Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Need Advice / recommendation b4 buying a lens

  1. #1

    Default Need Advice / recommendation b4 buying a lens

    Hai everybody... I need advice /recommendation b4 buying a new lens. I'm using Canon EOS400 + Kits lens and Sigma DC 18-200 MM F3.5-6.3 (2nd hand). I'm eyeing on few range of lens from canon model. Going for more on snapshot on people,street n candids.

    Zoom Lens
    1. EF 28-200mm F3.5-5.6 USM (Is it equivalent with the sigma lens that i have ?)
    2. EF 70-300mm F4-5.6 IS USM
    3.EF 75-300mm F4-4.6 111 USM

    EF-S lens
    1.EF-S 18-200mm F3.5-5.6 IS (Is it equivalent with the sigma lens that i have ?)

    So,which lens should i go for???
    Must make a fast move as my sayang are going to buy for me as a b'day present b4 she change her mind....

    Thanx in advance

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    61

    Default Re: Need Advice / recommendation b4 buying a lens

    Hi, before u buy better check reviews about those lens,

    http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/..._n15/page4.asp

    I suggest canon efs 18-200 is.

    my friend used it and he told its good.(got some zoom creap).
    But better than sigma.

  3. #3
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: Need Advice / recommendation b4 buying a lens

    Quote Originally Posted by abs3056 View Post
    Hai everybody... I need advice /recommendation b4 buying a new lens. I'm using Canon EOS400 + Kits lens and Sigma DC 18-200 MM F3.5-6.3 (2nd hand). I'm eyeing on few range of lens from canon model. Going for more on snapshot on people,street n candids.

    Zoom Lens
    1. EF 28-200mm F3.5-5.6 USM (Is it equivalent with the sigma lens that i have ?)
    2. EF 70-300mm F4-5.6 IS USM
    3.EF 75-300mm F4-4.6 111 USM

    EF-S lens
    1.EF-S 18-200mm F3.5-5.6 IS (Is it equivalent with the sigma lens that i have ?)

    So,which lens should i go for???
    Must make a fast move as my sayang are going to buy for me as a b'day present b4 she change her mind....

    Thanx in advance

    The rest of the lens have the same... or about the same range of your current lens.....

    IMHO.... don't see a point in changing your Sigma 18-200mm to Canon 18-200mm just for IS and 1 F Stop less at 200mm. But up to you of course.

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  4. #4

    Default Re: Need Advice / recommendation b4 buying a lens

    ok, you seem to be buying for the sake of buying.

    if you ask me, i would get a tamron 17-50 f/2.8, but that's just me.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Need Advice / recommendation b4 buying a lens

    Quote Originally Posted by biker589 View Post
    Hi, before u buy better check reviews about those lens,

    http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/..._n15/page4.asp

    I suggest canon efs 18-200 is.

    my friend used it and he told its good.(got some zoom creap).
    But better than sigma.
    Thanks biker589 for the link.Its help alot...

    Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    The rest of the lens have the same... or about the same range of your current lens.....

    IMHO.... don't see a point in changing your Sigma 18-200mm to Canon 18-200mm just for IS and 1 F Stop less at 200mm. But up to you of course.
    So, not much diff.

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    ok, you seem to be buying for the sake of buying.

    if you ask me, i would get a tamron 17-50 f/2.8, but that's just me.
    No lah....time to change better lens only.



    Thanx guys for the advice n recommendation...

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Singapore, River Valley area
    Posts
    82

    Default Re: Need Advice / recommendation b4 buying a lens

    Yeah I kinda agree that going from one 18-200 to another might not be the best option. I've owned the 70-300 IS, and it's an "OK" lens. It depends on what you want. If you're looking to zoom into people's faces (or other body parts) on the street without being too obvious, then the 70-300 is for you. It's color and contrast is a little flat, in my opinion, and it's not the sharpest lens, but it's OK.

    Having said that, if you're out and about and you have just this lens on a 1.6x body, then it'll only be good for one thing - taking pictures of relatively small stuff very far away from your body. It's not a good all-purpose walk around lens unless you just want to shoot telephoto. But from your post it seems like you might be looking for a slightly longer reach, and you'll get that anyway.

    Take Care,
    Eric

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •