Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: lobang for printing photography book

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sunny island
    Posts
    1,208

    Default lobang for printing photography book

    Hi all... other than fotohub, is there any place i can make photo books with hard cover?
    http://www.yeechaokoh.com/
    What's the use of "depth of field" if there's no "depth of feelings...

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    357

    Default Re: lobang for printing photography book

    Quote Originally Posted by BananaDiver View Post
    Hi all... other than fotohub, is there any place i can make photo books with hard cover?
    Just1Book
    Expert Juggling Comes From Experience. Experience Comes From Bad Juggling.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sunny island
    Posts
    1,208

    Default Re: lobang for printing photography book

    Quote Originally Posted by emotic View Post
    thanks for the reply... usually how long do i need to wait for the ready product?
    http://www.yeechaokoh.com/
    What's the use of "depth of field" if there's no "depth of feelings...

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    357

    Default Re: lobang for printing photography book

    Quote Originally Posted by BananaDiver View Post
    thanks for the reply... usually how long do i need to wait for the ready product?
    About a week or so, might be longer for peak periods. Good customer service from my experience. They'll try to deliver your order early if they can. You can drop by their showroom at DhobyXchange too, to find out more.
    Expert Juggling Comes From Experience. Experience Comes From Bad Juggling.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sunny island
    Posts
    1,208

    Default Re: lobang for printing photography book

    thanks for all the info... i will go take a look
    http://www.yeechaokoh.com/
    What's the use of "depth of field" if there's no "depth of feelings...

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    19

    Default Re: lobang for printing photography book

    try www.albumstories.com - delivery normally within 1 week

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: lobang for printing photography book

    Apple Aperture Books - 2 weeks from uploading till delivery (Made In USA)

  8. #8

    Default Re: lobang for printing photography book

    I have a question: for these companies that print books, how do we know if the prints (books) we get are calibrated to our screens? calibrating our screens alone wont mean much, as we'll still need te ICC profile of the printers right?

  9. #9
    Moderator Clown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: lobang for printing photography book

    Quote Originally Posted by scenar View Post
    I have a question: for these companies that print books, how do we know if the prints (books) we get are calibrated to our screens? calibrating our screens alone wont mean much, as we'll still need te ICC profile of the printers right?
    just calibrate your monitor to 5000k and use sRGB. that should give you a match of 90%.
    sigh.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dhoby Ghaut MRT Station B1-48.
    Posts
    256

    Default Re: lobang for printing photography book

    Quote Originally Posted by emotic View Post
    About a week or so, might be longer for peak periods. Good customer service from my experience. They'll try to deliver your order early if they can. You can drop by their showroom at DhobyXchange too, to find out more.
    Hi Emo, thank you for remembering. It'd been awhile, must buy you coffee on your next visit We’ve improved to deliver within a week or 5 working days, currently averaging 4 working days. For trade professionals’ coffee table books too.

    Quote Originally Posted by scenar View Post
    I have a question: for these companies that print books, how do we know if the prints (books) we get are calibrated to our screens? calibrating our screens alone wont mean much, as we'll still need te ICC profile of the printers right?
    Just profile to SWOP, Euroscale or Japan Colors standard, these values are found in Photoshop. If you can match, most print vendors can achieve 95%+. Print vendors usually calibrate and match to one of these standards, none can match to your screen or any other screens. It's simply impractical. The question is: Are you calibrating correctly and matching to one of these print standards?

    Look at consistency in your images, check for grey balance on your monitor. Use this step-guide: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showp...91&postcount=8

    Quote Originally Posted by Clown View Post
    just calibrate your monitor to 5000k and use sRGB. that should give you a match of 90%.
    “99% don’t really care while the 1% struggle with perfection.”
    just1book, no kidding!

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    357

    Default Re: lobang for printing photography book

    Quote Originally Posted by Winsonapm View Post
    Hi Emo, thank you for remembering. It'd been awhile, must buy you coffee on your next visit We’ve improved to deliver within a week or 5 working days, currently averaging 4 working days. For trade professionals’ coffee table books too.
    No prob Winson. That's cool, looking forward to order more books from you.

    Anyway, you have PM.
    Expert Juggling Comes From Experience. Experience Comes From Bad Juggling.

  12. #12

    Default Re: lobang for printing photography book

    Quote Originally Posted by BananaDiver View Post
    Hi all... other than fotohub, is there any place i can make photo books with hard cover?
    not very sure. but not all places provides photobook in very good quality.. I see some that gives low quality prints.

  13. #13
    Senior Member limwhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Life revolves arOnd East Coast
    Posts
    7,049

    Default Re: lobang for printing photography book

    Quote Originally Posted by Clown View Post
    just calibrate your monitor to 5000k and use sRGB. that should give you a match of 90%.
    At Cathay Photo, where I bought my Spyder 3 from, the sales person asked me to calibrate to 6500k at 2.2 for all Mac and Windows computers. Is this setting ok for printing photobooks, or must we still use 5000K?

  14. #14
    Moderator Clown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: lobang for printing photography book

    Industrial standard is D50, or 5000k.
    But nowadays it's relatively safe to calibrate anywhere between 5000k and 6500k.
    problem with 6500k will be a slightly warmer print result if you're gonna outsource your printing to pro printing houses.

    winson can help to verify on this?
    sigh.

  15. #15

    Default Re: lobang for printing photography book

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe2638 View Post
    try www.albumstories.com - delivery normally within 1 week
    I have tried this one, but do try to choose glossy surface as it gives you more vibrant colors and sharper image . I did one album in matt and the resulting image ws quite dull and not so sharp, ....maybe iit was my photos, i dont know.

  16. #16
    Senior Member limwhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Life revolves arOnd East Coast
    Posts
    7,049

    Default Re: lobang for printing photography book

    Anyone tried Photobook Singapore before? Any opinion on this company? No offence to Just1book, but just want to ask for opinions from others about this Photobook Singapore. Thanks.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dhoby Ghaut MRT Station B1-48.
    Posts
    256

    Default Re: lobang for printing photography book

    Quote Originally Posted by Clown View Post
    Industrial standard is D50, or 5000k.
    But nowadays it's relatively safe to calibrate anywhere between 5000k and 6500k.
    problem with 6500k will be a slightly warmer print result if you're gonna outsource your printing to pro printing houses.

    winson can help to verify on this?
    I belonged to the old school of users with knowledge on CRT (tube) and prints (CMYK). Today’s flat-panel LCD monitors are very affordable and good. Hence, most of us do not talk about temperature, gamma, etc. Most of us don’t even bother to calibrate unless there’s a need to do image retouching, this source of work or income had been render obsolete with files supplied ready to print. Colour-separation and colour retouching as a trade is dead. In a printing environment, most of the lights are florescent tube, around 2500K to 3500K. The only light at the press or viewing table is 5000K, or we call it “daylight”.

    If you are into video or want to watch a movie with your monitor, you can set to 6500K to 9300K. Images are bluer and brighter.

    But if you were going to prints, I would recommend a white point of 5000K with a gamma of 2.2. If you have been viewing uncalibrated display, your initial reaction upon performing your first monitor calibration will likely be, “Oops!….. what did I do wrong?”. Does it make sense to calibrate a monitor to have a dull screen? If you are doing it correctly, a properly calibrated LCD display will look dark and flat with a rather warm colour balance. I’m been conservative and realistic, as everyone expect to have prints like what they would see on their monitors. RGB vs CMYK.

    There are two camps...6500K and 5000K, bluer or cooler and yellower or warmer. Those using the latter are mainly concerned with matching prints that they're viewing under a 5000K viewing box.

    I wound not recommend 6500K to photographers. My sense is that he is not working in a fully profiled environment and is still relying on last minute visual tweaks to match.

    Anyway, you have the freedom to decide what setting works for you, but remember: don't expect the colours you match and edited under your "6500K colour calibrated screen" to behave the same way in the rest of the world which are closer to 5000 K than 6500 K. Be careful with your suppliers, clients and people like me.
    just1book, no kidding!

  18. #18
    Senior Member limwhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Life revolves arOnd East Coast
    Posts
    7,049

    Default Re: lobang for printing photography book

    Thank you so much Winsonapm for your detail explanation. So in summary, if I were to prepare my photos for printing with a commercial printer like Just1Book or even for printing using my own printer, it would be ideal to calibrate to 5000K. That is right?

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dhoby Ghaut MRT Station B1-48.
    Posts
    256

    Default Re: lobang for printing photography book

    Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    Thank you so much Winsonapm for your detail explanation. So in summary, if I were to prepare my photos for printing with a commercial printer like Just1Book or even for printing using my own printer, it would be ideal to calibrate to 5000K. That is right?
    Yes, it's better to set a lower and warmer setting. More realistic and easier to match the paper and ink profile. You'll get to profile your printer too.
    just1book, no kidding!

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dhoby Ghaut MRT Station B1-48.
    Posts
    256

    Default Re: lobang for printing photography book

    Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    Anyone tried Photobook Singapore before? Any opinion on this company? No offence to Just1book, but just want to ask for opinions from others about this Photobook Singapore. Thanks.
    No offence taken. Same application, same machine, almost same paper and price, etc.
    The only difference is, we've a showroom at DhobyX and a production facility in Singapore.
    just1book, no kidding!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •