Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: TNP yesterday. Photography permitted??

vince123123
    Guests

Default Re: TNP yesterday. Photography permitted??

It seems a lot of people are not sure about the rights of security guards, even though I've discussed this at length on many occassions in the forums.

Short answer is that their ONLY right is to ask you to leave. Nothing more nothing less. Those who try to be funny to confine or detain you or confiscate or whatever, will take up exposure to criminal prosecutions for theft, robbery, criminal intimidation, or wrongful restraint/confinement. Those who try to muscle you into a room will face possible exposure for criminal force.

Those who want the long answer can do a search

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    It seems a lot of people are not sure about the rights of security guards, even though I've discussed this at length on many occassions in the forums.

Short answer is that their ONLY right is to ask you to leave. Nothing more nothing less. Those who try to be funny to confine or detain you or confiscate or whatever, will take up exposure to criminal prosecutions for theft, robbery, criminal intimidation, or wrongful restraint/confinement. Those who try to muscle you into a room will face possible exposure for criminal force.

Those who want the long answer can do a search
    Thanks!

So we can start snapping or video when they try to do anything more than asking us to leave

Well, in places like shopping centre, they have already clearly put the "no photography" sign at the entrance... By insisting of taking pictures inside, you're obviously asking for trouble...

It's like entering someone's house with your shoes still on when the ground rules are so clear...
    I am NOT a PROfessional photographer and photography is NOT my hobby

vince123123
    Guests

Can you tell me which shopping centre has a No Photography sign at the entrance? I've yet to see one really.

Quote Originally Posted by Youhong View Post
    Well, in places like shopping centre, they have already clearly put the "no photography" sign at the entrance... By insisting of taking pictures inside, you're obviously asking for trouble...

It's like entering someone's house with your shoes still on when the ground rules are so clear...

Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    fyi, security guards do not have the rights to arrest anyone. even if you did something criminal, they can only detain u till the cops get there.
    Oh oh, okay, i see.
    Clean. Simple. Makes out a good composition.

Can you tell me which shopping centre has a No Photography sign at the entrance? I've yet to see one really.
    I dont really know, but once I shoot at changi airport terminal 3 yea, then I saw the chocolate factory there yea, and I stood just outside, a lil step into the shop and wanted to shoot the chocolate products. But the shopkeeper told you I cannot shoot the stuff.
    Then me and my friend said "oh okay, sorry" then went off.
    Is it right? Or by right we can shoot? Even if I am gonna stand really outside the shop, not stepping onto the floor of the shop, trying to zoom in, is it possible that the shopkeeper cannot ask me not to shoot?

vince123123
    Guests

That's different, its a shop with a sign; thats common. I was asking about shopping centre entrances; ie the whole mall says cannot shoot.

As for your speicific situation, in my personal view, the legal position is so long as you are outside his premises, you can shoot inside. If the shop is within a mall; you can keep shooting from outside his shop until he gets a mall manager or representative to evict you from the mall itself.

He can however, keep asking you not to shoot; or call security or use his body to block you;' but short of these, he can't really do much toyou.

Quote Originally Posted by LomoPhotographer View Post
    I dont really know, but once I shoot at changi airport terminal 3 yea, then I saw the chocolate factory there yea, and I stood just outside, a lil step into the shop and wanted to shoot the chocolate products. But the shopkeeper told you I cannot shoot the stuff.
    Is it right? Or by right we can shoot? Even if I am gonna stand really outside the shop, not stepping onto the floor of the shop, trying to zoom in, is it possible that the shopkeeper cannot ask me not to shoot?

There are a few. Orchard Paragon, for example. Which others, I can't recall off-hand... will update when I have the full list.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

vince123123
    Guests

Okay, I'll love to look at this list; next to go inside and see if anyone is spotted taking photos; then ask the mall security to evict them. See if there's any double standards in enforcement

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    There are a few. Orchard Paragon, for example. Which others, I can't recall off-hand... will update when I have the full list.

Well there was this incident that happened quite some time ago, I was at the Tanjong Pagar railway station, I went inside to take some photos of the rail and the interiors. Then there is this policemen, which appears to be the Malaysian police. He kinda "invited" me to his office and told us no photography inside and he told us to delete the photos, I deleted them to prevent myself from getting into any trouble. Now that I am aware of this, is taking photos of the train station illegal, I have seen many photos of that historical building and does the train station a property of Malaysia or Singapore? Hope someone can help me with this.

Though photography may not be explicity prohibited, but I think sometimes we should not make ourselves look like a pest. Yes, we are not pest, but other may not feel comfortable when we point our cameras at certain things, so why make others' life miserable?

i think i saw a no photography sign at tampines mall or century square...
    おれのflickrださ

Quote Originally Posted by nfcj01 View Post
    Well there was this incident that happened quite some time ago, I was at the Tanjong Pagar railway station, I went inside to take some photos of the rail and the interiors. Then there is this policemen, which appears to be the Malaysian police. He kinda "invited" me to his office and told us no photography inside and he told us to delete the photos, I deleted them to prevent myself from getting into any trouble. Now that I am aware of this, is taking photos of the train station illegal, I have seen many photos of that historical building and does the train station a property of Malaysia or Singapore? Hope someone can help me with this.
    Went to shoot too, my friend had a dSLR and we were using it in front of the police there, no issues at all.

You just have to run out of the station into Singapore land. Apparently the station belongs to Malaysia - so once you are out of the station,

Okay, I'll love to look at this list; next to go inside and see if anyone is spotted taking photos; then ask the mall security to evict them. See if there's any double standards in enforcement
    Kindly ensure its not me you are trying to get evicted.

Quote Originally Posted by LomoPhotographer View Post
    you could buy the chocolate and take the photo, she cannot stop you cos you buy already

Nice one la. I want to see too.

Quote Originally Posted by Timolol View Post
    I was reading up on this topic and found this thread.

Is a security guard or security officer of a building or shopping mall allowed to arrest us, or are they only allowed to 'chase' us away?
    They are definitely allowed to do their job... even if he suspects you to be a threat, I think he has the right to detain you until police comes.

vince123123
    Guests

Yup, but the security guard also exposes himself (and/or his company) to charges for possible wrongful restraint and/or wrongful confinement; so he better darn be sure he has a cause of action

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    They are definitely allowed to do their job... even if he suspects you to be a threat, I think he has the right to detain you until police comes.

Yup, but the security guard also exposes himself (and/or his company) to charges for possible wrongful restraint and/or wrongful confinement; so he better darn be sure he has a cause of action
    And holding a camera hardly qualifies as being a threat, heh.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234