Thread: Differences of Built-in Image Stabilization vs On the lens

Default Differences of Built-in Image Stabilization vs On the lens

Which one is better.. for a newbie like me...

Default Re: Differences of Built-in Image Stabilization vs On the lens

To me both are equally good although some 'declares' that stabiliser on lens is better. Maybe you would like to think about how many lenses you need first and if those lenses comes with in-lens stabiliser.

With a in-body stabiliser, even a 50mm lens or a 85mm portrait lens will enjoy stabilisation.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Both has pros and cons, the most obvious being the in camera stabilisation having to stabilise all lenses across ( and hence a lower cost )

In lens stabilisation needs incorporation of the gyroscope in the lens, and can increase bulk and cost for consumers. more effective stabilisation for long telephotos

i am just rattling some thoughts that come across.. more explainations and comparisons on google.

Ryan

I find that DSLR which comes in Built-in Image Stabilization are less weight and smaller in size..

I'm confuse .. should I go for E-520 , D5000, 450D..

I'm a new.. newbie to photography. All the while, I'm using compact camera.. now plan for upgrade...

The cam body will need to be replaced sooner because of overwork

Every lens also must stabilized
    Tangfolio, 9mm; CZ75 Shadow, 9mm; S&W 686, .38

Quote Originally Posted by samsc View Post
    I find that DSLR which comes in Built-in Image Stabilization are less weight and smaller in size..

I'm confuse .. should I go for E-520 , D5000, 450D..

I'm a new.. newbie to photography. All the while, I'm using compact camera.. now plan for upgrade...
    Nikon and Canon do not have in-body stabilisers. For cameras with in-body stabiliser, you can check out Sony, Olympus or Pentax. Olympus cams are pretty small and light (for the entry level cams).
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Quote Originally Posted by romeo tango View Post
    The cam body will need to be replaced sooner because of overwork

Every lens also must stabilized
    Oh well, people nowadays change camera body every 1-2yrs, so no big deal....

And if I didn't remember wrongly, good lenses are more expensive than camera bodies....
    Last edited by Ouverture; 11th June 2009 at 04:01 PM.

I find that E-520 is quite a good bargain..

Camera package comes with 14-42mm lens , price less than 1k. Any bro can comment..

Is this a It's good camera to keep for 3+ yrs plus upgrade... ?

I find that E-520 is quite a good bargain..

Camera package comes with 14-42mm lens , price less than 1k. Any bro can comment..

Is this a It's good camera to keep for 3+ yrs plus upgrade... ?
    Bro, if your budget is less than 1k, there are a few to choose from.

Canon 1000D
    Nikon D60
    Sony A200
    Olympus E450/E520

Go and try all these at the shops to see which one you prefer. Each has it's own plus and minus. Most importantly must be comfortable to use with.

I made some phone call to the shops.

Canon 1000D - I do not have good experience with this brand and always got new models coming out..

D60 is not longer in production and it is replace with D5000. According to some shop

Sony - they are good at electronic appliances to me.. Camera_maybe i give a miss.

E-520, I've a feel comfortable and likes this brand. I ever own a mu~II many years back. The camera is nice and color is pretty good to me.. Only hold back is they are using Built in IS not on lens; some said good, some said bad and they have lesser forum support compare with others... I'm

I made some phone call to the shops.

Canon 1000D - I do not have good experience with this brand and always got new models coming out..

D60 is not longer in production and it is replace with D5000. According to some shop

Sony - they are good at electronic appliances to me.. Camera_maybe i give a miss.

E-520, I've a feel comfortable and likes this brand. I ever own a mu~II many years back. The camera is nice and color is pretty good to me.. Only hold back is they are using Built in IS not on lens; some said good, some said bad and they have lesser forum support compare with others... I'm
    I would certainly suggest you go down to the shops or at Courts Tampines to try them out physically, esp the menu, handling and performance before you decide, which you might be surprised that your final decision might be totally different to what you have in mind now.

Actually almost all brands are coming out new models every year now...

Quote Originally Posted by Ouverture View Post
    I would certainly suggest you go down to the shops or at Courts Tampines to try them out physically, esp the menu, handling and performance before you decide, which you might be surprised that your final decision might be totally different to what you have in mind now.

Actually almost all brands are coming out new models every year now...
    Courts store in Tampines has all the model I want for try ?

Try and not buying the camera on the spot can.. I still want to survey more before decide

Courts store in Tampines has all the model I want for try ?

Try and not buying the camera on the spot can.. I still want to survey more before decide
    Yes, they have all these models arranged side by side just next to the escalator. You can try from morning till night and walk away empty-handed and yet nobody cares...

Quote Originally Posted by Ouverture View Post
    Yes, they have all these models arranged side by side just next to the escalator. You can try from morning till night and walk away empty-handed and yet nobody cares...
    Thanks mate
    Maybe.. I'll go to there for try and reply .. if I've any further question

There are sure pros and cons on each of the brands and the models they make.
    And there are too many choices out on the market to choose from. As mention by the rest, go showrooms to physically try out the different models then decide and buy.

While I recommend you to go john 3:16 @ funan to take a look and ask for advise.
    Their friendly assistance will make sure you are happy with the purchase.
    I'm looking at a different perpective of life.

Thanks mate
    Maybe.. I'll go to there for try and reply .. if I've any further question
    Yup, just one thing, don't ever try asking those guys at Courts for advise. They are just salesman and dun even know simple photographic terms like ISO and Aperture....

Try them yourselves on the build, handling and performance of the cameras there. If you need further assistance, go to shops like MSColour, Cathay Photo, John, etc for better "professional" advice.

If you're really interested in the in-body, take Olympus bodies.
    You'll save quite a lot on lenses.

From what I know, you may need to pay quite a bit more for IS in lenses such as the 70-200 lenses from Canon.