Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone planning to get a large screen TV?

Default Anyone planning to get a large screen TV?

Well I am ...

The model which I've been waiting for (Panasonic TH-P42G11) has finally arrived in Singapore a few weeks ago and I've just called up Goh Ah Bee for a quotation ...

S$2180 with 3 years warranty, free wall mount and S$200 NTUC voucher; urgh ...

Anyone here also looking to get a large screen? Let's hear the rantings and share tips, ClubSNAP style!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Anyone planning to get a large screen TV?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Goi View Post
    Well I am ...

The model which I've been waiting for (Panasonic TH-P42G11) has finally arrived in Singapore a few weeks ago and I've just called up Goh Ah Bee for a quotation ...

S$2180 with 3 years warranty, free wall mount and S$200 NTUC voucher; urgh ...

Anyone here also looking to get a large screen? Let's hear the rantings and share tips, ClubSNAP style!
    Full HD? I wanna change tv also, my current one is only HD ready, 32 inch. Wanna change to 37 inch or bigger

I have a Pioneer 50 inch plasma.

made me a little broke in the beginning. but I have not regretted it since. full of win and yum.
    chicken fight!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy81 View Post
    Full HD? I wanna change tv also, my current one is only HD ready, 32 inch. Wanna change to 37 inch or bigger
    Yeah, it's full HD! Man I'm super tempted now, especially when I know Goh Ah Bee can deliver it within a day, ahhhh! Must go take a cold shower ...

Quote Originally Posted by terryansimon View Post
    I have a Pioneer 50 inch plasma.

made me a little broke in the beginning. but I have not regretted it since. full of win and yum.
    Wah ... a Pioneer! I'm sure it's a bullet, or should I say a missile worth biting!

Yeah, it's full HD! Man I'm super tempted now, especially when I know Goh Ah Bee can deliver it within a day, ahhhh! Must go take a cold shower ...
    you do know that unless you intend to view your TV in less than 3 metres, you probably wouldn't be able to pixel-tell the difference on a full HD TV?

besides, you have got to make sure that your source, and the source's source is full HD. sometimes it really can be a case of it modelling it up to full HD, thereby giving you the illusion that it's full HD when it's not.
    chicken fight!

Blog Entries

Who`s goh ah bee? He has catalog of other models? I also wanna BBB lei

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by terryansimon View Post
    you do know that unless you intend to view your TV in less than 3 metres, you probably wouldn't be able to pixel-tell the difference on a full HD TV?

besides, you have got to make sure that your source, and the source's source is full HD. sometimes it really can be a case of it modelling it up to full HD, thereby giving you the illusion that it's full HD when it's not.
    Hmm but should be able to tell the diff if you are playing blu rays on it right? Say between 1080i n 1080p?

Hmm but should be able to tell the diff if you are playing blu rays on it right? Say between 1080i n 1080p?
    I've been told that unless you've got microscopes for eyes, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. any difference that you see is probably due to a placebo effect (ie, knowing that one was 1080i and the other was 1080p). if you did a blind sampling, it was shown that most people can't tell the difference.

I'll try to dig out the "research", since it was taken off a forum I frequented for such news when making my mind up over the Pioneer I bought.
    chicken fight!

Goh Ah Bee's number is 62888611.

Btw, someone @ xtreme is saying a Pioneer 428 is going for S$1999?

any other good deals? looking for one too.

I suggest you read this thread for more info on this.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=2363747

And for the viewing distance, there is an adjacent thread on this too.

A 42" is a decent mid size panel, and to enjoy the full HD effect, the viewing distance should be less than 2.5m.

Cheers

Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Blog Entries

Its 6 months since the last post on this subject....... i have researched and still super confused...... anyone keen to share their ideas on what to get and/or what features to look out for ?
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    Its 6 months since the last post on this subject....... i have researched and still super confused...... anyone keen to share their ideas on what to get and/or what features to look out for ?
    hi ed, i recently bought a Panasonic TH-P42C10...cheap cheap $699 with wall mount free. based on the charts from the HWZ thread http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh...1&postcount=11, at a distance of about 11ft (about 3.4m) in between my sofa and the TV in my living room, i am above the 720p trace of my TV. not that I will sit closer to see more details. watching SD tv from starhub hubstation and only dvd player, intending to get a PS3 but most games are native 720p so i'm a happy camper

this from cnet asia is a pretty good guide too http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/home_av...9169380,00.htm

how do you measured the distance - from the plane of the screen to the eyeballs or from the screen panel to the sofa.

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    If you have a budget and an idea of what kind of stuff you view - SD TV or Hi Def, more people can chip in to help you.

I suggest the hardwarezone area where many more can help you:
    http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/fo...play.php?f=226
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Quote Originally Posted by jopel View Post
    how do you measured the distance - from the plane of the screen to the eyeballs or from the screen panel to the sofa.
    er...don't think the measurement needs to be very precise since its in feet anyway ....the width of my living room is 3.65 meters, i just use agarration to work out the distance between my head to the screen factoring in the backrest of my sofa and the clearance behind the tv lor....

Blog Entries

well, lets see here

1. i dont have blu-ray
    2. not hooking up a hifi and not a hifi buff
    3. my sofa is about 13ft away from TV console
    4. would like to watch my HD videos (from both compact PnS and larger cameras with HD video functions) so a SD slot would be good to see both videos and photos
    5. no WII or similar games at home
    6. hopefully have bluetooth or other connection between laptop and screen

Plasma, LCD or LED are all OK for me

Color accuracy is important to me

Thanks for the attached links above..... will look and study more there

I have my eyes on a 47in LG that takes care of most of above....... $1999 at Mustafa ....... so still shopping for similar from Sony, Samsung or Panasonic
    Last edited by ed9119; 25th December 2009 at 11:42 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

I've eyes for the 55 inch LED Samsung.

Will buy it in a few years time, when it's actually affordable.

Ed
    If you have 1999 for a 47" LG, see the price purchased sticky in the HWZ forum. FYI - I paid less for a 47" LH 70.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh...&postcount=199 This is just a guide - you can do better.
    Last edited by petetherock; 26th December 2009 at 10:06 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast