Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TNP yesterday. Photography permitted??

vince123123
    Guests

Default Re: TNP yesterday. Photography permitted??

We can shoot lah, just don't get trodden or bullied by people who don't know better, or who know better but want to protect their own vested private interests and create their own laws and rely on Singaporean's scared of authority attitude to fulfil that objective.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgo View Post
    Thanks mate. That's good stuff to re-emphasize what we already know.

I just find it sick that we Singaporeans cannot even shoot our own mother/father land, while tourists can!

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    We can shoot lah, just don't get trodden or bullied by people who don't know better, or who know better but want to protect their own vested private interests and create their own laws and rely on Singaporean's scared of authority attitude to fulfil that objective.
    Yeah...I think that's the general attitude of Singaporean photographers. Since most of us don't know the 'law', it's better not to go against it. Now that we all know about it, at least we feel more secure when shooting at public places.

Kia Si Singaporeans (me included).
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

vince123123
    Guests

Hehe, thats' where I try to come in with things that I know so as to benefit the community here into not being bullied by others

Yeah...I think that's the general attitude of Singaporean photographers. Since most of us don't know the 'law', it's better not to go against it. Now that we all know about it, at least we feel more secure when shooting at public places.

Kia Si Singaporeans (me included).

Hehe, thats' where I try to come in with things that I know so as to benefit the community here into not being bullied by others
    Thanks bro.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Thanks mate. That's good stuff to re-emphasize what we already know.

I just find it sick that we Singaporeans cannot even shoot our own mother/father land, while tourists can!
    agreed.

you would think that these overzealous "security" will be shown towards foreigners rather than locals, owing to the xenophobic views people have about photography and what not.

I mean. I get stopped frequently back in Singapore but all I do is go "mate... what are you talking about" in an Aussie accent, and they back off. I don't know what to do. whether to laugh at them at buying my Aussie accent, or that just because I'm a "foreigner" that I'm given free reign to take pictures whilst my other brethren aren't.
    chicken fight!

Quote Originally Posted by terryansimon View Post
    agreed.

you would think that these overzealous "security" will be shown towards foreigners rather than locals, owing to the xenophobic views people have about photography and what not.

I mean. I get stopped frequently back in Singapore but all I do is go "mate... what are you talking about" in an Aussie accent, and they back off. I don't know what to do. whether to laugh at them at buying my Aussie accent, or that just because I'm a "foreigner" that I'm given free reign to take pictures whilst my other brethren aren't.
    GOSH that was damn ****ed up

Quote Originally Posted by shootjutsu View Post
    GOSH that was damn ****ed up
    yeah. on my part and on their part. ahahaha.

I mean, it just goes to show how intolerant they are towards local photographers, whereas "foreigners" like myself, or actual foreigners for that matter... are welcomed with open arms. maybe it's got to do with the tourist dollars people bring in. I don't see why there's such discrimination, though.
    chicken fight!

vince123123
    Guests

This tourist-locals divide is more likely due to the following:

1. Scared of offending tourists - may be potential customers, or may complain to Tourist Bureau and make a big fuss.

2. Not scared of locals since the average Singaporean is kiasu, kiasi and kia cheng hu. So any pseudo-authoritative person just makes up laws and gets his way.

3. Expats and foreign-looking people dont' scare as easily as kiasi Singaporeans.

How do we define public place? i know th sreets are public places , but what about shopping malls?

shopping malls are properties of different managements, e.g. CapitalLand, etc, hence are not public places
    eat. drink. shoot

Uniquely Singapore!
    A Lost Tourist & His Cheap Plastic Camera Not Aloud!

Smile Re: TNP yesterday. Photography permitted??

my understanding is that during their opening hours, it is a public place. so, anyone can come in. but, they may impose prohibitions on the visitors, eg. no pets, etc. so, if complied. no issue. but, if one is barred from entering, entering would be trepass, which is a criminal offence. someone to confirm?

Quote Originally Posted by samueltan902 View Post
    How do we define public place? i know th sreets are public places , but what about shopping malls?

vince123123
    Guests

My view is that a public place should be distinguished from a privately-owned place with public access. A shopping mall is the latter. So long as it continues to be one with public access, you should be immune from a charge of trespass; but if theydon't like what you are doing, they can revoke this access and if you continue to stay, you become a trespasser. For a true public place, no private entity can stop you for trespass.

Ah. I still have that copy.

Click for a larger size.

My view is that a public place should be distinguished from a privately-owned place with public access. A shopping mall is the latter. So long as it continues to be one with public access, you should be immune from a charge of trespass; but if theydon't like what you are doing, they can revoke this access and if you continue to stay, you become a trespasser. For a true public place, no private entity can stop you for trespass.
    That means we still can shoot there, but when we are stopped and thrown out, and if we continue to come in to shoot, that's trespassing.

Also, they can only tell us to leave. They cannot request anything from us, like our photos to be deleted, etc.

Now I know the law...
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

vince123123
    Guests

Yup, which was what I was trying to say before The only right of a private owner is that of eviction, nothing else.

That means we still can shoot there, but when we are stopped and thrown out, and if we continue to come in to shoot, that's trespassing.

Also, they can only tell us to leave. They cannot request anything from us, like our photos to be deleted, etc.

Now I know the law...

Yup, which was what I was trying to say before The only right of a private owner is that of eviction, nothing else.
    Swee...

Everyone please take note.

Back to the question on photographing our mother/father land, I think our 'garment' need to stand up to clarify what can be done, what cannot be done, etc, so that there's not discrepancy towards locals and foreigners. I thought we are all equal in front of the law right? Just because one is a foreigner, then he/she can take photos while locals can only stand there and watch? Absurd right?
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

haha....instead of printing out the copy of TNP article....bring vince123123 along....that will be useful in almost all situations......

on the side note, i really appreciate all the views of vince123123 on the legal matters
    G

Quote Originally Posted by godzilla60 View Post
    haha....instead of printing out the copy of TNP article....bring vince123123 along....that will be useful in almost all situations......

on the side note, i really appreciate all the views of vince123123 on the legal matters
    Cannot lah bro. Then our dear v123123 will be very busy le...

That's why our 'garment' still need to lay down a set of rules and regulations. Then it's very clear to everyone what can be done and what cannot.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

vince123123
    Guests

Actually, if you are facing a really stubborn and sticky person who you know you will sure encounter the next time you go to that place (ie its a continually present irritant); I don't mind joining in the fun Of course please make sure you are on the public road first hor, don't try be hero inside people's private places and then bring me to go fight a losing battle :P The best cases are those on public roads taking photos of shopfronts.

I appreciate your appreciation of my input

Quote Originally Posted by godzilla60 View Post

Unfortunately, the way laws are made, and how criminal laws in Singapore are prohibitive rather than permissive in nature, I don't think we will see any law saying "You can take photographs". To me, so long as there is no law which says I cannot, I am, in my own view, in the clear.

Cannot lah bro. Then our dear v123123 will be very busy le...

That's why our 'garment' still need to lay down a set of rules and regulations. Then it's very clear to everyone what can be done and what cannot.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast