Thread: Need help to choose lens

Default Need help to choose lens

Hi guys!

I'm planning to do some lens buys which I don't intend to change for a long time. My current lens aresenal consists of a Sigma 17-70mm and a Canon 50mm f1.8 and I am using a canon 350D (upgrading to a 40D soon) & a EOS 5 film. I have a few lens in mind and I need some suggestions/comments.

Background
    I shoot mostly landscape and architecture. I do some events photography once in a while, hence I'm also looking for a zoom lens. I do have a budget to keep to (around 2K) and I don't mind buying second hand lens.

here are my few lens combos that I am considering to buy:

#1 : Canon EF 17-40L (replace my Sigma 17-70mm) + Canon EF 70-200mm F4L
    #2 : Tamron 11-16mm + Canon EF 70-200mm F4L or Canon EF 100mm 2.8 Macro (stick to my Sigma)
    #3 : Canon EF-S 17-55 IS (replace my Sigma) + Canon EF 70-200mmm F4L or Canon EF 100mm 2.8 macro

Dilema
    The thing is that I'm torn between replacing my Sigma with a canon equivalent. I did try the canon 17-40L before and I liked what it produced. Kinda different from what the Sigma lens produced in terms of sharpness and contrast. And I'm torn between the low-light capabilities of the Canon 17-55mm and the possible use of the 17-40L on my film camera.

And I borrowed a Canon 10-22mm before and I found it difficult to use. Maybe because I only got to use it for one day and I needed to get use to the focal length. Hence, I'm not too sure whether it would be good to get the Tamron 11-16mm lens.

Thanks guys! I tried my best to keep this post short. Broke it up to make it readable.

Default Re: Need help to choose lens

Hi,

trying to buy a lens for both your cropped-sensor DSLR (and both the 350D and 40D are) will present a bit of a 'problem' with regards to your choice of focal length.
    A 17-40 f/4L is a pretty darn wide-angle lens on a film SLR or full-frame DSLR, but on a 350D/40D it's kinda ok only in terms of wide-ness.

I'm not sure how to advise you between options #1 and #2, but I'm pretty sure that option #3 will push you way over your budget.
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Hi,

trying to buy a lens for both your cropped-sensor DSLR (and both the 350D and 40D are) will present a bit of a 'problem' with regards to your choice of focal length.
    A 17-40 f/4L is a pretty darn wide-angle lens on a film SLR or full-frame DSLR, but on a 350D/40D it's kinda ok only in terms of wide-ness.

I'm not sure how to advise you between options #1 and #2, but I'm pretty sure that option #3 will push you way over your budget.
    yeah i know i hafta choose between the two.. but i think i shoot mostly digital so i'm alright with EF-S mounts and I don't think I am going FF anytime soon.. haha..

I heard the Tamron 11-16 is not too great.
    It's been replaced by the 10-24, which I am also interested to get. I'm searching the net for articles to reassure me that it's a good lens

when you say 'zoom lens', I assume that in this case, you're referring to a telephoto zoom, because by definition any lens that can change its focal length is a zoom lens, eg 11-16 is also a zoom lens.

If you're trying to cover the entire focal range, my suggestion is an UWA (not sure which one yet, as I'm a bit clueless), keep your 17-70 sigma (or trade in for tamron 17-50 f/2.8), and the 70-200 f/4L.

hmmm, might be over budget though.
    Exploring! :)