Thread: Cir Polarizer

Default Cir Polarizer

question from a newbie. since we can turn circular polarizers to select our desired setting, can it be turn to a 'off' position (ie. where it becomes a 'normal' mode)? what i m planning is getting a cir pol only w/o a uv filter (since i read in a thread that most lens would have some form of uv filter 'built in') & to avoid 'stacking'

Quote Originally Posted by renegade
    question from a newbie. since we can turn circular polarizers to select our desired setting, can it be turn to a 'off' position (ie. where it becomes a 'normal' mode)? what i m planning is getting a cir pol only w/o a uv filter (since i read in a thread that most lens would have some form of uv filter 'built in') & to avoid 'stacking'
    Yes you can use it this way, however be aware that a PL filter be it linear or circular will reduce the amount of available light by around 2 stops when fitted to a camera, so in reality you are far better off to remove it when it's not needed ...
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Ian
    Yes you can use it this way, however be aware that a PL filter be it linear or circular will reduce the amount of available light by around 2 stops when fitted to a camera, so in reality you are far better off to remove it when it's not needed ...
    wow this was one of the question in my head ... forgot about it. since having extra filter does reduce the amt of light, i guess an UV filter will cause the same thing? but i read somewhere that usually the UV filter is installed to 'protect' the lens. so err ... is it recommended to have one on?

Quote Originally Posted by ndroo
    wow this was one of the question in my head ... forgot about it. since having extra filter does reduce the amt of light, i guess an UV filter will cause the same thing? but i read somewhere that usually the UV filter is installed to 'protect' the lens. so err ... is it recommended to have one on?
    The PL filter reduces the amount of light (if you notice it is grey tone thus like sunglasses simply put). UV, being clear, does not reduce the amount of light but filter out ultra-violet light that creates haziness. It protects as well.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Jay
    The PL filter reduces the amount of light (if you notice it is grey tone thus like sunglasses simply put). UV, being clear, does not reduce the amount of light but filter out ultra-violet light that creates haziness. It protects as well.

thanks for the info