the future, manual cameras will be fewer and fewer and most people will start photography with digital (this trend is already happening). But if using manual gear is some sort of pre-requisite to learning photography, then how?
    I guess it's a personal achievement if one can shoot on a full manual cam, be it film or digital. It shows that the photographer truely understand the theory part and applied them.

Some digital photographer like myself r spoilt by the technology i used to shoot a scene, judge the resulting pic and adjust the settings. That's wrong!!

Quote Originally Posted by horizoner
    I guess it's a personal achievement if one can shoot on a full manual cam, be it film or digital. It shows that the photographer truely understand the theory part and applied them.

Some digital photographer like myself r spoilt by the technology i used to shoot a scene, judge the resulting pic and adjust the settings. That's wrong!!
    I guess if you are using film, then you would not use the method that you mention..."Shoot, See then Adjust"
    If not, it would be very expensive to maintain this hobby right..?

One will think more when using film camera's... in this way, you will learn more... and maybe in the later stage... can apply all that you have learn onto digital photography...!

cheers

Wink

Courses at Photographic society of singapore helps.
    They have got basic photography course. I finished the 3 mths course. BUT, that is just a way to kick start.

I understand wat u mean by using digital, it is easy. Not happy, delete.
    But then, I think the meaning and essences of photography still comes with the ability to use film cam. I started with a dummy Ixus 330. It produce ok pictures. Enough to make me happy. But i realise, I have to learn how to climb the stairs rite from the lowest level then it makes learning a challenge and interesting. So I bought myself another basic entry level SLR Canon EOS 300. Been shooting on both negatives and slides. When I make a mistake, it pains my heart cos slides and the developing fees are certainly not cheap as digital. Digital technology is expensive to start off, but the rest is like, free. Shoot shoot shoot, adjust delete and enhance by photoshop. I think, to me, I will do that, but when I experienced film cam first. Well, in my point of view, the learning process with film cam is just "fun". U wun know wat happen till the slides/photos are out. And you will learn ur mistakes and hard to forget. (because u learn it the hard way, by looking at the buang shots in the slides....wah seh...really heartache wan I tell u)

I tell myself I will upgrade to digital SLR soon...(a higher end wan preferably)after I am done with film...but I think I will still keep film cam with me
    Dancing desert scorpion
    :devil:

Quote Originally Posted by jnifur
    Courses at Photographic society of singapore helps.
    They have got basic photography course. I finished the 3 mths course. BUT, that is just a way to kick start.

I understand wat u mean by using digital, it is easy. Not happy, delete.
    But then, I think the meaning and essences of photography still comes with the ability to use film cam. I started with a dummy Ixus 330. It produce ok pictures. Enough to make me happy. But i realise, I have to learn how to climb the stairs rite from the lowest level then it makes learning a challenge and interesting. So I bought myself another basic entry level SLR Canon EOS 300. Been shooting on both negatives and slides. When I make a mistake, it pains my heart cos slides and the developing fees are certainly not cheap as digital. Digital technology is expensive to start off, but the rest is like, free. Shoot shoot shoot, adjust delete and enhance by photoshop. I think, to me, I will do that, but when I experienced film cam first. Well, in my point of view, the learning process with film cam is just "fun". U wun know wat happen till the slides/photos are out. And you will learn ur mistakes and hard to forget. (because u learn it the hard way, by looking at the buang shots in the slides....wah seh...really heartache wan I tell u)

I tell myself I will upgrade to digital SLR soon...(a higher end wan preferably)after I am done with film...but I think I will still keep film cam with me

Yup!!
    Same thoughts here...! film camera is really a good tool for beginners like me to learn and remember.... hard way of course like you said..!!

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by SuRfTeC
    I guess if you are using film, then you would not use the method that you mention..."Shoot, See then Adjust"
    If not, it would be very expensive to maintain this hobby right..?

One will think more when using film camera's... in this way, you will learn more... and maybe in the later stage... can apply all that you have learn onto digital photography...!

cheers
    I disagree with this. I've learnt a hell of a lot more shooting on digital than with film. Why? Instant feedback. With digital I know where I went wrong, I can correct or try something different straight away and then check again. But with more and more practice, I get it right first time. I know when to spot or matrix meter in advance. I know when I'll need to compensate exposure. etc. etc. How to do this with film? Bracket exposure... don't forget to write all the shooting details down on your notebook... wait a day or so for the developing... read through notes, then look at shots. Now go out and try shooting again and repeat process. No thanks!! Digitial is the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Royce
    I disagree with this. I've learnt a hell of a lot more shooting on digital than with film. Why? Instant feedback. With digital I know where I went wrong, I can correct or try something different straight away and then check again. But with more and more practice, I get it right first time. I know when to spot or matrix meter in advance. I know when I'll need to compensate exposure. etc. etc. How to do this with film? Bracket exposure... don't forget to write all the shooting details down on your notebook... wait a day or so for the developing... read through notes, then look at shots. Now go out and try shooting again and repeat process. No thanks!! Digitial is the future.
    oh..... another digital vs film topic coming HOT again...... let time speak for it....

digital, exposure wrong, will u delete or u keep for reference??... BUT do u ask WHY wrong exposure???

when comes to slides, u will study on the exposure, WHY wrong....

bracketing, u can set on camera on how u want the bracket, unless your camera doesn't have the function, then have your own style of bracketing from less to more or what ever.... from there take a reference... when learning take it slow and steady... how to go fast when learning... maybe i'lm not that smart to learn fast... unlike u guys....

learning from manual camera/conventional camera, at less nowadays, i can "meter" with my eyes.

digital, only for work ONLY.... personal portfolio, still stick to slides... the colour are not a punchy as slides... seat in front of monitor to adjust the colour... from no glass to THICK glasses.... worth it??? work face computer, after work STILL face computer??

just a word of advice. U CONTROL THE CAMERA TO GIVE U PICTURES. NOT THE CAMERA GIVE U WHAT IT SEES.

Wink

But I also know of some pple who scan slides and colour negative to digital format...and alter from there...so well, it is still alterable lah.
    Though one thing, digital is really powerful in the sense that it gives u the preview. But guess film cam has its stands too...
    I very kiasu wan...I want the best of both worlds. So I will switch to Digital when I got the money...BUT, I will still use my film...I love to look at slides loh...personal preference
    Dancing desert scorpion
    :devil:

Quote Originally Posted by jnifur
    But I also know of some pple who scan slides and colour negative to digital format...and alter from there...so well, it is still alterable lah.
    Though one thing, digital is really powerful in the sense that it gives u the preview. But guess film cam has its stands too...
    I very kiasu wan...I want the best of both worlds. So I will switch to Digital when I got the money...BUT, I will still use my film...I love to look at slides loh...personal preference
    i guess only pictures that is wrongly expose or they want to add effect will scan and play with it... if not....

basically, i have relise that from scanned slide to print and print direct from slide are of different quality... direct print have better quality... cost wise, not much different... unless someone can recommand a difference of 50% between both, then i'll consider scanned and print....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12