Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: photographer's assistants network

Default Re: photographer's assistants network

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Just a blunt reminder, particularly to those who whats to become a PA.

A PA's usefulness is to ASSIST the photographer. That means, assisting, not learning. The PA's primarily function is to make the photographer's life easier when on the job, that includes carrying and fetching water, and more carrying of stuffs. If the PA can learn something on the side, if the photographer wants to part with some advise, that is bonus.

(Treating a PA badly is not part of the deal and should not be tolerated. A PA doing anything other than assisting ought to be sacked unless it is agreed upon explicitly with the photographer.)

I do not shoot commercially nor professionally. I had over the years, requests, to come "assist" me when I am shooting. I now decline EVERY single such request. Nearly everyone wants to come and "shoot a bit". However, from my stand point, if that is what you want, you are not really assisting me, and if you are not assisting me, why are you at the shoot. I used to agree to set a short period of time to allow the PA to shoot when I am all done. But, most wants to whip out their camera after every set. Now, I just say no.

Remember, assisting means ASSISTING, not shooting a bit.
    (I am sure the above does not apply to the seasoned, experienced and professional PAs. And this rant was not aimed at them. )
    yes i definitely agree! haha.. i think they thought PA = assistant photographers. some PAs very funny one lor. ask if they can bring their cameras to the shoot. like for what?

Quote Originally Posted by drumma View Post
    yes i definitely agree! haha.. i think they thought PA = assistant photographers. some PAs very funny one lor. ask if they can bring their cameras to the shoot. like for what?
    Like being delusional. Like being out of line. Like being not knowing what his/hers place is. Like being an idiot.
    Last edited by Deadpoet; 21st July 2009 at 03:00 PM.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Like being delusional. Like being out of line. Like being not knowing what his/hers place is. Like being and idiot.
    i can't help but mention... alot of these PAs come from CS. Sigh....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lim View Post
    i can't help but mention... alot of these PAs come from CS. Sigh....
    A good PA anticipates and waits, knowing that the photographer will want something done, but wait for the instruction from the photographer, then execute the instruction is the fastest manner possible. that is a good PA.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

A good PA anticipates and waits, knowing that the photographer will want something done, but wait for the instruction from the photographer, then execute the instruction is the fastest manner possible. that is a good PA.
    but not everyone is like that...

that's the sad thing.
    Pentax K-x

those working for $ will never anticipate
    those working with passion and with some photography knowledge will

but work for passion doesnt mean work for free
    Last edited by soeypixels; 22nd July 2009 at 10:23 PM.

many thanks to those who came down today for the chicky session. it was nice meeting you guys and hope you guys have enjoyed urself through the mini-sharing! will look forward to more of such gatherings!

Quote Originally Posted by soeypixels View Post
    those working for $ will never anticipate
    those working with passion and with some photography knowledge will

but work for passion doesnt mean work for free
    I believe PA should anticipate along with the photographer. It may not be their work but the output will be satisfying for both party. It`s part of a long term business relationship with the photographer too. Benefitical for both party!!

That what I think although I never get to work as a PA even though I`m trying to work as one for part time.

I'll share some experience I have when working for Jing Quek last year as a Assistant/Intern.

Well, as a assistant, you are basically the guy who helps him get his shoot done. That means answering calls, emails talking with clients, chasing for money, buying coffee, lunch etc. Its a whole host of things that you have to do to help the biz running and you would require quite a wide range of skills in order to accomplish them.

One of the main tasks that I had to do was getting ready all the equipment for shoots. That would mean packing the gears, preparing the cameras, lenses etc. Photographer will just tell you I need x number of lights, reflectors etc and you go figure out the rest. Pack them well in advance and make sure you don't slip up. Photographer will not be happy if you slip up on such things. Also, be on time, or even better, early. NEVER and I say again.. NEVER ever be late. Be prepared to be fired once you keep falling behind the schedule. Also, anticipate if he might have forgotten something. Like, wouldn't you need this reflector, or do you need the extra pocket wiz, etc. No harm being safe. Also, learn how to set up equipment before the shoot. The photographer is going to be really distracted if he has to teach you on the spot. And worst still, you keep forgetting.

At the shoot, be fast and careful with the equipment. I was working with Profoto lights and they are way into the thousands and 10 thousands.. so be careful when setting up, but yet remain really quick. Time is money, and wasting time only pisses the photographer. If possible, ask the P-graher, what kind of setup he wants. What formation etc. This will help aid your time when setting up and stop asking him silly qns like.. err.. Is this suppose to be here etc.

During the shoot, keep a look out for anything that might go wrong, lighting not firing etc. PW out of battery etc. Tell the photographer. Run if you have to make changes. Who likes waiting isn't it?

Once the shoot is done, be quick in packing. Again, be careful not to leave anything behind. Get accustom to a particular workflow so that you know how things function and run.

Back at the office, answer calls, help with planning, scheduling, emails etc. Learn to go hungry if you have to when schedule is tight. Also, learn to be prepared to move out on short notice, e.g. eating your lunch before turning up etc.

A good assistant can make the life of a photographer alot easier. Best of course if you drive. That will save the photographer alot of time thinking and driving you around.

Lastly, the biggest myth of a assistant is that he needs to know how to shoot well. thats one of the biggest myth that I never understand why. Good knowledge helps but its not necessary. More impt is you learn how to operate the equipment as you will be seldom-almost never called upon to shoot. If you do your job well, the photographer will definitely treat you well.

Have fun and Learn! It was one of my best times in my life working for Jing and learning from him. =)

Quote Originally Posted by aquacocoa85 View Post
    I'll share some experience I have when working for Jing Quek last year as a Assistant/Intern.

Well, as a assistant, you are basically the guy who helps him get his shoot done. That means answering calls, emails talking with clients, chasing for money, buying coffee, lunch etc. Its a whole host of things that you have to do to help the biz running and you would require quite a wide range of skills in order to accomplish them.

One of the main tasks that I had to do was getting ready all the equipment for shoots. That would mean packing the gears, preparing the cameras, lenses etc. Photographer will just tell you I need x number of lights, reflectors etc and you go figure out the rest. Pack them well in advance and make sure you don't slip up. Photographer will not be happy if you slip up on such things. Also, be on time, or even better, early. NEVER and I say again.. NEVER ever be late. Be prepared to be fired once you keep falling behind the schedule. Also, anticipate if he might have forgotten something. Like, wouldn't you need this reflector, or do you need the extra pocket wiz, etc. No harm being safe. Also, learn how to set up equipment before the shoot. The photographer is going to be really distracted if he has to teach you on the spot. And worst still, you keep forgetting.

At the shoot, be fast and careful with the equipment. I was working with Profoto lights and they are way into the thousands and 10 thousands.. so be careful when setting up, but yet remain really quick. Time is money, and wasting time only pisses the photographer. If possible, ask the P-graher, what kind of setup he wants. What formation etc. This will help aid your time when setting up and stop asking him silly qns like.. err.. Is this suppose to be here etc.

During the shoot, keep a look out for anything that might go wrong, lighting not firing etc. PW out of battery etc. Tell the photographer. Run if you have to make changes. Who likes waiting isn't it?

Once the shoot is done, be quick in packing. Again, be careful not to leave anything behind. Get accustom to a particular workflow so that you know how things function and run.

Back at the office, answer calls, help with planning, scheduling, emails etc. Learn to go hungry if you have to when schedule is tight. Also, learn to be prepared to move out on short notice, e.g. eating your lunch before turning up etc.

A good assistant can make the life of a photographer alot easier. Best of course if you drive. That will save the photographer alot of time thinking and driving you around.

Lastly, the biggest myth of a assistant is that he needs to know how to shoot well. thats one of the biggest myth that I never understand why. Good knowledge helps but its not necessary. More impt is you learn how to operate the equipment as you will be seldom-almost never called upon to shoot. If you do your job well, the photographer will definitely treat you well.

Have fun and Learn! It was one of my best times in my life working for Jing and learning from him. =)
    haha. that sums up how it feels working for jing.

Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    haha. that sums up how it feels working for jing.
    actually most PAs' job scopes are like this isn't it?
    but i don't talk to clients and chase money... haha..

Hi, Fellow PAs.. I am a full time PA working with a Fashion based Photographer.. My boss only do editorial and commercial stuffs, but i am quite interested in exploring and assisting other fields of photographer if possible, was doing freelance assisting before i joined as a full timer about a year ago.. and i am relatively quite new and am trying to learn the tips n tricks of photography, and also to assist as much as possible to make life easier for all.. =) i must say this is really a very interesting thread and a very useful one.. we should have such PAs community long ago.. =)

Jason Ang / 25
    jasonhooha@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by aquacocoa85 View Post

when did u work for him.. i worked for him too.. and its also what i learnt too.. hahaha

I worked for him back in May 2008. =) when did you do so?

Sorry for not being able to work for 9****126 yesterday as I had an assignment with the crew that I usually work with.

Thanks for offering me the job even though I couldn't take it up. I really appreciate your call! Should you still need an assistant do inform me early (best if before 3pm on the day prior to the shoot). Feel free to drop me a PM too. T
    Last edited by Rawbeansta; 23rd September 2009 at 09:40 PM.
    Canon EOS 6D | 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM | 24-70mm f/2.8L USM | 50mm f/1.4 HSM | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

Quote Originally Posted by drumma View Post
    that's same age as me!
    Sry for the late reply, haven't been checking this thread for some time. Do notify me if you guys have another meet-up
    Canon EOS 6D | 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM | 24-70mm f/2.8L USM | 50mm f/1.4 HSM | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

haha.. well... it's quite hard to organise a meetup due to everyone's busy schedules..

Hi all, am new to the clubsnap forum.

I've been a Freelance Photography / Film, Video assistant for almost 5 years. I've heard that there is an photography assistant association created? Could someone fill in more details?

cheerio

Quote Originally Posted by gintonic View Post
    Hi all, am new to the clubsnap forum.

I've been a Freelance Photography / Film, Video assistant for almost 5 years. I've heard that there is an photography assistant association created? Could someone fill in more details?

cheerio
    i was trying to form a network when i was still assisting. i'm not sure if there are any associations before me.
    but gave up due to lack of participation/time management. perhaps u might want to start one or continue from this thread.

good luck!

Hi all, i am new to the whole PA job. I want to learn more about photography so i thought it is good to start out as a PA. Can anyone tell me more about being a PA? What are the basics that u must must know to become one?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast