Thread: Len For 500D

Default Len For 500D

Hi All,

I am very new to DSLR. Just purchase a 500D Kit1. I am thinking to get one more Len for long zoom. I have a few question below need help.

1. Should I get a 2nd hand Len or 1st Hand?
    2. Where can i find cheap 2nd hand or 1st hand len?
    3. Which Len will you advice? (The long zoom is for concert or some sport.)

Default Re: Len For 500D

"Len" is not a word. It's "lens" or, if plural, "lenses".

1. Up to you lah. Do you need full warranty? Do you have money?
    2. 1st hand, the shops. Check the priceguide forum section. Second hand, clubsnap has a Marketplace section. Go look there.
    3. There are too many factors to consider, such as available lighting, your budget, etc. You might be happy witha 70-200, or maybe you want a 300mm, or a 600mm!

Know what you need first. Don't let others tell you what to get.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by charlie82 View Post
    I am very new to DSLR. Just purchase a 500D Kit1. I am thinking to get one more Len for long zoom. I have a few question below need help.

Being new and running for equipment is a sure thing for getting chopped in shops or buying things that you don't need but somebody told you it's a nice thing ...
    Apart from the spelling you need to know about the parameter of a lens (maximum aperture, focal length) and how they influence the usage. The less light is available (e.g. in concerts) the better the lens must be which will definitely drive up the price.
    1) Depends on you. Properly stored lenses don't deteriorate and can be used for long time. But some people must have sparkling new things, can't accept other people's finger prints.
    2) Don't look for cheap but rather reasonable prices that are in line with your budget. Have you defined it?
    3) Make your own decision based on knowledge and needs (not wants). Read reviews, they give a good feedback what the lens is capable of under well-defined conditions. Keep in mind that your skills will more likely affect the images.

3) Depending on where u are in the concert, u may even opt for a ultra wide angle

first of all i think you need to consider your budget

that wil help you filter out if you want it first hand or second hand

then you need to ask yourself if you want warranty, or if you are very particular of for example, dust in lens

then you will know if first hand lenses or second hand ones will suit you.

there is always shops and buy and sell forums, look around.

and F.Y.I i suppose concerts are rather dim, and flash is not allowed,

most cheaper zoom lenses at the end of the zoom say 250mm ( for the canon 55-250 in yr case)

is at f/5.6, which may be a problem. so your only solution is to crank up ISO to maybe 800-1600

and get a f/2.8 constant zoom such as the 70-200 L which is rather expensive

be clear on what you are going to use it for and consider your budget then decide
    Pentax K-x

Yup need to know your budget too.

Unless you use very frequently...rent first.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

I would go for 2nd hand lenses. Bring a friend along who knows how to check for dodgy lenses when you meetup with seller.

Quote Originally Posted by freelancephoto View Post
    I would go for 2nd hand lenses. Bring a friend along who knows how to check for dodgy lenses when you meetup with seller.
    Have a look here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311048
    In case your friend can't make it.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie82 View Post
    Hi All,

Hi charlie,

Can you let us know what subjects are you shooting from which kind of long range?

1) Aviary?
    2) Airplanes?
    3) Street Candids?
    4) Animals?
    5) Wedding potraits?

You have to be more specific when you are asking a general questions. Otherwise the advices which you get may not be exactly be fulfilling your needs. We do not want you to end up spending more than you should as well.