Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Time to upgrade my PC

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon
    Hmm.. thought that package costs ard 2K. It is P4 HT tech 3.0z with 256 Mb ram. How u managed to reduce it to 1.7k?
    I got the one with 2.6ghz HT. I took out the monitor, modem and speakers as I have them in hand

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie123
    I would suggest getting a ATI graphics card =) ATI is known for their better image quality. Of course if you are not into gaming, the Matrox G400 is a very good card for its 2D images.
    long time no see

Wow, everyone upgrading huh... me too
    Pretty tiring processing & archiving 1000 RAW images from my recent trip on my AMD K6-500Mhz PC ... yeah, definitely getting a DVD-writer too...
    Probably getting another AMD system similar to espn's suggestion but prob going for 2600+ and Soltek board, with the DVDwriter should be less than 1k..
    Probably also buying majority of parts from a shop and asking them to assemble for me...
    As for the the graphics card, anyone knows if the AGP 4x and 8x thingy affects performance for Photoshop processing etc? Wondering if I can retain my current Matrox 400 card (which is dunno AGP how many x ...)

..NuTs..

hi guys,
    some things to note....

CPU : whetther its intel or AMD, both pretty good... i'm an AMD fan... but as long as you do not get the EXTRA high end intel stuff that is WAY overpriced... quite good value.... one thing to note that for both the P4 and the athlon xp , there are a few variants... fot the P4 try to get a P4C ( 800mhz FSB / 512 KB l2 cache ) and for the athlon also get the "C" version....

Display card : generally nVidia has got a poor reputation wrt image quality... Ati has mucho better 2d ... and they currently hold the fastest graphics card ....for picture editing etc... i think Ati would be better... if you don't play games... can get a Matrox, which has even better image quality....

RAM : 512 is about as much as you need or rather about how much windows xp can properly utilize.... anything more and you should be running win2k or linux....

Casing : anything dat looks nice .... like real..... i assume you guys dun wan a 250 dollar aluminium casing that comes sans power supply .... so get anything dat looks nice AND has a decent power supply... by decent a mean at least 300watt...and even these power ratings from some yum cha brand is dubious.... but todaes procc are realli power hunger... the p4 sucks up to 120 watts....so better b safe dan sorri....

er anything else???

note: if made any mistake feel free to point it out, anywayz we all here to help out

A stupid question here. If DIY, who will supply the win XP?

A stupid question here. If DIY, who will supply the win XP?
    Buy full or OEM (the REAL OEM, not...) version from the shop you buy your parts??

maybe you guys should start a MO for DIY pc :P can bargain for better price if you're getting more stuff from the shop.

WIN XP Home upgrade version is around $160
    full version is around $400

thats 2-3months back when i went down :P maybe it dropped?

some shops offer packages that comes with Softwares. there is an Open office that is downloadable and works just like microsoft office and can save in office formats.

maybe my system sucks.. but im using an AMD 1600xp.. and when i do intensive photo editing on photo shop, it blacks out after an hour or 2..

Deregistered

Micro$ux Windoze? What is windoze? Linux ruleZ!

Take your pick!! Redhat, Mandrake, FreeBSD... etc

I'm using a AMD 1Ghz ThunderBird + 640MB SDRAM, heehee running fine, maybe lovells19, your system is over heated?

maybe... i got 3 extracting fans and 1 in coming.

changed to a bigger heat sink with fan on the cpu,, well in the end i opened up the casing aimed the aircon at it.. well it lasted longer :P

i did tried using linux redhat.. but they do not have sufficient support for hardware the interface was good though.

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie123
    I would suggest getting a ATI graphics card =) ATI is known for their better image quality. Of course if you are not into gaming, the Matrox G400 is a very good card for its 2D images.
    Still got G400 now?

A P4 2.6C + 865PE chipset = $460-$520
    A 2x512MB DDR= $350

leave very little for anything else..

y need so high ram? think 512 should be sufficient.....

I think u should give gf4mx a miss....Either go for gf4ti or one of the latest ATI.

Thanks to everyone for the respond. I have gotten the following parts:

CPU:
    INTEL Pentium-4 2.6GHz (2.6c/512K/HyperThreading/Box) 800MHz FSB

Motherboard:
    ASUStek P4P800 (Intel 865PE) 800MHz FSB+Dual Channel DDR

Memory:
    2x KINGSTON 256MB (PC-3200/CL2.5)400MHz DDR SDRAM

Display Card:
    POWER COLOUR Radeon 9600 PRO EZ (AGP8x) 256MB DDR

Casing:
    DX-01BD-U BLACK 400W + 4FAN CASING

The budget is a bit out but it meets my need. PM me if you want to know the actual price or breakdown price.

See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Quote Originally Posted by megaweb
    Thanks to everyone for the respond. I have gotten the following parts:

CPU:
    INTEL Pentium-4 2.6GHz (2.6c/512K/HyperThreading/Box) 800MHz FSB

Motherboard:
    ASUStek P4P800 (Intel 865PE) 800MHz FSB+Dual Channel DDR

Memory:
    2x KINGSTON 256MB (PC-3200/CL2.5)400MHz DDR SDRAM

Display Card:
    POWER COLOUR Radeon 9600 PRO EZ (AGP8x) 256MB DDR

Casing:
    DX-01BD-U BLACK 400W + 4FAN CASING

The budget is a bit out but it meets my need. PM me if you want to know the actual price or breakdown price.

up and running already? by the way check your PM

Would be a big difference between using an integrated graphics card and one that is not when come to photo editing?

Quote Originally Posted by rncw
    up and running already? by the way check your PM
    yeah !

is the parts good ?
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Quote Originally Posted by megaweb
    yeah !

is the parts good ?
    Hmm.. the Gfx card.....
    hmm..

but well.. ..

gundamz
    Guests

i think u should put in alittle more cash. then maybe can get a better deal..

Quote Originally Posted by Bluestrike
    Hmm.. the Gfx card.....
    hmm..

but well.. ..
    yah lor, since mega interested in photo-editing, tell him to buy 'branded' graphics card to get better image quality instead he go and buy powercolor

Would be a big difference between using an integrated graphics card and one that is not when come to photo editing?
    er.... since graphics cards are not realli dat expensive why not juz get one... even if u do not play games u can get a matrox or mehbe an Ati 9000/9100/9200 series .... it will sure beat the crap out of the integrated graphics. Well most integrated graphics are preeeti poor... using quite old graphics cores dat haf been tweaked past their useful life...the exception would be the nforce2 based mobos but they command a premium that imho is nor realli worth cos with dat premium u can top up a bit and get a decent graphics card. U can try see if shops still haf the matrox g450 or g400 ... its old but its 2d is still awesome...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast