Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: First Attempt at Last Light

  1. #1

    Default First Attempt at Last Light

    This shot (1/4000s f/4.0 ISO640 29mm) was taken around 6.45pm at Punggol end. I hope to have some feedback for improvement in the following areas.

    1. Composition - Is the tree on the left distracting?
    2. Exposure - Will it be better if I had used a flash to light up the foreground?
    3. Exposure - What is generally considered as a better picture? Slower shuttle for the smooth water effect or faster shuttle to freeze the waves? I noticed that a lot of people chose the former


    Thanks in advance for your time and comments.

    Nikon.D90 | Canon.S90 | Project 365

  2. #2

    Default Re: First Attempt at Last Light

    The first thing that strike me is that the image is too cluttered with too many elements competing for attention. While it is commendable to have a foreground subject to lead the eyes into the scene, choosing a clump of leaves that blocks practically the left side of the frame and covering the horizon isn't exactly ideal.

    Furthermore, the image is flat and needs strong vivid colors to make it punchy and come alive. Some simple post processing could turn this around.


    There's an interesting scene playing down below the waterline that is worth exploring......something like this........



    Tell me and I'll remove the photo.

  3. #3

    Default Re: First Attempt at Last Light

    I think i saw you ytd at punggol, standing behind you while you shot this pic. I was holding a pns camera.

    The colours seems a bit muted to me, doesn't pop out. Better to crop your pic like the above example. btw did you use average metering?
    500px.com/photobasegallery

  4. #4

    Default Re: First Attempt at Last Light

    Quote Originally Posted by Bcool View Post
    The first thing that strike me is that the image is too cluttered with too many elements competing for attention. While it is commendable to have a foreground subject to lead the eyes into the scene, choosing a clump of leaves that blocks practically the left side of the frame and covering the horizon isn't exactly ideal.
    hmm ... true. Your version is indeed more pleasing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bcool View Post
    Furthermore, the image is flat and needs strong vivid colors to make it punchy and come alive. Some simple post processing could turn this around.

    There's an interesting scene playing down below the waterline that is worth exploring......something like this........



    Tell me and I'll remove the photo.
    Is this cropped from my photo? How did you reproduce the reflection in the sea? It's amazing.
    Nikon.D90 | Canon.S90 | Project 365

  5. #5

    Default Re: First Attempt at Last Light

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffL View Post
    I think i saw you ytd at punggol, standing behind you while you shot this pic. I was holding a pns camera.
    I was there on last Wed (10 June) ... I guessed you saw someone else. LOL.

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffL View Post
    The colours seems a bit muted to me, doesn't pop out. Better to crop your pic like the above example. btw did you use average metering?
    I used "Center Weighted Average" metering for this shot. I did have some problems with the auto-focusing though (the sun was too bright) ... will probably try manual focus the next time.
    Nikon.D90 | Canon.S90 | Project 365

  6. #6
    Deregistered shaoken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Clementi/West Coast
    Posts
    2,115

    Default Re: First Attempt at Last Light

    I think the reflection is created by playing with curves??

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bukit Gombak
    Posts
    193

    Default Re: First Attempt at Last Light

    Hmmm, I would have gone nearer to the rocks and lower.
    Increase f-stop and decrease shutter for long exposure.
    The tree is indeed distracting...
    There are alot of people doing long exposure to make the water look smoother and stuff. But it all comes down to your style. You may even consider isolating a subject on the beach (A rock?)...? Haha

    Neverthelast just keep on shooting my friend.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •