Thread: New Member

Default New Member

Hi, am a new member and really looking forward to learn more about photography here.

Incidentally, am using a Canon G9 but is currently actively looking into getting a DSLR (like the EOS 500D) and also a suitable everyday len (like EF 28-135 f/3.5-6.3 IS USM). Can anyone provide some guidance when would be best to get them? Fyi, I like taking photos of my kids and also going to the park to take the surroundings. O, have checked with MS color and was quoted 995 & 685 (before gst) for the body & len above.

Default Re: New Member

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSeo View Post
    Hi, am a new member and really looking forward to learn more about photography here.

Incidentally, am using a Canon G9 but is currently actively looking into getting a DSLR (like the EOS 500D) and also a suitable everyday len (like EF 28-135 f/3.5-6.3 IS USM). Can anyone provide some guidance when would be best to get them? Fyi, I like taking photos of my kids and also going to the park to take the surroundings. O, have checked with MS color and was quoted 995 & 685 (before gst) for the body & len above.
    Perhaps you could check out the coming IT show for a better deals.

You could also consider the older Canon models such as the 450D if budget is an issue.

welcome to CS
    I don't expect there to be good deals at PC Show.

curious why you would choose 28-135 lens (btw, it's lens, not len) instead of opting for the 500D kit with the 18-55.
    500D has a cropped sensor, smaller than 35mm film. Hence 28mm on the wide end doesn't seem wide enough.
    Exploring! :)

Welcome to Clubsnap.

I'm pretty new to Singapore, and I've only made one major purchase, a 5D Mark II, which I got from John's 3:16 (on level 5?) at Funan. Prices are pretty good. Send them a mail, and they'll get back to you with a quote. In fact, I recommend sending a mail to a few dealers. I found John's to be slightly more expensive (like $20-50) for the 5D Mk II kit than a few others, but they were super-responsive by email, and the informal poll on CS seems to indicate that they are an excellent dealer.

Check http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340845 for a list of retail shops in Singapore.

Check http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518391 for prices, and another list of shops. This thread is very good for giving you a sense of who has the lowest prices.

As for the 28-135, I used that lens on my D30 a 100,000,000 years ago, for as long as I shot with that body. The D30 was also a 1.6x if I remember correctly. I thought it was a terrific lens! Though I upgraded from to the 24-70 with my next body (the 10D), I still used the 28-135 from time to time on my 10D, 20D, and even 1DS Mk II. Eventually I sold it, but I still think of that lens as one of my favorites, and generally better than any other non-L lens I've used. I would have a tough time going back to a non-FF camera now because I'm used to the wider FOV, but at the time I don't recall being terribly bothered by the lack of wide angle on the 1.6 camera.

I like it because the color / contrast seemed much closer to that of an L lens than of a typical kit lens or other non-L in canon's lineup. It's a very good lens in my opinion.

You should look out for a USED copy of this lens, as you might be able to get a great bargain! It's a rugged lens that holds up well over time, so used copies that aren't too abused should be great.

Hi JoeSeo,

welcome to CS
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Welcome to CS!

Hello...welcome.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony