View Poll Results: Which L series lens would you prefer?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • 70~200mm f/2.8 L IS USM

37 68.52%
  • 70~200mm f/4 L IS USM

17 31.48%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dilemma!

Default Re: Dilemma!

Depends on whether you need the extra one stop of light which doesnt come cheap.Unless you shoot low-light with your tele, the f4 version is fine.

It is like either buying a 2 liter BMW or a 3 liter inline 6. I will go for the 3 liter even if the speed limit is only 90. Why? The power is there if and when you need it. So f4 or f2.8, I go for the 2.8 and preferably the IS because you can cover a greater range and nicer bokeh. Yes, it is heavy but you will get used to it. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by meDaniel View Post

Thanks for the recommendation on renting both the lens to test it out first. Will do that but any idea where I can rent it?
    Hi meDaniel,

You can try renting both lenses from this person on CS. Canon Rental Gear

I have rented from him and him good to deal with.

Cheers ....
    40D|BG-E2N|24-105L F4.0 IS USM |70-200L F2.8 IS USM

Hi, i don't know if this has been suggested yet - 135/2. i find the 2.8 too big to lug around the whole day, but the f4 doesn't cut it for me coz i do a lot of indoor ambient (no flash) stuff. The 135/2 is a perfect telephoto substitute for me and i've been using it for many years already. Always delivers.

Default Re: Dilemma! (I got my lens!)

Quote Originally Posted by chris0804 View Post
    It is like either buying a 2 liter BMW or a 3 liter inline 6. I will go for the 3 liter even if the speed limit is only 90. Why? The power is there if and when you need it. So f4 or f2.8, I go for the 2.8 and preferably the IS because you can cover a greater range and nicer bokeh. Yes, it is heavy but you will get used to it. Cheers.
    I get what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Deyeno View Post
    Hi meDaniel,

You can try renting both lenses from this person on CS. Canon Rental Gear

I have rented from him and him good to deal with.

Cheers ....
    Thanks a lot! I will rent the next few lens i want to get in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by ST1100 View Post
    Hi, i don't know if this has been suggested yet - 135/2. i find the 2.8 too big to lug around the whole day, but the f4 doesn't cut it for me coz i do a lot of indoor ambient (no flash) stuff. The 135/2 is a perfect telephoto substitute for me and i've been using it for many years already. Always delivers.
    Nope, no one suggested that. But thanks.

And a big thank you to everyone who have help me out here. I just got my 70~200mm f/4 L IS USM lens today at Cathay Photo.

Decided that I will be taking lots of landscape and stuff outdoors. So I don't think I will need such a powerful lens. If I ever do need one, I will see how I can settle that. Once again, thanks.

If you often shoot under low light, f2.8, if not f4.0.

I dun bother abt weight because what matter is the output. I will go for f2.8 as I require to. Most important is your need.

Hello everyone. I'm new here and my opinion probably does not matter, but being a 2.8 owner i wanted to help the TS out.

(1) The f2.8 USM L 70-200mm is an IS lens. For large lenses such as these, the IS is vital. It really can make the difference between getting a good,sharp image and a bad,blurry one.
    I highly recommend the f/2.8 IS as the focusing is super quick and the heavy lens makes the whole system sturdier.

(2) If you are a full grown man, you should have no problem carrying this lens unless you're really weak. I walked 7 km today with the camera and lens both hanging from my neck , and i don't feel any pain whatsoever. But maybe i'm just big and strong for my age (17) , 6 foot 1 inch and better than average frame. However, this lens has great build quality and definitely worth the extra cash and load. This is the best lens i have used, and when i bought it i compared it with the f4 and the f4 did not stand a chance. I highly recommend you buy this lens. It is definitely worth the 2800 dollars or so.

Quote Originally Posted by josho View Post
    If you often shoot under low light, f2.8, if not f4.0.

I dun bother abt weight because what matter is the output. I will go for f2.8 as I require to. Most important is your need.
    That's right. The best advice is : Buy the best, and buy it if you feel the need.

ah nevermind, you got the f4.

good luck and enjoy !!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12