Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The day a shop insulted my Canon 500D

Default Re: The day a shop insulted my Canon 500D

Don't be disturbe by what others say. What most matters is what you know, and how you make use of this knowledge to produce what you want. Whether it's 450D or 1Ds MK III on L lenses, as long as end product is good, the viewers don't care right?
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

anyway..why walk into lucky plaza tobegin with..there are many good shops around...if you want to pay more..go cathay...pay less go around and check out TK,MS etc...

personally i have always prefer TK and Cathay..but recently i'm beginning to find cathay a little bit more ex than last time...the only good shop in lucky i heard is lord's...but i have never been there though..

i think too that they make bigger margin in these 3rd party lens..my friend went there with a D90..came out with 3 third party lens...but these are the more decent ones la...what is crap to me is they told him if you actually read review...3rd party lens are better than the original nikon lens.....i'm like....what the ...

lucky plaza = no no place.

watch out for lucky plaza
    PortFolio
    the best camera is the camera that is with you; A200/500/33 (:

Quote Originally Posted by mindfulness View Post
    Over the weekend, I was browsing at Lucky Plaza and took my Canon 500D with EFS 55-250mm with me. I enquired which next upgrade lens he would recommend. The shop guy said the Canon L lenses are too good for my Canon 500D. He said only when you have 5DMkII you can consider L lenses and added you are wasting money to put L lens on the 500D. He recommended the latest tamron18-270mm lens as the next upgrade.

I feel his view that that the Canon 500D is just not good enough for L lenses kind of too strong. Any opinions on this?
    You made a grave mistake. I can't imagine you'd actually walk into a shop in Lucky Plaza asking which one to buy. That to them is a signal, its as good as walking in dressed in a carrot suit with "chop me" stuck on your forehead.

The most important thing is the photographer not the equipment nor price of the equipment.

Many working pros use a small crop body together with larger full frame cameras as well and the crop sensors in the Canons can output images good enough for most 35mm commercial work.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    You made a grave mistake. I can't imagine you'd actually walk into a shop in Lucky Plaza asking which one to buy. That to them is a signal, its as good as walking in dressed in a carrot suit with "chop me" stuck on your forehead.
    I just enquired .. to clarify I did not buy anything

In the 1st place why go Lucky Plaza. Its a throat slasher for tourist.
    It more adviseable you go to more reliable shop like Cathay Photo.

I just enquired .. to clarify I did not buy anything
    and I'd be really shocked if you did.

and I'd be really shocked if you did.
    that sales guy already p*** me off to talk c***, sorry I am getting out of my system as he is saying the 500D not good enuff for the L lenses.

that sales guy already p*** me off to talk c***, sorry I am getting out of my system as he is saying the 500D not good enuff for the L lenses.
    I can't understand why you are pissed. Its not as if he insulted you. Its only a camera and any person with some knowledge of photo taking will know its bullshit.

I can't understand why you are pissed. Its not as if he insulted you. Its only a camera and any person with some knowledge of photo taking will know its bullshit.
    hehe u r right .. he is talking bullshit

My 70-200 2.8L IS works great on my 400D. Hmm. I think there's something wrong with my camera. It's too good for its class.
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

thanks but the lenses you recommended are lesser in zoom effect, are they good enough for wildlife and nature photography?
    Hmm, 'lesser zoom effect'? Don't understand what you mean
    IMO, for wildlife, if you talk about longer reach (take picture of something far away), a heavy and longer reach lens is usually needed. Usually people will either take a zoom + extender (like 70-200 + extender) or if zoom is too heavy, get a prime like 300mm or something like that. Go the nature sub forum to check out what the CSer usually use...

Your title like they insulted your DSLR. That one let Canon take legal actions. I guess its more you take it personally feeling insulted. Yes you can listen to some of the advices from the shop keeper and evalaute their comments. Best if to know if the lens and body is compatible, any handicap or capability miss if used. You should go prepared armed with at least the basics of the lens you want against your cam body. Now the guy introduced a more versatile focal range third party lens ask yourself is it what you want? Or do you want a specific L range that better suits your need? If that's what you want and they don't have it just walk away loook for other shops that may carry it. Do note some equipment may require pre-orders as shops may not carry them in mess stocks.

To add on to that, I personally think it will actually be WORSE if they were to recommend you the L lenses instead. At least they were not chopping you by recommending you to use ONLY L lens.

Anyway from my personal experience, I feel that the L lens are generally "built for" the fullframe bodies. By that I don't mean that you need a fullframe camera to use the L lens, but the advantages of the L lens shines when you're using a fullframe body.

I previously came from a 1.6x cropped body and used the 17-55mm f/2.8 for the longest time ever. I can safely vouch that (apart from build quality), that the image quality of my EF-S lens is actually better the L lenses I mounted on that cropped body of mine (24-70, 24-105).

The shop must be mad!
    All canon bodies are good enough for the L-lenses.

Even my friend's Canon 350D can take nice images with the 70-200mm F4 lens.
    It's not really the body, the main factor is the person behind the camera.

Btw, Lucky Plaza is named the next Sim Lim Square.

The people selling camera products there are very rowdy.
    They even quoted my friend a UV filter (with scratches after he checked) for $35 (tokina)!

Don't think about buying camera products from Lucky Plaza.
    Their main target are tourists.

In Orchard area, only buy IT products from places like BEST in Ngee Ann City.

Over the weekend, I was browsing at Lucky Plaza and took my Canon 500D with EFS 55-250mm with me. I enquired which next upgrade lens he would recommend. The shop guy said the Canon L lenses are too good for my Canon 500D. He said only when you have 5DMkII you can consider L lenses and added you are wasting money to put L lens on the 500D. He recommended the latest tamron18-270mm lens as the next upgrade.

I feel his view that that the Canon 500D is just not good enough for L lenses kind of too strong. Any opinions on this?
    I went to a shop in Lucky Plaza also to buy a Sigma 18-50mm for my 10D body.

But the shopkeeper told me that no one made any lenses for 10D anymore. Too old model.

He told me I have to buy a Sony dslr to use Sigma lenses.

They are indeed too good for your camera la. Upgrade to 5D MKII please

Just kidding

wa piang, then you better not ever think of using pentax

the standard reaction of most people when i take out my k20d is

"wa, what brand is that?"

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    wa piang, then you better not ever think of using pentax

the standard reaction of most people when i take out my k20d is

"wa, what brand is that?"
    Wa, what brand is that?