Thread: Terminology and this and that

Default Terminology and this and that

Hi just wanna find out what some terms mean-
    Front focusing
    Rear focusing

where in singapore can we rent a lens to play with before we buy it?

Can a polariser replace a hood for a lens? How is it different?

I hav a Canon 40D and would like to know if i can use the built in flash in combo with an external speedlite?

and lastly and purely for interest sake- has there been a singaporean who is a magnum photographer?

Default Re: Terminology and this and that

This page should explain the focusing part http://regex.info/blog/photo-tech/focus-chart

Clubsnap commercial services u can find rentals http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54

Blog Entries

let me try

front focusing - should mean when you auto focus the focus point in actually slightly in front of your actual point of focus
    rear focusing - is the same as front focusing, just that it is slightly at the back

right here in CS
    Commercial Services Offered Equipment/Studio Rentals, Printing and other photography-related services.

no the polariser can not/does not replace the lens hood, they serve different purposes
    the polariser is to cut reflected light from non metallic surfaces while the lens hood is use to prevent lens flare

cannot answer this one as i use nikon

not sure, but i think so

From wiki, no one is listed from singapore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnum_Photos

Thanks for the quick reply,

Hey canon users out there. Could anyone ans the qws on the 40D being able to use the built in flash and ext flash simult?

also , some lenses tht i had looked at seem "brigher" than others eg the sigma 18-200. Is this to do with the aperture or what actually explains this subjective "brightness". I didnt adj the LCD brightness.
    Last edited by Johnsoo; 16th June 2009 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsoo View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply,

Hey canon users out there. Could anyone ans the qws on the 40D being able to use the built in flash and ext flash simult?

also , some lenses tht i had looked at seem "brigher" than others eg the sigma 18-200. Is this to do with the aperture or what actually explains this subjective "brightness". I didnt adj the LCD brightness.
    read your flash manual. only one flash, either on board of external can be used at a time
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsoo View Post
    Not without any additional equipment. From the various equipment I have seen (not tested) there are several ways. Cheapest way seems to me using an optical slave coupled with external flash. The camera flash will trigger the optical slave just by the flash light. From that slave you could also trigger multiple flashes.
    All other setups involve either hotshoe triggers or cables that will be connected to the hotshoe. So your onboard flash is deactivated. Have a look at this online shop to get some ideas: Tago Tech I-Store (I'm not involved into this business, no advertisement)

Where does what appear brighter? Image in viewfinder? Image on LCD during image review?