Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bicycle Maintainence

Default Re: Bicycle Maintainence

Quote Originally Posted by patch17 View Post
    hydraulic brakes, just make sure there's enough oil pressure. when topping up the oil in the lines, be sure to 'bleed' the lines. i.e. make sure all the air is pushed out from the line otherwise you'll have a spongey feeling when you apply the brakes.

cable operated disc brakes, same as normal brakes. don't put any oil in the cable housing. better to purchase good quality cable housing with a teflon lining for smooth operation.

make sure you check the brake pads, remove all dirt, sand or tiny stones that may lodge in the pads. these will reduce brake efficiency and surely scratch your discs.

i like to set up my brakes such that a pull of about 5 - 6mm will activate the brakes. i've been in situations where i've squeezed the lever all the way to the handlebar and the bike's not slowing down. so i always make it a point to check the tension on the cables.

as for riding in the wet, it's one of my favourite things. if you're bike is properly lubbed, you shouldn't have a problem with rust. obviously, parts like nuts, bolts etc, in which the chrome coating or paint has been worn away and exposed the metal, rust will occur. unless you change all your bolts and nuts to stainless steel, aluminium or Titanium, they will always have some rust, but don't let that bother you.
    Just checked my brakes. Yupp, they pull in about 4mm. Quite alright for the tension. But i may have to adjust the biting point in the months to come. The bike is tuned and adjusted by Haro. So pretty much the default settings right now. Haha. Haven't got the time to ride the bike yet, will tryout on sunday and see if i need some adjustments.

If i do need to adjust the brake tension, how do i do it? Adjust the cable?

Thanks.

GMAN

here's another tip, your dominant hand operates the rear brake. i.e. right handed, rear brake lever on the right, left handed, rear brake lever on the left.

in an emergency, 9 times out of 10, your dominant hand will squeeze first and strongest, so better to apply rear brake first before front, otherwise sure endo into the ground.
    True. Haha, Usually i use rear, before gradually using the front brakes. Keeps the brakes even.

GMAN

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja23XX View Post
    Just checked my brakes. Yupp, they pull in about 4mm. Quite alright for the tension. But i may have to adjust the biting point in the months to come. The bike is tuned and adjusted by Haro. So pretty much the default settings right now. Haha. Haven't got the time to ride the bike yet, will tryout on sunday and see if i need some adjustments.

If i do need to adjust the brake tension, how do i do it? Adjust the cable?

Thanks.

GMAN
    that's one way to do it. an easier way is to turn the little knurled nut on your brake lever.

Where the cables come out of your brake lever there should be a small nut and some kind of nipple that the cable housing sit in. turn the nut so that the nipple moves out more, this puts more tension in your cable. similarly, moving the nipple inwards reduces the tension.

i use this to fine tune the brake settings.
    Today is a gift; that's why it's called the present.
    The toys

that's one way to do it. an easier way is to turn the little knurled nut on your brake lever.

Where the cables come out of your brake lever there should be a small nut and some kind of nipple that the cable housing sit in. turn the nut so that the nipple moves out more, this puts more tension in your cable. similarly, moving the nipple inwards reduces the tension.

i use this to fine tune the brake settings.
    Yeah, i did that already. Haha. Hi fi you know that method too.

GMAN

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja23XX View Post
    Yeah, i did that already. Haha. Hi fi you know that method too.

GMAN
    i've been working on bikes for more than 20 years. you pick up a few tricks here and there.
    Today is a gift; that's why it's called the present.
    The toys

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123