Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taking straight photographs

Blog Entries

Default Re: Taking straight photographs

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post

Trust Ortega to come up with the mo-tech way of doing it! I did mention 'normal camera' mah!
    the flat bed scanner cause the copy stands to become obsolete

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    it is truth, to spend $300+++ for copy stands to do flat copywork, might as well just get a flatbed scanner is only $100+
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    back in the 80's when there is no scanner, we still able to charge $15~$35 per piece for doing simple flat copywork, things are rather easy when we can use a copy stand, just use a carpenter spirit level on the board and a spirit level on 120 camera back or 35mm hotshoe, but works get complicated when the art work too large, need to paste on the wall or place on the floor.

so I get headache of how to get perfect perpendicular, and later I discover I can just simply use a mirror to check perpendicular, and it works wonders. And strangely, I can't find this method mention in all the photography books I came across, when I share this tips to other photographers, and they disbelieve it at first, but proved it is a simple method once they try it out.
    Aiyo, as you said, that was old school, so many of the present phorographers have not used this trick before mah
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

I woun't say obsolete lar, if the artwork is textured like Oil Painting or have a frame, the copy stand will still be the choice of use mah
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    I woun't say obsolete lar, if the artwork is textured like Oil Painting or have a frame, the copy stand will still be the choice of use mah
    you have a point there
    i stand corrected

Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    Take iron melt paint and flatten first! Hohohohohohoho!

Actually, I believe it was Hasselblad who first presented the idea of using round, flat mirrors to square away the camera perfectly (they claimed 2/60 degree accuracy), but their device, called the Linear Mirror Unit used two mirrors, one mounted through a T-mount onto the camera body. http://www.clubhasselblad.com/hassel...ar-mirror-unit

Using one mirror can get accuracy above 90% quite easily, but if you use two opposing mirrors, you get crazy degrees of accuracy, provided the mirror on the camera is mounted parallell to the film/sensor plane.

Now, imagine using a view camera, a normal to longish lens and front rise to repo any kind of reflective artworks through glass or large, moderately flat areas of reflective oil paintings.

Waah, all the old bird secrets come out liao. Wonder if the newbies know how to use or not.

In this day and age, not much secrets liow lar. As catchlights said, sometimes tell the secrets also on one believe, think you are kooku

you have a point there
    i stand corrected

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12