Thread: Peace

Default Peace

Hi all, this photo was taken during a recent trip to Nanjing, China. The location was at the Nanjing Massacre Memorial Place. The photo taken is the Pillar of Peace. At the top of the pillar is a lady setting free a dove which symbolises peace.

The photo was taken from below up creating a mild silhouette with the light glowing behind the statue above. I positioned the statue slightly off the middle.

The feeling I want to bring out from this photo is a calm mood that peace brings about. Did I managed to do that ?

Composition wise - Could there be any other way to bring out the message of peace better ?
    Color wise - Would a black and white image bring out the feeling much more stronger ?

Thanks in advance.
    Panasonic Lumix FZ-8 | 一言を持って、その賢愚を知る............

Default Re: Peace

Honestly speaking... nothing peaceful about this picture to me... and without the write up, I would not have know what it's all about.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

I can barely make out what it is..
    Do you have another pic that is taken 50m away? That might just offer a different perspective.
    D3s / D3x / 18-55 f3.5 - 5.6 / 55-200 f3.5-5.6 / 50 f1.8

lucky you.. i was there on friday, only at the entrance, late by 2mins..
    taken some pictures outside.. let me find some time for the editing..

did you go to other places??
    ~40D~18-250mm /3.5, 50mm /1.8, 10-22mm /3.5, 16-35mm /2.8L, 70-200mm /2.8L 2.0x extender, 580EX mkII

what is peace?

peace is a mood, it has nothing to do with looking up at a statue in possible awe. if you want to express peace, things like still reflections of a lone tree, or a man meditating underneath a tree, these are peaceful.

that said, the way you have taken the statue means nothing to me.