Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flickr(2)

Default Flickr(2)

Hey sorry. I should have included this much wanted to ask question too.
    Also related to flickr too.
    My previous thread > http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531314

If not wrong, if you guys who use Flickr as medium to upload photos to, whenever you want to upload the photo there will be this thing at the top right >
    "You've used __% of your 100 MB photo limit and 0 of your 2 video limit this month."

What I want to ask too is, how do you guys compress the photos into smaller size?
    Cos the photos that I posted up are all very big, all in 1936X1296, all in MB.
    And they resulted in I have used 73% of the 100MB photo limit just only today.
    I dont know what to do.

I am still new to photography and flickr, so can anybody give me some advice?

Default Re: Flickr(2)

use about 300dpi, and resize your images to about 1200x800.. should rarely exceed 1mb

you use photo editing program to resize, save as new file just for web upload, keep your original big size one on computer

got free ones like GIMP , that will do the job fine

If u using PhotoShop, there is a Save As Web option.

Quote Originally Posted by adorable View Post
    if im not wrong, 'save for web' option would lose exif data, in case u want it displayed in Flickr ...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyteocx View Post
    if im not wrong, 'save for web' option would lose exif data, in case u want it displayed in Flickr ...
    you are not wrong, save for web will strip all excess data to make the file as small as possible for web display

Resize and save for web...

the next alternative is to buy the pro package where there is no upload limit.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman2000 View Post
    use about 300dpi, and resize your images to about 1200x800.. should rarely exceed 1mb
    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    you use photo editing program to resize, save as new file just for web upload, keep your original big size one on computer

got free ones like GIMP , that will do the job fine
    Quote Originally Posted by adorable View Post
    oh i see. ah.. i'm not using photoshop, idk how to use it too.
    but i'm willing to learn! alrights thanks for the tips people serious appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Resize and save for web...

the next alternative is to buy the pro package where there is no upload limit.
    LOL of cos la XD.
    thanks for the tips, including mod's.
    much appreciated!

There is a mod to make GIMP more Photoshop-like

Quote Originally Posted by shootjutsu View Post
    oh i see. ah.. i'm not using photoshop, idk how to use it too.
    but i'm willing to learn! alrights thanks for the tips people serious appreciated.
    Photoshop is overkill for simple resizing. Have a look at the free tools available like Picasa etc. Also, the CD that came with your camera will contain a basic image editor. Have a good look.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman2000 View Post
    to TS
    are you using the web to keep hi res copies of your pictures or are the strictly for web viewing? if its strictly for webviewing u might wanna keep it just to 72dpi. the dimensions are strictly up to you. for myself, i keep it to 72dpi and 900px on the longest side. just enuff for web viewing and posting on forums and such
    give me a pen, and i'll give you my signature

You may want to learn Photoshop eventually, for post processing of your photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Photoshop is overkill for simple resizing. Have a look at the free tools available like Picasa etc. Also, the CD that came with your camera will contain a basic image editor. Have a good look.
    ah yea am using picasa tho. minor pp or mostly no pp at all for my photos.
    darn lazy ahaha.
    and oh, my dslr is 2nd hand, so no cd given by the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by incubus View Post
    to TS
    are you using the web to keep hi res copies of your pictures or are the strictly for web viewing? if its strictly for webviewing u might wanna keep it just to 72dpi. the dimensions are strictly up to you. for myself, i keep it to 72dpi and 900px on the longest side. just enuff for web viewing and posting on forums and such
    sorry but i want to ask what is 'dpi'? i'm still picking up the terms and all..

Quote Originally Posted by shootjutsu View Post
    and oh, my dslr is 2nd hand, so no cd given by the dealer.
    Then you can check with the vendor. Nikon and Canon release the software also at their websites. For Canon you might need a little twaek since the download files expect an existing installation. Search the forum here, I have seen the link and description.

if you got microsoft office in your pc, you can use the microsoft picture manager or something lidat to resize. i can resize a lot of photos in 1 min...
    Fast Camera. Fast Lens. Slow Me. Sigh.
    My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Then you can check with the vendor. Nikon and Canon release the software also at their websites. For Canon you might need a little twaek since the download files expect an existing installation. Search the forum here, I have seen the link and description.
    haha oh me using nikon. d40x yep

Quote Originally Posted by luntut View Post
    if you got microsoft office in your pc, you can use the microsoft picture manager or something lidat to resize. i can resize a lot of photos in 1 min...
    oh yea i have the picture manager.

For those who are not using M$ Office there are multiple freeware tools. IrfanView is quite advanced and can do a lot of things in batch mode. Apart from that it's just a nice image viewer that can even display RAW files of various camera brands. (The real RAW file, not the embedded thumbnail.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast