Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: XDrive - do you worry?

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi2
    Thanks ndroo and Frisky!!! Great help from you both. Yah, think I'll bring it down to Eastgear to get a new battery. I'm just surprised it went dead so soon.
    Make sure you take care of the accidental activation issue, otherwise I suspect the new battery may not last very long.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by theITguy
    About that MagicStors, although it looks promising, yet it lacks the reliability of Hitachi's MD and having problems under hot/cold weather. It also drains the battery faster and "only" 4.4GB compared to a 20GB storage device (or more capacity with change of drive). Just my thoughts.
    Care to clarify the mention of the reliability issue? What do you mean by lacks the reliability. As in is it from specs MTBF or user feedback?

Also, considering the operating ceiling for the MD are only 3000m, I don't think I would consider them.

Quote Originally Posted by frisky
    Make sure you take care of the accidental activation issue, otherwise I suspect the new battery may not last very long.
    By accidental activation, you mean when I put it in the bag and the ON/OFF button got pressed accidentally? Hmm, now that you mentioned it, I find it's quite possible. But even then, it zaps the batt so quickly... What kind of ring do you suggest using? Thanks.

I've got my battery from Eastgear. Just changed it. He told me the battery can charge for 500 times. Quite straightforward, just got screws to undo here and there. Now charging my XDrive.

Quote Originally Posted by ndroo
    u can find the firmware here http://www.vosonic.com.tw/index.php?php_mode=downloads (got it from frisky too)

as for the battery, u mean it can no longer hold it's charge? maybe just get a replacement battery. but i think gotta send in to the shop though. the company who originally sold it (firefish or something is gone), but i tink can get it done at eastgear.
    Just realize, the firmware 1.04 update says for Win 98 and 2000 only. How come? Win ME/XP not applicable?

Deregistered

By accidental activation, you mean when I put it in the bag and the ON/OFF button got pressed accidentally? Hmm, now that you mentioned it, I find it's quite possible. But even then, it zaps the batt so quickly... What kind of ring do you suggest using? Thanks.

I've got my battery from Eastgear. Just changed it. He told me the battery can charge for 500 times. Quite straightforward, just got screws to undo here and there. Now charging my XDrive.
    Yup, I am refering to that. Something like a POLO sweet Basically anything that prevents the button from being pressed accidentally. Perhaps a metal washer if you can find one of the right size. Or a section of a small PVC pipe.

The idea is to prevent the button from being pressed when you don't intend to.
    Much like what they do to the emergency call button on the NEL MRT.

Just realize, the firmware 1.04 update says for Win 98 and 2000 only. How come? Win ME/XP not applicable?
    Yeah, you need to find a Win98 machine.

Thanks, thanks..

Btw, if I wish to download lots of images from the XDrive to my computer, it's ok to run it via the AC power even though the battery has been fully charged right? The XDrive will draw its power from the AC instead of the battery? I find that if I run from the battery, it doesn't last long enough for the complete download -- some hundreds of images!

Oh yah, btw, for the Li-ion battery, is it ok to charge it again even though the battery has not been fully spent?
    Last edited by kiwi2; 3rd December 2003 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by frisky
    Care to clarify the mention of the reliability issue? What do you mean by lacks the reliability. As in is it from specs MTBF or user feedback?

Also, considering the operating ceiling for the MD are only 3000m, I don't think I would consider them.

I tend to read a lot from other forums and some guys mentioned that under hot weather or extreme use it produces error, and images lost in the process. I think one guy here face the problem too. It might be cheaper than CF card, like Hitachi's MicroDrive (formerly from IBM) but the cost advantage is greatly reduced to nothing with the building of more fabs by AMD/Intel/Samsung etc for production of more flash memory. Imagine AMD is earning money from flash memory than from CPU business can tell that the market is there.

The other great reason for not getting this disk based cards is that we have the better built, more functional portable digital wallets like x drive, archos, tripper image tank and super digibin etc etc, which typically costs from $400 - $900, affordable when you can spend $800 for 2x 2.2GB MD while a 2x 256MB CF + $500 Digital Wallet is about $750, and is 20-40GB of storage.

Just my opinions to share

Quote Originally Posted by theITguy
    I tend to read a lot from other forums and some guys mentioned that under hot weather or extreme use it produces error, and images lost in the process. I think one guy here face the problem too. It might be cheaper than CF card, like Hitachi's MicroDrive (formerly from IBM) but the cost advantage is greatly reduced to nothing with the building of more fabs by AMD/Intel/Samsung etc for production of more flash memory. Imagine AMD is earning money from flash memory than from CPU business can tell that the market is there.

The other great reason for not getting this disk based cards is that we have the better built, more functional portable digital wallets like x drive, archos, tripper image tank and super digibin etc etc, which typically costs from $400 - $900, affordable when you can spend $800 for 2x 2.2GB MD while a 2x 256MB CF + $500 Digital Wallet is about $750, and is 20-40GB of storage.

Just my opinions to share
    You are mostly right. Flash based CF cards are faster, more reliable, and are practically crash proof. However, if you can find a cheap IBM/Hitachi Microdrive ( NOT the MagicStors, which seems to be problematic ), they are extremely tough little buggers and highly reliable. I used a MD extensively during my recent trip to Europe. Temperates ranged from 5 to 15 celcius, so it's not that cold. I didn't have a single problem. I found that it reduces the need to swap cards. The less often you swap cards, the less likely you'll drop the card or the camera. The 512MB CF card that I bought as backup was hardly used at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Inimatad
    I have an X-Drive II - no problems for the last 5 months but I wonder if anyone knows if this fella has any external power pack for emergencies when I'm overseas or outdoors.
    Yes, there are external powerpacks for it, available from EastGear

Quote Originally Posted by ndroo
    u can find the firmware here http://www.vosonic.com.tw/index.php?php_mode=downloads (got it from frisky too)

as for the battery, u mean it can no longer hold it's charge? maybe just get a replacement battery. but i think gotta send in to the shop though. the company who originally sold it (firefish or something is gone), but i tink can get it done at eastgear.
    I tried downloading the Ver 1.04 but it doesn't seem to work. It complained no USB device detected even though I've plugged in my X-Drive to the computer. How come? I tried using Win 2000 also.

I tried downloading the Ver 1.04 but it doesn't seem to work. It complained no USB device detected even though I've plugged in my X-Drive to the computer. How come? I tried using Win 2000 also.
    Have you tried Win98 ?

Deregistered

I have successfully upgrade to 1.04 using win 2k.
    You should check that the X-drive is detected correct first,
    otherwise find a way to.

pywong
    Guests

Anyone has any recommendation where I could buy XDrive or image tank. I was at Funan yesterday and was unsuccessful. MOst sales person just give me a blank look when I describe what I want.

I am thinking of going the Sim Lim next, anyone has any recommendation at Sim Lim or other places?

Thanks

How do you upload the patch with Windows XP? And which patch do i d/l? there seems to be a new version Firmware Ps3001 v.2.32?

Anyone can help? Thanks

One more question: If you format the HDD will you have to re-install the firmware?

Deregistered

No, firmware is the hardware operations control, it only teaches the HDD how to operate, HDD itself is a storage device you format the storage, it only becomes empty.

Quote Originally Posted by joshkoh
    One more question: If you format the HDD will you have to re-install the firmware?
    I think you are referring to the firmware that is inside the XDrive electronics. There is also another firmware inside the HDD electronics. In a normal situation you are not able to access the firmware, so theoritically you cannot erase the firmware. When you format the HDD, you only "erase" the HDD magnetic data, you do not erase the HDD electronics, you also do not erase the XDrive electronics.

Just came back from a trip to Australia. Was using the original ImageTank, which transfers data from CF card to HD faster than any of the current devices (to my surprise when I tested). Mostly powered by mains electricity or car battery, only once I used the 6 AA's battery pack. No problems. Came home, switched the HD to a cheap USB 2.0 hard disk casing and downloaded everything within a few minutes.

If kiasu, I agree the best solution would be redundant backup - 2 xdrives or 2 imagetanks.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by StreetShooter
    Just came back from a trip to Australia. Was using the original ImageTank, which transfers data from CF card to HD faster than any of the current devices (to my surprise when I tested). Mostly powered by mains electricity or car battery, only once I used the 6 AA's battery pack. No problems. Came home, switched the HD to a cheap USB 2.0 hard disk casing and downloaded everything within a few minutes.

If kiasu, I agree the best solution would be redundant backup - 2 xdrives or 2 imagetanks.
    Which are the current devices you tested against?

What is the total disk space you used up? Cos a few minutes even with USB 2.0 doesn't sounds like a lot of files.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast