Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wedding dinner table shots

Default Re: Wedding dinner table shots

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    i think it is called a dimmer

you can try asking the manager to turn up the lights

and/or

bring your own
    I'm referring to YoungPictoraider suggestion of fine tuning different areas of ambient light. Not as in a whole.

anyway, it is still possible to fine tune different areas of the lighting, but that need to fine tune, take test shots, see results, fine turning again, take test shots, check results, adjust again, do test shots till we get it right, obviously we can't do this DURING a dinner, and nobody will want to entertain the photographer if he/she insist.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungPictoraider View Post
    Luntut's suggestion is pretty good, not to say luminous...

...except in one possible case : if we suppose the wedding dinner tables are more luminous than the background of the ballroom, it's not applicable because catching more ambient light from the background would mean overexposing the wedding dinner tables maybe. Thus, the solution would be to decrease wedding dinner tables' ambient light and/or increase the background's ambient light.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

The question was :
    Quote Originally Posted by tCs78 View Post
    How to go about taking the shot so that the background will not be dark and will be properly exposed as well for a wedding dinner table shot?

Most of cases, "using slightly longer shutter speed to catch more ambient light" as Luntut suggested will solve the problem.

When background is more luminous than wedding dinner tables, it's a piece of cake : you expose for the background and you make an appropriate fill-in to enlight the tables !

Sometime, catching more ambient light to have background properly exposed may lead to overexposuring guests and white table cloth, especially if wedding dinner table are very more luminous than background : if not turning lights when it may be possible to better balance background and table's ambiant lights before taking pictures, may i ask you what do you suggest to fix the problem and get the proper results as asked by tCs78 ?
    Last edited by YoungPictoraider; 13th June 2009 at 06:11 PM.

Oh...by the way, the lighting inside the hotels is it normally tungsten? If so, for white balance, do we set to AWB or tungsten? And also, for the AF point, do you all normally set to auto or fixed on 1 AF point? i.e. The center AF point.
    Last edited by tCs78; 18th June 2009 at 09:21 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by YoungPictoraider View Post
    As ortaga guessed : before balancing between ambient light and flash light, it's a good thing to try balancing between background's ambient light and wedding dinner tables' ambient light whenever it's possible, by asking the manager to turn up the lights.
    aiyoh don't doubt a man with yonks of experienced
    he knows best and can outshoot me many times over

Blog Entries

Oh...by the way, the lighting inside the hotels is it normally tungsten? If so, for white balance, do we set to AWB or tungsten?
    if the flash is the main light and the subject are lit by the flash
    my WB would be for the subjects to be correct and let the BG go warm
    actually i prefer it warm, it adds to the atmosphere

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ng View Post
    I shoot old school... Wedding Table shot... I think... these are the few things things to look out for.... or rather.. its a sure keep..

1. Higher Shutter speed - 1/60 ~ 1/80 (That should cover 17~35/ 24~70mm lens to prevent blur pic) NOT SLOWER SHUTTER SPEED! Somehow some joker will blink his eyes and what you get is.. hey! Uncle's eyes not opened. Some how some joker will turn his head.. or move.. 1/60s is good.Its a Wedding and you have 10s! 100s! of tables to go through.. how many times you want to do it again... (if possible.. shoot 3fps)

2. Apeture - f/5.6.. to get every one in focus.

3. ISO -800 - 1600 - USE ISO TO CATCH YOUR AMBIENT LIGHT. Come on ... 4R Prints for table shots. Don't worry about the noise.

4. Use bounce flash... That one.. MUST.. f/5.6 indoor... How you play.. up to you. :-}

Standard table shoot here..record shot..No need to be too creative.

Check out your parents wedding pics.. table shots.. Make a guess.. how that guy played with its limitations and got the pic.. see how now current people got the pic.

Cheers.

i shoot about the same settings as you...oh no, i am old school!
    hahaha...

To TS, not sure about others...at least this settings work for both Andrew Ng and myself.
    Maybe you can try it out too...

Yup.. for tableshots.. do it old school.

f5.6, 1/60, ISO 800, Bounced or diffused flash. Focus at the first row right in the middle for enough DOF. Take at least 2 shots per table. Use external battery for your flash so that it can recharge faster. Get the brothers to help set up groups 2 tables in advance. Tell them to arrange the group to be visually balanced. Chimp on your shots to make sure the shots is correctly exposed. Personally I shoot in RAW to adjust the WB in post. Be friendly and funny. Engaged the people so that they will give you their best smiles!

Quote Originally Posted by m3lv1nh0 View Post
    Yup.. for tableshots.. do it old school.

f5.6, 1/60, ISO 800, Bounced or diffused flash. Focus at the first row right in the middle for enough DOF. Take at least 2 shots per table. Use external battery for your flash so that it can recharge faster. Get the brothers to help set up groups 2 tables in advance. Tell them to arrange the group to be visually balanced. Chimp on your shots to make sure the shots is correctly exposed. Personally I shoot in RAW to adjust the WB in post. Be friendly and funny. Engaged the people so that they will give you their best smiles!
    Chimp on the shots? sorry, dun really understand what you mean by that?

Blog Entries

Chimp on the shots? sorry, dun really understand what you mean by that?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimping

read this

Can ask manager to up the light? hmm. maybe I should try next time.
    Please Don't Report This Post To A Moderator

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12