Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hawaii or Alaska?

Default Hawaii or Alaska?

Which would you choose for a trip?

Alaska: I'll get to see the northern lights, get to see all sorts of wildlife, get to go to the North Pole (They've a Santa shop there ), get to see Glaciers. And it's not a place often traveled to by people, which makes it more unique. But the weather is gonna be freaking cold, and I doubt I'll get a whole lot of photo opps due to the super short daylight hours (~5 hours a day)

Hawaii: Active volcano, hawaiian pple and culture, black beaches, clear water (though I can't dive), and good weather.

If I can, I'll go to both... but I don't have the luxury.

Which would you choose?

Default Re: Hawaii or Alaska?

will duration of stay be affected by the choice of location?
    chicken fight!

Quote Originally Posted by lypklypk View Post
    Which would you choose?
    Neither.

I'll choose Singapore instead because it has got both Hawaii and Alaska in it.

Quote Originally Posted by terryansimon View Post
    will duration of stay be affected by the choice of location?
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Neither.

I'll choose Singapore instead because it has got both Hawaii and Alaska in it.
    Changi Beach and Snow factory?

Alaska.

If you go during the summer, sun sets at 11pm and rises at 2pm in the southern part of the stare.

Northern lights, it is better in northern Sweden/Finland/Norway. Can see in Alaska, but you have to go all the way to the north, and in the winter, you have 1 hour sunlight.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Alaska.

If you go during the summer, sun sets at 11pm and rises at 2pm in the southern part of the stare.

Northern lights, it is better in northern Sweden/Finland/Norway. Can see in Alaska, but you have to go all the way to the north, and in the winter, you have 1 hour sunlight.
    Thing is, I'll be there in the winter Can't fork out time from other months.
    Some people have been telling me I've about 5 hrs of daylight per day. Only in Anchorage, they'll get an hour of daylight cause the sun is blocked by the mountain/fog.

Well... Alaska is in the list of 100 Places To Visit Before You Die... not sure abt Hawaii... so for me, if i have a choice it will most definitely be Alaska...

Hawaii as I lived there for 5 years.

Super laid back and relaxing. Not sure about Alaska though.

If you want to see the volcanoes, you would have to drive 3 to 4 hours down from the airport. Most likely, stay at the national park if you die die want to spend a lot of time there. On the other hand, you could also drive up to where the telescopes are and see the milky way.

Thing is, I'll be there in the winter Can't fork out time from other months.
    Some people have been telling me I've about 5 hrs of daylight per day. Only in Anchorage, they'll get an hour of daylight cause the sun is blocked by the mountain/fog.
    Further north you go, less daylight a day.

Anchorage is in the southern part of the state.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Further north you go, less daylight a day.

Anchorage is in the southern part of the state.
    Oh, just realised I typed the wrong name... it should be Denali, in between Fairbanks and Anchorage... that's where the sun is supposedly blocked.. at least, that's what one of the guys told me.

I've decided to go for Alaska, (will KIV Hawaii for future plans) though I wonder how much photos I can take with 5 hrs of daylight everyday...

Quote Originally Posted by agape01 View Post
    Hawaii as I lived there for 5 years.

Super laid back and relaxing. Not sure about Alaska though.

If you want to see the volcanoes, you would have to drive 3 to 4 hours down from the airport. Most likely, stay at the national park if you die die want to spend a lot of time there. On the other hand, you could also drive up to where the telescopes are and see the milky way.
    Yea, I think the coolest part of Hawaii is the active volcano... but I'll leave that for next time. Almost everyone is telling me to go to Alaska out of the 2 choices

Oh, just realised I typed the wrong name... it should be Denali, in between Fairbanks and Anchorage... that's where the sun is supposedly blocked.. at least, that's what one of the guys told me.

I've decided to go for Alaska, (will KIV Hawaii for future plans) though I wonder how much photos I can take with 5 hrs of daylight everyday...
    Where about in Alaska will you be?

I assuming you will be driving.

Shoot at night!
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Depends on priorities and moods I guess.

If you're on an explorer inspired streak and would like to spend most of your time shooting, Alaska would be a worthwhile place.

But for total chill out, as in leave the darn camera bag, definitely Hawaii.

Yea, I think the coolest part of Hawaii is the active volcano... but I'll leave that for next time. Almost everyone is telling me to go to Alaska out of the 2 choices
    actually, the coolest island in my opinion is Lanai.

But again, depends why you want to go to Alaska. Photography trip or just to get away. If photography trip, of course go to Alaska.

Where about in Alaska will you be?

I assuming you will be driving.

Shoot at night!
    I'm planning to be in Fairbanks (and around) for the aurora and north pole, then drive to Anchorage for the Glaciers and mountain views etc... If there are similar views in Fairbanks, I would just stick to one place, but unfortunately, there aren't...

Yea, I'll have to lots of night shooting... but there'll be lots of limitations in terms of light (unless there's enough moon light), and I don't think it's possible to shoot wildlife in the dark, unless i've an infrared cam

Quote Originally Posted by Gunbucker View Post
    Depends on priorities and moods I guess.

If you're on an explorer inspired streak and would like to spend most of your time shooting, Alaska would be a worthwhile place.

But for total chill out, as in leave the darn camera bag, definitely Hawaii.
    Haha... it's definitely not a chill-out trip that I'm planning..

Quote Originally Posted by agape01 View Post
    actually, the coolest island in my opinion is Lanai.

But again, depends why you want to go to Alaska. Photography trip or just to get away. If photography trip, of course go to Alaska.
    Yea, it'll be for photography... what's there in Lanai?

And in Alaska you have sled dogs, x-country skiing, polar bears, sarah palin......
    Running for conservation and ACRES. Donate at http://www.acres.org.sg/donate.html

Yea, it'll be for photography... what's there in Lanai?
    Best resorts in the pacific....

But if its for photography, go and be cold in Alaska.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast