Thread: How to define Wide Angle Converter spec?

Default How to define Wide Angle Converter spec?

Hello,

May I know how to interpret wide angle converter spec? For an example, 52mm 0.72x wide converter. What is "0.72x" represent? How would I know the angle size?

Thanks.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by mKiki
    May I know how to interpret wide angle converter spec? For an example, 52mm 0.72x wide converter. What is "0.72x" represent? How would I know the angle size?
    Take that magnification and multiple that with your camera's lens and you get the equivalent focal length. For eg. your camera lens is 35mm equivalent at its widest. A 0.72x will give you 0.72 x 35mm equivalent.
    Last edited by frisky; 30th November 2003 at 07:11 PM.

Hello,

Thanks.
    52mm = the diameter of the filter......

0.72x wide = 0.72 x (your lens current size... say, 28mm)
    =0.72 x 28 = 20mm

of course that depends on the camera too, for example a normal 35mm camera will give you 20mm viewspace, but a digital will give you a viewspace of
    30mm

oic....how about if the camera's len is a zoom len? Let's say 28-80mm....does this mean after attached the converter it would be 0.72x28 - 0.72x80mm???

Is it possible the converter got few magnifcation value?

Really thanks alot.....

oic....how about if the camera's len is a zoom len? Let's say 28-80mm....does this mean after attached the converter it would be 0.72x28 - 0.72x80mm???

Really thanks alot.....

Dun think convertor got a few magnification value, at least for the low end ones. If use telescope is another case..... Anyway, I do not really trust those 3rd party convertors, like those from Kenko and Raynox. It seems that their magnification value is overstated unlike those from Canon (original for G3/G5) and the Tcon17 from Olympus.

Cheap never comes good.

Quote Originally Posted by blurblock
    52mm = the diameter of the filter......
    52mm is the thread size on the side of the wide angle converter to be attached to the camera/video cam. It's not the filter size on the front of the wide-angle converter.

Really thanks alot.....
    Depends on how much you zoom the lens. The camera's lens has different focal length depending on how much you zoom.

btw, not every wide-angle converter will work. If the wide-angle converter has a small rear element, you may get vignetting (dark corners) in your pics. Also, if you get low quality ones that are meant for videocameras, the final images will lose a lot of details/sharpness and will usually be distorted.

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    52mm is the thread size on the side of the wide angle converter to be attached to the camera/video cam. It's not the filter size on the front of the wide-angle converter.
    hehehe .... I can never get that term right .... Thank You .

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    Depends on how much you zoom the lens. The camera's lens has different focal length depending on how much you zoom.

btw, not every wide-angle converter will work. If the wide-angle converter has a small rear element, you may get vignetting (dark corners) in your pics. Also, if you get low quality ones that are meant for videocameras, the final images will lose a lot of details/sharpness and will usually be distorted.
    lucky I decided to get a 18-35mm wide angle for Nikon F80 rather a converter, sound so problematic

btw to get a converter need to match which brand of camera? I understand the len needed due to the CPU if not wrong.