Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Recognised photography courses

  1. #1

    Default Recognised photography courses

    Hi guys,

    I need some advise. Have been thinking of enroling for a photography course which upon graduation, I will be awarded a recognised cert.

    Any sch or course to recommend? Local preferred.

    Thanks for any replies and yr time

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Last planet from the sun
    Posts
    2,822

    Default THere is no recognised courses....

    Hi horizoner,

    NAFA is offering basic skills.

    http://www.nafa.edu.sg/main_main_sch...a_fa_cert7.htm

  3. #3

    Default

    i see .. just wondering if it's recognise

    anyway ... thanks

  4. #4

    Default The Best Recognition

    Don't mind me saying this but your question is kinda weird ...

    The Best Form of recognition from photography comes in the form of work you produce. You can have all the money in the world to attend ICP in NYC, yet cannot apply what you learnt, produce lousy work but somehow graduated with a cert, so what? Are your future clients going to hire you based on your certifications or based on your portfolio? For that matter how many of our "lao jiao" photographers have been certified and have recognised education certs for photography?

    Not a "lao jiao" myself, am still learning, just hope you don't make the mistake of the paper chase ... hope that helps... sorry if I am too frank

    Quote Originally Posted by horizoner
    Hi guys,

    I need some advise. Have been thinking of enroling for a photography course which upon graduation, I will be awarded a recognised cert.

    Any sch or course to recommend? Local preferred.

    Thanks for any replies and yr time

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ydanz
    Don't mind me saying this but your question is kinda weird ...

    The Best Form of recognition from photography comes in the form of work you produce. You can have all the money in the world to attend ICP in NYC, yet cannot apply what you learnt, produce lousy work but somehow graduated with a cert, so what? Are your future clients going to hire you based on your certifications or based on your portfolio? For that matter how many of our "lao jiao" photographers have been certified and have recognised education certs for photography?

    Not a "lao jiao" myself, am still learning, just hope you don't make the mistake of the paper chase ... hope that helps... sorry if I am too frank
    i know wat u mean. This is not exactly a case of paper chase but not enrolling in a course which will go wasted. In photogprahy, portfolio counts more than paper qualification, if any. I am aware of that.

    Perhaps I hv seen a job posting lately which require a photographer preferably with degree in photography that made me ask this question.

    Just wan to know the option out there b4 i deciding if i need one or not.

    thanks for the "enlightenment" anyway.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by horizoner
    Perhaps I hv seen a job posting lately which require a photographer preferably with degree in photography that made me ask this question.
    I @@, thats kinda weird, perhaps one is allowed to submit his or her portfolio in place of a degree? Let the fruits of one's labour speak for itself. I know of a local photographer who was able to get a year of exemptions in a Degree (major in Commercial Photography is my memory serves me right) on the sole basis of submitting his portfolio, not an O or A level cert.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default

    how abt these courses?


    Objectifs

    u have to do some navigation.
    Last edited by Cheesecake; 1st December 2003 at 01:17 AM.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by horizoner
    Hi guys,

    I need some advise. Have been thinking of enroling for a photography course which upon graduation, I will be awarded a recognised cert.

    Any sch or course to recommend? Local preferred.

    Thanks for any replies and yr time
    take up the title exams in the photo clubs in singapore.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by horizoner
    i know wat u mean. This is not exactly a case of paper chase but not enrolling in a course which will go wasted. In photogprahy, portfolio counts more than paper qualification, if any. I am aware of that.

    Perhaps I hv seen a job posting lately which require a photographer preferably with degree in photography that made me ask this question.

    Just wan to know the option out there b4 i deciding if i need one or not.

    thanks for the "enlightenment" anyway.

    i'm not so sure abt what's offer locally.
    but they do have degree in photograpjy in some overseas uni!
    RMIT is one such uni that i know off!
    However, i've no further information on that! u got it check it out yourself!

  10. #10
    Moderator sebastiansong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,556
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default

    At the end of the day it is still ur body of works and continued creativity and vision that sets you apart. If funding is not the issue, try overseas like

    RMIT (Australia)
    Japan
    Korea
    Europe (basically the capitals of fashion like Italy, Paris, London)
    US

    the exposure would aid you greatly...

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Last planet from the sun
    Posts
    2,822

    Default I am from RMIT.......

    High if you are thinking of going overseas, be prepared to spend around $25,000 (depending on your lifestyle) a year. School fees alone is around $14,000 plus. Your monthly expenses include transport, food, rental, purchasing films, developing, telephone bills and etc will cost you at least $1,000 a month. The course is a 3 year course. 1st year you go back to the basic. Second year you work your way to specialized in an area which interest you. Final year, you finalized your folio which you will need when you start out this career. Courses have changes since I last met my lecturer. So if you really want to know, I will email you his contact for further correspondent.

    So if you or your parents can afford by all means. My parents only gave me $800 a month. Any extras, I had to work for it. You will be surprise, washing dishes earns quite a lot. I use to do that with a friend of mine. We manage to earn about $700-$800 a month ( you are allow to work for 80 hours a month) but during holidays, you can work longer. Around 3-4 hours a day. Tired but worth it as we manage to travel round Australia with the extra $$$$!

    If you are really looking at it, I can introduced the International Correspondent to you. He's my lecturer. The course is really good. If you have a good folio, you can get a year's exemption. Australia is really a great place to do all kinds of photography as it has great landscapes, beautiful natural resources, Asian people, Italians, Greeks and Aussies as well. They have mix Asian guys and gals who are quite good looking to take photos of.

    Food is good as the varieties are great. Exchange rates are close to 1 on 1. No worries about conversions but I must say things over there are more ex than local.

    Thanks and good luck! Hope our pointers are good enough to let you make a decision.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    High if you are thinking of going overseas, be prepared to spend around $25,000 (depending on your lifestyle) a year. School fees alone is around $14,000 plus. Your monthly expenses include transport, food, rental, purchasing films, developing, telephone bills and etc will cost you at least $1,000 a month. The course is a 3 year course. 1st year you go back to the basic. Second year you work your way to specialized in an area which interest you. Final year, you finalized your folio which you will need when you start out this career. Courses have changes since I last met my lecturer. So if you really want to know, I will email you his contact for further correspondent.

    So if you or your parents can afford by all means. My parents only gave me $800 a month. Any extras, I had to work for it. You will be surprise, washing dishes earns quite a lot. I use to do that with a friend of mine. We manage to earn about $700-$800 a month ( you are allow to work for 80 hours a month) but during holidays, you can work longer. Around 3-4 hours a day. Tired but worth it as we manage to travel round Australia with the extra $$$$!

    If you are really looking at it, I can introduced the International Correspondent to you. He's my lecturer. The course is really good. If you have a good folio, you can get a year's exemption. Australia is really a great place to do all kinds of photography as it has great landscapes, beautiful natural resources, Asian people, Italians, Greeks and Aussies as well. They have mix Asian guys and gals who are quite good looking to take photos of.

    Food is good as the varieties are great. Exchange rates are close to 1 on 1. No worries about conversions but I must say things over there are more ex than local.

    Thanks and good luck! Hope our pointers are good enough to let you make a decision.
    that's a lot of relevant info for me ... thanks a zillion. Don't think i will consider an oversea course due to budget constraint.

    Looks like building up my portfolio shld be my priority

  13. #13

    Default

    try JMP after getting his diploma, his student attended the final year in most UK university.
    www.jmpjoseph.com

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Last planet from the sun
    Posts
    2,822

    Default Try to source some others.....

    Quote Originally Posted by horizoner
    that's a lot of relevant info for me ... thanks a zillion. Don't think i will consider an oversea course due to budget constraint.

    Looks like building up my portfolio shld be my priority
    As some of us have mentioned earlier, degree is not very important. Going overseas is all about exposure. A paper is just a paper. Sure people might be impress but if your folio sucks, dun think a Master's will help too.

    So build up your folio by yourself but learn the basic techniques first. Do you have any equipment at the moment? Can you just list out what you have. Thanks!

    CS is a good place to have for photos scrutinize by fellow CS. Some good advice, some unrelated advice and plenty of banal talk. So if you think you are shy, just pm to us. We are more than willing to help you out. Look out for experience CS members. Look out for it when they post their photos. You will know who is good at. No one is good at everything. So photography is also an art which you will specialized later. Some love sports photography, nature, journalism, black and white, fashion, digital imaging, advertorial, interior & exterior, makeover, and the list goes on.............

    So see what your interest is first. Go check out some photography books. See what kind of photos make you feel good about it. Go to Borders or Kinokuniya Page One for some reference. There is a shop call Basher or something on the highest floor.

  15. #15

    Default

    well .. i hv enuf equipments for me to shoot wat i want.

    D100/CP 5700
    AF VR 80-400
    AFS 24-85
    Tamron 19-35
    SB 80 DX and 22S

    yeah .. been learning a lot from pics in CS, Pbase and PhotoSig. This shld be the cheapest way of learning photography .. haha

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Last planet from the sun
    Posts
    2,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by horizoner
    well .. i hv enuf equipments for me to shoot wat i want.

    D100/CP 5700
    AF VR 80-400
    AFS 24-85
    Tamron 19-35
    SB 80 DX and 22S

    yeah .. been learning a lot from pics in CS, Pbase and PhotoSig. This shld be the cheapest way of learning photography .. haha
    Shud learn the very basic................my friend

    Learn how to use a basic camera, without electronics guidance, without autofocus, without preview. If you find learning using D100 is easy. Then try learning with a FM2 and a manual lens and fully manual control flash unit. See what will happen. If you have a friend who has a fully manual camera, go borrow and try.

    You will know and those who has a DSLR camera will know too how difficult it is. Ah try to shoot on slides. The wonders of manual camera............

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Australia
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by horizoner
    i know wat u mean. This is not exactly a case of paper chase but not enrolling in a course which will go wasted. In photogprahy, portfolio counts more than paper qualification, if any. I am aware of that.

    Perhaps I hv seen a job posting lately which require a photographer preferably with degree in photography that made me ask this question.

    Just wan to know the option out there b4 i deciding if i need one or not.

    thanks for the "enlightenment" anyway.
    Hi Horizoner,

    I know exactly what you mean, I've seen a similar ad (if not the same one to begun with) and was wondering, what THE!

    To be very frank, sometime, the employement department doesn't know what they are asking. How much are they willing to pay for a in-house photographer with a degree in photography? 20~50K a month? I mean how many of us working photographers have got a degree?

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,779

    Default

    ZeusS is right? I don't think that they know what the real meaning behind the word "Photography" means. Or do they?

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum
    ZeusS is right? I don't think that they know what the real meaning behind the word "Photography" means. Or do they?
    Perhaps they don't even appreciate photography as a form of art. To them, we just produce pictures which they can use. Even if our pic r not perfect, they won't even know. That's my experience with some clients so far.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    Shud learn the very basic................my friend

    Learn how to use a basic camera, without electronics guidance, without autofocus, without preview. If you find learning using D100 is easy. Then try learning with a FM2 and a manual lens and fully manual control flash unit. See what will happen. If you have a friend who has a fully manual camera, go borrow and try.

    You will know and those who has a DSLR camera will know too how difficult it is. Ah try to shoot on slides. The wonders of manual camera............
    I doubt I will ever go to film cos I started out with digital. But hv been striving to improve the good pics rate. That means maybe 8 out of 10 pics r correctly exposed and gd composition. Used to be 4 out of 10 ..

    Digital certainly speed up the learning process. If not I will hv taken years to undertand exposure and metering and other stuffs. hahaha ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •