Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The day a shop insulted my Canon 500D

Default Re: The day a shop insulted my Canon 500D

Quote Originally Posted by mindfulness View Post
    Over the weekend, I was browsing at Lucky Plaza and took my Canon 500D with EFS 55-250mm with me. I enquired which next upgrade lens he would recommend. The shop guy said the Canon L lenses are too good for my Canon 500D. He said only when you have 5DMkII you can consider L lenses and added you are wasting money to put L lens on the 500D. He recommended the latest tamron18-270mm lens as the next upgrade.

I feel his view that that the Canon 500D is just not good enough for L lenses kind of too strong. Any opinions on this?
    Just let him be, it's his opinion

The big question is:

Why were you even shopping for camera gear at Lucky Plaza?

My opinion is that in this day and age, any local who shops there for gear and gets cheated, insulted and/or assaulted was really asking for it in the first place.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    wa piang, then you better not ever think of using pentax

the standard reaction of most people when i take out my k20d is

"wa, what brand is that?"
    Is this your Pentax camera:

Lol.. fancy seeing such a thread. TS is suffering from a bruised ego. I think you din do homework on the shops to avoid right?

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    You made a grave mistake. I can't imagine you'd actually walk into a shop in Lucky Plaza asking which one to buy. That to them is a signal, its as good as walking in dressed in a carrot suit with "chop me" stuck on your forehead.
    this is very right.
    Kodak Easyshare C875
    flickr

make this into a tcs 8 drama!!!

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    make this into a tcs 8 drama!!!
    How? Like not enough scenes leh..
    Kodak Easyshare C875
    flickr

His point was the L lenses being too heavy and my Canon 500D will feel unbalanced and its body is plastic, not up to standard
    Do not feel insulted, he may meant good. I have 3 bodies, 400d,40d and 5dMkII and it is true that if you load a "L" lenses into plastic body, you can feel the "looseness" after a few round. I think he meant those fast L lenses, not all. I won't put my 70-200 F2.8 IS onto my 400d body ever again, cause I personally feel the " wear". But does it affect iamge quality ? I don't want to be the first one to find out because of being adventurous.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Boy View Post
    Do not feel insulted, he may meant good. I have 3 bodies, 400d,40d and 5dMkII and it is true that if you load a "L" lenses into plastic body, you can feel the "looseness" after a few round. I think he meant those fast L lenses, not all. I won't put my 70-200 F2.8 IS onto my 400d body ever again, cause I personally feel the " wear". But does it affect iamge quality ? I don't want to be the first one to find out because of being adventurous.
    That's why they manufacture the tripod collar for the 70-200 mm f/2.8 lens... Does it come with the lens when you purchase it?

With heavy lenses, it is not the lens that mount onto the camera, it's the camera that mount onto the lens (if you get what I mean ).

Looking at this episode objectively, the salesman was talking rubbish (half-truths or otherwise) and the TS was unfortunate to have encountered such an episode, and with all intentions, just wants to share his experience with all of us. Interesting how it can generate such a flurry of discussion.

Over the weekend, I was browsing at Lucky Plaza and took my Canon 500D with EFS 55-250mm with me. I enquired which next upgrade lens he would recommend. The shop guy said the Canon L lenses are too good for my Canon 500D. He said only when you have 5DMkII you can consider L lenses and added you are wasting money to put L lens on the 500D. He recommended the latest tamron18-270mm lens as the next upgrade.

I feel his view that that the Canon 500D is just not good enough for L lenses kind of too strong. Any opinions on this?
    did he insult your skill? if not, what the big deal. just walk off lor.

Ridiculous. L lenses were not too good for my 3.1mp D30 almost 10 yrs ago now. There is no DSLR for which "L lenses are too good". I suppose he reckoned that you wouldn't spring that day for an L lens, but he might be able to squeeze some money out of you right then and there at a lower price point. Don't listen.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Pao View Post
    That's why they manufacture the tripod collar for the 70-200 mm f/2.8 lens... Does it come with the lens when you purchase it?

With heavy lenses, it is not the lens that mount onto the camera, it's the camera that mount onto the lens (if you get what I mean ).

Looking at this episode objectively, the salesman was talking rubbish (half-truths or otherwise) and the TS was unfortunate to have encountered such an episode, and with all intentions, just wants to share his experience with all of us. Interesting how it can generate such a flurry of discussion.
    Yes mine came with tripod collar. I did what most people have recommended. Search google to check if plastic body can accomodate that "dumb bell" and they claimed that the body can take the weight. Sure it can take the weight as I hung the whole setup on my neck but then the fit detiorates rapidly. If hold the dumbell whole day, muscle too ache to take any photo.

seriously , if u use the L lens on yr beginner camera body, it looks v unbalance to me.. nowadays, with internet and ba ba ba...i wonder why u need to ask the shop salesman to answer to what upgrade u need? In this case if he says u need a 24-70 L, will u buy? i will say 90% NO right?

Ask yrself, u are only asking silly questions when u know that the shop salesman in lucky plaza owns almost **** about photography.. ( takes LORDS out of this..haha )

So my words for you is this..

( Never ask a silly question when u know what u want, or you already knows that you are going to talk to another nut shell who knows lesser then u. ) U said u are browsing only, so i believe that u are also asking for fun only right? since he said the tamron is good for u, i also find theres nothing wrong about it, u can always walk away, nothing to complain about.

no heart feeling, just keep taking pictures to improve. all the best.
    Take both its legs down first, then cuts its tail, next is shoot between its eyes:devil:

any local photographers know what kind of camera shops inside Lucky Plaza (except Lords), if you don't do your homework, you are sticking out your head and asking people to chop you, since you don't have intension to buy anything, why go inside and ask for "song" "song"?? try that to some shops in SLS, is like giving people a chance to "greet" your parents, not only just insult your camera.

stay far far alway from such shops next time.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

I'm currently using a 24-105mm L with my 450D. It's little front heavy, but who cares, I'm loving it. Front heavy is really no big deal.

I guess many people who wish to upgrade are like me, can afford a L lens, but cannot afford a FF camera. If Canon users only use L for FF cameras, Canon will be very worried

I was laughing when I read your post, TS.....

You actually walked into a shop and asked the salesman in the shop "which next upgrade lens he would recommend"....
    Nikanon D3FXMarkIIIDS-1H with 5000mm f/128 & 0.500mm Macro f/0.4 & 0.70-2000mm f/256

tell him your 500D is good enough to shoot his face and post in stomp

maybe as a newbie .. but I want to know my next upgrade
    You get nothing out of asking the shopkeeper...

He's prob thinking since L lenses cost more or less a new 500D or twice, you'd be wasting your $ to have it an entry level set

I'm just trying to think like an ignorant seller. But things like these should be shrugged off, otherwise why burden yourself with baseless anger.

Quote Originally Posted by HeiPiGu View Post
    I'm currently using a 24-105mm L with my 450D. It's little front heavy, but who cares, I'm loving it. Front heavy is really no big deal.

I guess many people who wish to upgrade are like me, can afford a L lens, but cannot afford a FF camera. If Canon users only use L for FF cameras, Canon will be very worried

Now, if you would just cradle the lens and take the weight on your non-shooting arm, you'll find that there's no such thing as front-heavy.

did you tell teacher?

jokes aside, as much as I feel that such comments may or may not be merited (especially from sales people, who really should learn a thing or two about manners sometimes), you need to let it roll off your back like water off a duck's back. in Australia, we'd say "build a bridge and get over it" because you're gonna meet such sticklers every now and again. and trust me, if you allow it to gnaw into you... you're gonna be one miserable bloke.

as the Beatles put it so eloquently... let it be.
    chicken fight!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast