Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Help on lenses

  1. #1

    Default Help on lenses

    Hi, I am thinking of getting some add-on lenses for my A40. I would like to know what is the most impt lens you use and for what purpose.

    What i have in mind are

    1) Polariser (for nice sky/water shots?)
    2) Wide angle lens
    3) Teleconverter
    4) Macro lens (maybe get close up lens since macro lens quite ex)

    If possible maybe let me know what kind of prices I shd expect to pay. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Moderator ziploc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Snoopyland
    Posts
    4,577

    Default

    Erm... those in your list, some are filters and not lenses. And which to get first depends on your interest... For example if you like to take insects or little critters then get the closeup filter, else if you are more keen on landscape, perhaps a circular polariser. For me I would rank them as follow (according to my interests):

    1. Closeup filters - for insects shots, mostly at BG. Cost is ard $13 for a 56mm Hoya +4. I use this the most.
    2. Circular polarising filter - get the circular one and not the linear one. I do not know the cost as I only have a 77mm one and gotten it long long time ago.
    3. Teleconverter - I have an Oly B300 for my G2. Seldom use it. Bought it at $260.
    4. Wideangle converter - Don't have one. Don't find the need for it.

  3. #3

    Default

    Originally posted by ziploc
    Erm... those in your list, some are filters and not lenses. And which to get first depends on your interest... For example if you like to take insects or little critters then get the closeup filter, else if you are more keen on landscape, perhaps a circular polariser. For me I would rank them as follow (according to my interests):

    1. Closeup filters - for insects shots, mostly at BG. Cost is ard $13 for a 56mm Hoya +4. I use this the most.
    2. Circular polarising filter - get the circular one and not the linear one. I do not know the cost as I only have a 77mm one and gotten it long long time ago.
    3. Teleconverter - I have an Oly B300 for my G2. Seldom use it. Bought it at $260.
    4. Wideangle converter - Don't have one. Don't find the need for it.
    Thanks for the quick reponse.

    What is the difference between filters and lenses? If I am on a budget, could I buy filters instead of lenses (of course there will be trade-offs right?). e.g. instead of macro lens, I buy close-up filter?

    Since close-up filter make magnifies things, could I use it like a teleconvertor?

    What is the difference between a circular polariser and a linear polariser? Is it the linear more for take land/sky pics?

  4. #4
    Moderator ziploc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Snoopyland
    Posts
    4,577

    Default

    You are welcome.

    Filters generally refers to a single piece of glass that attach to the front of your existing lens. Lenses are normally multi-elements and have better optics, but are much more expensive.

    There are closeup filters and lenses too. For example the Hoya +4 is a closeup filter, while nikon 5T is a closeup lens (it has 2 glass lements). Hoya +10 is a macro filter due to its high magnification. Normally for insect shots, a +4 closeup filter/lens is good enough, as you will get too close to the insects with a +10.

    You can't use closeup filters as teleconverter, as you will lose infinity with one attached (meaning the camera cannot focus at infinity).

    As for polariser, circular one is needed for AF camera.

  5. #5

    Default

    Originally posted by ziploc
    ...
    As for polariser, circular one is needed for AF camera.
    Just to confirm... does AF mean autofocus?

    Is Canon A40 considered as AF camera?

  6. #6

    Default

    Originally posted by copland


    Just to confirm... does AF mean autofocus?

    Is Canon A40 considered as AF camera?
    yup

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •