Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Newbie for portraits lens

  1. #1

    Default Newbie for portraits lens

    hi all! am a newbie here that is interested to explore more into portraits shots. currently using a 450D with kit lens 18-55mm and a 55-250mm lens. read a lot about the 50mm f1.8, seems like its a pretty decent portrait lens to have as its pretty cheap. just wana ask the bros here whether with the 18-55mm, would i still need the 50mm f1.8 if i wana explore more into portraits shot?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Lomographer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Paterson Road
    Posts
    2,047

    Default Re: Newbie for portraits lens

    If you're gonna be shooting in low light then get the 50mm f/1.4

    theres a lot of difference between that and the 50mm f/1.8
    Pentax K-x

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Newbie for portraits lens

    Quote Originally Posted by MitColt78 View Post
    hi all! am a newbie here that is interested to explore more into portraits shots. currently using a 450D with kit lens 18-55mm and a 55-250mm lens. read a lot about the 50mm f1.8, seems like its a pretty decent portrait lens to have as its pretty cheap. just wana ask the bros here whether with the 18-55mm, would i still need the 50mm f1.8 if i wana explore more into portraits shot?
    The 50 f/1.4 is preferred over f/1.8 II in terms of pic quality, built and incorporation of USM.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Newbie for portraits lens

    hey guys , i also have a question abt the above mentioned lens. is it worth buying it?

    and a total newbie question, is the zoom fixed or i 'll be able to zoom in and out?

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,113

    Default Re: Newbie for portraits lens

    A 50mm 1.8 is a PRIME lens, which means you cannot zoom.
    A 18-55mm is a ZOOM lens, because you can "zoom" to any focal length between 18-55mm.

    The 50mm 1.4 or 1.8 is a decent portrait lens on a DX Camera (Crop body), like the 450D, 1000D, D90 and D5000.
    The 1.4 has a wider aperture, allowing you to have a shorter depth of field which means creamy smooth backgrounds. Cost is another thing though.

    I think the 55-250mm can cover portraits well enough (At the tele end).

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    City area, SG
    Posts
    377

    Default Re: Newbie for portraits lens

    Quote Originally Posted by gripmaster View Post
    hey guys , i also have a question abt the above mentioned lens. is it worth buying it?

    and a total newbie question, is the zoom fixed or i 'll be able to zoom in and out?
    Hi there, the lens will be "fixed" at one focal length and so it is technically not called a "zoom".

    Regarding the lens, i feel that the canon 50mm 1.8 is a great value for money and exciting new tool as a foray into portrait lens.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    61

    Default Re: Newbie for portraits lens

    Hi all,
    I am also considering 50mm 1.8.
    currently I have only 18-55 is lens.
    most of time I use to take photos of my daughter, some times nature shots also.
    So is it good enough to take photos inside house?(I donot like to take photos with flash)

    Thanks,

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,113

    Default Re: Newbie for portraits lens

    At ƒ1.8 and bright indoor lighting, it should be enough at around ISO 400.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Singapore, River Valley area
    Posts
    82

    Default Re: Newbie for portraits lens

    The 50 f/1.8 is is great portrait lens on a 1.6 body, and an amazing value. The key difference between the f/1.4 (or f/1.2) and the f/1.8 is build quality (metal mount, solid build, etc), and sharpness wide open. By f/2.2 my 50/1.8 is sharper than my 24-70, and by f/8 it's basically the sharpest lens I own (because it's the only prime I own).

    You can take some very nice pictures with this lens, for so little money (in the US I bought the lens for USD99), it's almost a no brainer, regardless of any other lenses you own.

    My 2c.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    605

    Default Re: Newbie for portraits lens

    Quote Originally Posted by biker589 View Post
    Hi all,
    I am also considering 50mm 1.8.
    currently I have only 18-55 is lens.
    most of time I use to take photos of my daughter, some times nature shots also.
    So is it good enough to take photos inside house?(I donot like to take photos with flash)

    Thanks,
    Yes, the 50mm f1.8 is good enough for indoor shots without flash. Typically you will be using ISO400-800 for such shots at f/1.8-2.0 so that there will minimal blur from camera shake and kids movement. The 50mm fixed length has good enough range to fill the frame with the face without moving in too close.

    It's worth investing in this, though if you have a bit more spare cash then go for the f/1.4 because the AF is faster and the build is more solid.

    Buy it. Use it. You'll be happy.
    Family | Health | Happy-ness. . . my Flickr here

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    61

    Default Re: Newbie for portraits lens

    Hi,

    Thanks.
    I plan to buy this lens,

  12. #12

    Default Re: Newbie for portraits lens

    juz bought today from CP @$125

    cant get the effect....

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Newbie for portraits lens

    Quote Originally Posted by devilzheart View Post
    juz bought today from CP @$125

    cant get the effect....
    What effect u want??
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Newbie for portraits lens

    Quote Originally Posted by devilzheart View Post
    juz bought today from CP @$125

    cant get the effect....
    f/1.8?

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Newbie for portraits lens

    Quote Originally Posted by klipse View Post
    f/1.8?
    Looking at the price it's the f/1.8 II obviously.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Newbie for portraits lens

    The starter prime lens for portraiture is usually the 50 mm f/1.8 because of the price and specifications. Actually no one said portraits must be taken with the 50 mm lens. It could very well be taken using a wider 35 mm lens or a longer one, which ever that gives you the effect you desire. My personal fav for portraits, though, is the 85 mm f/1.8.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Newbie for portraits lens

    On cropped body, 50mm (85mm equivalent) is best for above waist shot; while 85mm (135mm equivalent) is best for above shoulder shot.

    More info:

    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/C...rait-Lens.aspx
    Canon EOS 450D, BG-E5, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, 580EX II

  18. #18

    Default Re: Newbie for portraits lens

    Quote Originally Posted by devilzheart View Post
    juz bought today from CP @$125

    cant get the effect....
    What effect? It's not a special effects lens. Maybe you should contact Industrial Light and Magic for help.
    Alpha

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Newbie for portraits lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Ah Pao View Post
    The starter prime lens for portraiture is usually the 50 mm f/1.8 because of the price and specifications. Actually no one said portraits must be taken with the 50 mm lens. It could very well be taken using a wider 35 mm lens or a longer one, which ever that gives you the effect you desire. My personal fav for portraits, though, is the 85 mm f/1.8.
    In fact, any lens can be a portrait lens, depending on your shooting style.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Newbie for portraits lens

    thks for all the comments.

    was think of achieving bokeh or blur background.....sorry i'm a newbie....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •