Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Q for 50mm users whom upgraded 1.4 to 1.2.

Default Re: Q for 50mm users whom upgraded 1.4 to 1.2.

Quote Originally Posted by iMac08 View Post
    Wrong thread bro.........and yes is good enough if you are happy with it...........
    oh sorry, and thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    Used to own it and used for portraits. Results are quite impressive but bokeh wise is slightly harsh.
    i see.. thanks for the feedback.. (: thinking of getting one..

this lens is cheap..no harm trying it..i used to have it on my 450D...love it..cheap and good...of course don't go compare with other more ex prime to be fair la

oh ok.. i think i will.. thanks.. (:

What a disappointment.... sigh. Collected my 50 1.2L in a hurry today and the technician did mention of a 'slight focus problem' and that he has 'fixed it with in-house standard DSLR' even though I sent both my DSLRs to them... now I know, pointless. Anyways, just did a test... fail... back focusing still on both cameras. When I pop in my good-ol-bout-to-be-sold-but-lucky-have-not 501.4.... SPOT ON. I didn't even need to try hard to get the 50 1.4 to lock on focus, one shot one kill...

Actually, after reading sites, apart from back focusing problem commonly reported on this lens, people have been mentioning bout focus shift as well which I think means inconsistency of focus accuracy as out of 10 or so shots, there's 1 or 2 that are somewhat spot on.... still it's bad la... woah lao.

People, this concludes that the 50 1.4 is really one hell of a good lens.. ya like as if no one knows, right. Am gonna make yet another trip to CSC and this time I will show them my test shots and will do a proper test with them in the CPS room on collection day. Upsetting...

Last edited by rendition; 7th July 2009 at 11:50 PM.

People, this concludes that the 50 1.4 is really one hell of a good lens
    Other than the occasional reliability issues, yes it is an excellent lens.

For the price of the 50mm f1.4lens, you really can't go wrong.

IF I drop it or it gets stolen or lost, hopefully without the camera attached, I'll probably go pick another one up right away.

Shooting it with available light, wide open is simply beautiful. Just like going back to basics, when cameras came with a standard 50mm lens.

That's just me though.

Sigh... disappointed with my 50 f/1.2. Friendly technician at CSC did on the spot test with me today and he had to somehow 'front focus' the lens to make it 'work' the way I like. Here's the thing, it's not just a matter of back focusing, I conclude this damn lens suffers from focus shifting...which is a major problem when compared to back/front focused. Focusing just inconsistent prolly due to how big the lens open up while it's focusing. There're times where I get spot on focus and some not la (almost 50-50)... and I am saying this after a number of i-know-i-am-doing-it-right-so-did-the-csc-technician tests. Tests are between 1.2 to 3.5... no point testing further even if it's OK cuz... it defeats the purpose of getting this anyway.

I must say I looovvveee the built of the 1.2 but my uncalibrated 50 1.2 is giving me a much better spot on focus... nailing it almost 100% of the time which gives me a more confident feel when focusing. B&H is willing to reimburse the shipping fees of returning the lens now am just wondering if I should ask for refund or exchange.......

P.S: More CA on ~f/2.0 for 1.2. It's even noticeable on the crops shown above.

Other than the occasional reliability issues, yes it is an excellent lens.
    Yes...
    Last edited by rendition; 8th July 2009 at 06:04 PM.

is an eye sore to have sthg u don't like sticking ard u...is better off to refund then later sell on B&S here when a post like this has already been made...guess is really hard to find a gd copy of this lens...i don't here much here the 85mm compatriot with f1.2

shld u consider sigman 50f1.4? i think this is a beautiful lens at f1.4

No, actually I have no intention of selling this. It's either I keep it for the sake of better built (LOL... how silly sounding can I be)... or refund. But yes... close to asking for refund actually.

Won't go to Sigma... yet.... cuz still have my 50 1.4.

Well so far i'm more than satisfied with the performance of my 50 f/1.2, never failed me though.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Good for you. After making it front focussing, it's working more towards how I like it... higher hits but still exhibits intermittent focus shifting.

Quote Originally Posted by rendition View Post
    Good for you. After making it front focussing, it's working more towards how I like it... higher hits but still exhibits intermittent focus shifting.
    Nothing is perfect my friend.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Of course nothing is... but it sure itches one when you find your Type-R isn't performing any better than your Civic. But only the Red Honda logo.

Quote Originally Posted by rendition View Post
    Of course nothing is... but it sure itches one when you find your Type-R isn't performing any better than your Civic. But only the Red Honda logo.
    LOL...agree there.

Totally feel for you. I am also disappointed with this lens and if chance allows, will trade this in for the 85mm L. Currently, I am using it grudgingly. LOL...
    Canon 5D & 35L + Panasonic Lumix GX1 & 20mm
    Flickr | Buy Baobao's photobook!

Quote Originally Posted by babykailan View Post
    Totally feel for you. I am also disappointed with this lens and if chance allows, will trade this in for the 85mm L. Currently, I am using it grudgingly. LOL...
    Wah, didn't know the 50L also has a number of 'lemons'.

After forcing for front focus adjustment, it is actually a lot better now again with occassional shifting but minimal. However, for me, the focusing wasn't really the deciding factor, it was the mechanism which of course is tons better on the f/1.2. But again... for the price I paid for, I should be expecting a Type-R and not a zheng-ed Civic. I don't see myself getting 85L as it's a little tight for me as with my experience of using the 50 f/1.4 on my previous 40D which is about 80mm... tight for me.

Anyways, 50 f/1.2, The first hand experience was the craziest... in a bad way.
    Last edited by rendition; 13th July 2009 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    Wah, didn't know the 50L also has a number of 'lemons'.
    MY 50L is not exactly a lemon. It works after some coaxing. What I meant is I expected more out of the box but the experience so far has been ... sweetly acidic. Like a lime.
    Canon 5D & 35L + Panasonic Lumix GX1 & 20mm
    Flickr | Buy Baobao's photobook!

Quote Originally Posted by babykailan View Post
    MY 50L is not exactly a lemon. It works after some coaxing. What I meant is I expected more out of the box but the experience so far has been ... sweetly acidic. Like a lime.
    In fact even though at f/1.2, should be sharp too and not having any front/back focusing issues.

No la, at f/1.2 my expectations for this lens is just on-focus. It's definitely not sharp at f/1.2 even if it's in focus. It's a fact in the ISO 12233 Crops tests charts anyway. Expecting tact sharp on f/1.2 might be a little too much la.... so... I'm cool.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast