Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wedding Photographers Beware - Scam Alert !!

Default Re: Wedding Photographers Beware - Scam Alert !!

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    but none of them want you to take their photographs!
    some girls want to spend photos of herself............................... you want?

Do not ignore me please,
    I found your email somewhere and now decided to write you.
    Let me know if you do not mind. If you want I can send you some pictures of me.
    I am a nice pretty girl. Don't reply to this email.
    Email me direclty at dciera@******.com
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Old scam at least for US. They will advise you and even mail you a fake TT normally it take a bank in US (that is not located at the clearing bank state) at least 7 to 10 days to have the clearing bank advise that the TT whatever is fake. The amount is always much much more than what was agreed upon. You will be asked to return the difference. Since your bank did not say otherwise ..... you could be conned into send money only to find that you have been conned when your bank gets back to you with the bad news.

when a deal is too good it it probably not going to happen.

This is the first time i heard about scam like this. Usually it's abt giving "FREE" money. This is about engaging photographer. Hahaha! Really Interesting. Scammers and their criminal minds.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    I didn't know that my business contacts are so good, everyday I received some business proposals from all over the world, they are bankers, ministers, royal families, warlords etc willing to offer me half a million to a few million dollars, ... just to do some simple tasks for them in return...

anyway, I'm only interested on taking care of my photography business, so if anyone keen to take up these business proposals, let me know, I can forwards all these offers to you.

Got anyone sent you 4D numbers or not?

Can share?

highly entertaining stuff. keep the scams coming in! makes for a good read.

Ok, have read in one of the overseas wedding forums about such cases.

Usually what they do is ask you for some names and all to do some money order or send you some cheque for it...whatever it is, these are payments that take days to clear.

For some reasons, these folks tend to be rather bad not just in their English (judging from the grammar), but also in their Mathematics. What you'll get is a cheque that is much more than you asked for the downpayment. Say you needed $3500 for deposit, and they'll send you a cheque of $6000, and usually, the scammer will tell you either 1) that they've made a mistake and thought that the extra monies were for the travel and lodging expenses OR 2) these are extra allowance given to all priviledged vendors of the wedding couple.

Usually, the "wedding" will take place in some remote ulu place in some 6 stars exotica hotel that's unheard of - thus explaining why they target overseas photographers. Soon after, some representatives or coordinators will contact you with regards to discounted air tickets + lodging since they are getting some too-good-to-be-true deals and get you to pay for it. Another variation would be asking you for some security deposit because you'll be staying in 6 stars hotel, and no worries, if you don't touch their bar counter, you'll be refunded the security deposit in full.

Payment to them will have to be immediate because of the tight cut-off date, so you have to do a wire transfer or western union of some sort. So after wiring the money, it's not too hard to guess -cheque bounces, coordinator disappear, client disappear, and your money disappear along with it.

Ok, some suggestions about overseas wedding jobs that I will never compromise. Doing an overseas wedding job is already stressful enough, and compromising on these will make me very uncomfortable...the last thing I want are these extra baggages.

1. As many have mentioned in this thread, if the deal is too good to be true, well, it's probably not going to take place.

2. My payment system is 60% retainer fee (non-refundable) upon confirmation of service and 40% balance payment 2 - 3 weeks before the wedding take place. Again, if they don't agree with this term, they can find someone else. So far, I've done several overseas weddings and clients who are geniune never have issues with that. Why 60%? Take into account my opportunity cost when I fly especially on the popular dates here, and also, part of this payment should cover the logistical part such as airfare and lodging.

3. All air travel and lodging arrangements are bourned by the client, but purchase and booking should be done by my side only. I will never buy tickets that are low value or from budget airline because they don't allow me to change my travel dates or get a refund. For example, if my assistant falls sick just before the trip, I can't simply substitute him with another person without having to purchase another ticket. Few months ago, I had a couple who insisted that they should the one paying for my air ticket (she mentioned that Emirates tickets are cheapest to Melbourne @$400+ inclusive of tax) and I'm really glad that I didn't take up the job that is supposed to take place some time in late June 09. Even if I've taken up the job, I would have asked for it to be postponed, looking at the pandemic situation in the state.

4. Same goes with hotel, you don't want your client to check you into some super budget motels that has security issues. With 30k worth of equipment, and a chance for the wedding photos to be stolen along with it, I would want to make sure that the photos are in the hotel safe when I go out for my dinner. When I first got my overseas wedding jobs, being new to all these, we agreed to let the client settle the lodging and guess what? They checked me into the budget hotel right next to the 4 star hotel where the banquet was held. I had to change room twice because my room door as well as the main window couldn't be properly locked; all the keys to the rooms could be easily duplicated and best part of it, there's a notice on every room about the rampant break ins in the hotel, thus guests are advised not to leave their valuables in the hotel room.

5. Also, I won't take up last minute job offers. Too much stress and hassle to plan and arrange for all these in such short notice.

Much as they are going to be held in some venues with breath taking settings with nice lightings bla bla bla, there are so many things to consider in such jobs that unless they pay a high premium for it, I don't think it's worth my time esp with the risks involved. There are just many things that are beyond your control when you're not on home ground... sorry for the slight OT.

Quote Originally Posted by canturn View Post
    Ok, some suggestions about overseas wedding jobs that I will never compromise. Doing an overseas wedding job is already stressful enough, and compromising on these will make me very uncomfortable...the last thing I want are these extra baggages.

1. As many have mentioned in this thread, if the deal is too good to be true, well, it's probably not going to take place.

2. My payment system is 60% retainer fee (non-refundable) upon confirmation of service and 40% balance payment 2 - 3 weeks before the wedding take place. Again, if they don't agree with this term, they can find someone else. So far, I've done several overseas weddings and clients who are geniune never have issues with that. Why 60%? Take into account my opportunity cost when I fly especially on the popular dates here, and also, part of this payment should cover the logistical part such as airfare and lodging.

3. All air travel and lodging arrangements are bourned by the client, but purchase and booking should be done by my side only. I will never buy tickets that are low value or from budget airline because they don't allow me to change my travel dates or get a refund. For example, if my assistant falls sick just before the trip, I can't simply substitute him with another person without having to purchase another ticket. Few months ago, I had a couple who insisted that they should the one paying for my air ticket (she mentioned that Emirates tickets are cheapest to Melbourne @$400+ inclusive of tax) and I'm really glad that I didn't take up the job that is supposed to take place some time in late June 09. Even if I've taken up the job, I would have asked for it to be postponed, looking at the pandemic situation in the state.

4. Same goes with hotel, you don't want your client to check you into some super budget motels that has security issues. With 30k worth of equipment, and a chance for the wedding photos to be stolen along with it, I would want to make sure that the photos are in the hotel safe when I go out for my dinner. When I first got my overseas wedding jobs, being new to all these, we agreed to let the client settle the lodging and guess what? They checked me into the budget hotel right next to the 4 star hotel where the banquet was held. I had to change room twice because my room door as well as the main window couldn't be properly locked; all the keys to the rooms could be easily duplicated and best part of it, there's a notice on every room about the rampant break ins in the hotel, thus guests are advised not to leave their valuables in the hotel room.

5. Also, I won't take up last minute job offers. Too much stress and hassle to plan and arrange for all these in such short notice.

Much as they are going to be held in some venues with breath taking settings with nice lightings bla bla bla, there are so many things to consider in such jobs that unless they pay a high premium for it, I don't think it's worth my time esp with the risks involved. There are just many things that are beyond your control when you're not on home ground... sorry for the slight OT.
    Canturn, thanks for sharing very real concerns in overseas photography. those opportunities always look very attractive since the photographer gets to travel and all, and tends to forget the potential pitfalls.
    www.colouredshots.com
    Kodak film disposable camera

Quote Originally Posted by antacid View Post
    Canturn, thanks for sharing very real concerns in overseas photography. those opportunities always look very attractive since the photographer gets to travel and all, and tends to forget the potential pitfalls.
    To be honest, I don't really "travel" when I go overseas for shoot. All the overseas jobs this year, are all fly in today, shoot next day, fly out day after next day. To me, everyday I spend there is eating into my profit margin, plus every other day there another day worrying about your bags and all.

I've got a wedding job taking place in Melbourne this coming September, and the last thing I want to do is stay another day there.

For canturn (although it's OT from the scam thread, ahem),
    Wouldn't you take at least a day or two to perhaps scout other locations.
    *Sorry, deskbound job, always great to fantasize what it would be like to fly in and fly out
    -------------------------------
    Endure. In enduring grow strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Zichar View Post
    For canturn (although it's OT from the scam thread, ahem),
    Wouldn't you take at least a day or two to perhaps scout other locations.
    *Sorry, deskbound job, always great to fantasize what it would be like to fly in and fly out
    We're talking about actual day wedding, which I do a lot overseas...not so much the pre-wedding. And locations wise for the wedding day portraits for the couple, I leave it to them to decide, it's usually a short 2 hour session.

And it's not as glamourous as you think it is to fly-in fly-out, really.

Always see long story , cut short, equals = Fake. Ignore and delete

vince123123
    Guests

Whilst the other stories are interesting, I am having some difficulty seeing how the TS's scam report operates. There doesn't appear to be any requests for money yet so far.

I was offered a job at Joe Buissink. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee View Post
    I was offered a job at Joe Buissink. LOL!
    wow, congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by canturn View Post
    wow, congrats!
    Until I found out it was a scam my friends did on me. LOL!!

I hv received my fair share, but i never open them -- the subject line was enuf for me to push the delete button.

Some (innocent) forumers still don't seem to get the point...

The scam is not the picture-taking, but the personal info (yr bank account, address, etc) that the perpetrator wants.

Thanks to TS for contributing this post. More should be made aware, otherwise many gullible piggies in the heartlands will be slaughtered.

cheers

URgh! I just get disgusted with people who fool others to get money.. anyway, to regain my composure, anything that asks rush money or payments online from unknown or unfamiliar transactions should be deleted.

omg i wan them all!

what do they gain?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast