Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed for a new DSLR

Default Advice needed for a new DSLR

Dear folks,

I'll love to purchase a new DSLR this coming IT fair on the 11th June.
    But I have no idea which would be better model.
    Am considering between Canon EOS 500D & EOS 50D.
    Which would be a better choice & why?

My budget is about $1500 for a body.
    Am open to other brands as well should there be any good model out there.
    Kindly recommend!

Thankyou in advance people!

Default Re: Advice needed for a new DSLR

Do you even know what the difference is between those two? Have you done your research, read reviews, and tried the Sony and nikon cameras too?
    Alpha

why it fair?

Quote Originally Posted by FallenStarz View Post

What makes you think you will get a good bargain??

Do your homework first before deciding buying there

Dear folks,

But I have no idea which would be better model.
    Am considering between Canon EOS 500D & EOS 50D.
    Which would be a better choice & why?

My budget is about $1500 for a body.
    Am open to other brands as well should there be any good model out there.
    Kindly recommend!

Thankyou in advance people!
    check out Amazon for an indication of what bodies you can buy for SG$1500.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

I feel that reliable reviews of these 2 models should not be taken lightly.

Anyway, if your budget ABOUT $1500 for body only (perhaps you may need to add arnd $200 more) then I guess logical stance would be 50D.

Reason: this is a somewhat 'Pro-Sumer' level body. (by letaral thinking, it comes with 'superior' if not better that 500D, which if at the 'high-end of consumer level').

NOte: Nevetherless, I must admit, I have seen lots of good products from 500D too as compared to 50D.

Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by sam204 View Post
    I feel that reliable reviews of these 2 models should not be taken lightly.

Anyway, if your budget ABOUT $1500 for body only (perhaps you may need to add arnd $200 more) then I guess logical stance would be 50D.

Reason: this is a somewhat 'Pro-Sumer' level body. (by letaral thinking, it comes with 'superior' if not better that 500D, which if at the 'high-end of consumer level').

NOte: Nevetherless, I must admit, I have seen lots of good products from 500D too as compared to 50D.

Good Luck.

Btw the way, purchasing list goes on after the body.......
    Series of good Lenses and these cost a bomb !
    (But if you already have lenses, then hmmm... even better !)

If it's your 1st time buying DSLR then you might like to take a look at all the available models from all manufacturer then scale down to those within your budget.

If you can pay $1500 for the body, that's quite good.

For example you can look at the following models:
    Canon - 450D, 500D, 40D, 50D
    Nikon - D60, D5000, D90
    Sony - A230, A330, A350, A700

Then you shd check to see what packages they comes in.
    Meaning the kit lens that they comes with on the following packages.

If you are just starting photography, best to choose a kit with a versatile kit lens.
    I'll recommend the D90 kit with 18-105 VR lens. I feel it's kind of good and value for money.
    Price wise is around $1700 on the street.

Just my thoughts, hope that helps. Cheerz.
    I'm looking at a different perpective of life.

by the way not treating the TS as an idiot.

u mention u got $1500 budget for body only.

do u know what is body only?

if u dun know and thought u can start shooting with just body only... then i guess u can stick to 500D with kit lens and forget about 50D.

Quote Originally Posted by localhost View Post
    by the way not treating the TS as an idiot.

u mention u got $1500 budget for body only.

do u know what is body only?

if u dun know and thought u can start shooting with just body only... then i guess u can stick to 500D with kit lens and forget about 50D.

Hmmm.... guess that in the process of providing advise/suggestion, we ought to address the question specific in order not to astray from main point. And at the same time voluntary provide 2-cent opinion if nay any .

Anyway, cheers and have fun.

Thankyou very much, all of you.
    Especially sam & shin for the extra effort.
    Truth is, i've done my research between the 2 models, it's just that i find them rather similiar in specifications & i must admit there are technical terms as well as certain aspect of the models which i'm still unsure of.
    Which's why i posted this thread to request for assistance..

I used to own a D40x but i no longer have it anymore..

As to why i need a body instead of getting a kit lense with it cos i've a frd who is going give me a kit lense to start.

I would appreciate if someone can tell me the difference btw the 2 as i read that the 50D is a year old, whereas the 500D is relatively new. So does it means i will be paying more to get a technically less advanced(back-dated design etc) cam should i choose 50D instead?

Not really... You're paying extra in 50D for the rugged magnesium-alloy chasis used, faster burst rate (double of 500D), bigger viewfinder, faster focusing and generally a more responsive system - these are the more obvious difference in real world situation.

What is missing in 50D is pretty much the video and that's it. So... what this mean is, get what you think suits yours photography hobby. If you're the trigger happy person and see yourself using this camera for traveling and casual use, get the 500D anytime... I mean come on, the video is something hard to ignore – I bet there'll be moments where you'd want to have it and I doubt you'll find the professional features in 50D useful. However, if you're the serious photographer who perhaps does sports photography where demand for a responsive system is there and also maybe you're doing event coverage as freelance job then you should get 50D.

My guess is you're a casual shooter and from me to you... get 500D.

Thankyou redition, that was extremely helpful.
    I am indeed a casual shooter but however, i wish to upgrade my skill as the day goes by.
    And i totally agree about the Hi-D video function of 500D being a big draw.
    But in terms of mileage, which one do u reckon would be a better choice?
    And why?

Thanks.

Personally, for casual shooters like yourself, don't think about mileage. Get one that will satisfy you from the day you get hold of it. If you get 50D and you want video, dang you might kill yourself. If you get 500D and need to shoot horses every week, dang, you'll hate yourself too. Thing is, no best of both worlds but you have choices to make the best camera you can ever own. So for the casual shooter, the definition of mileage would be more of usefulness and in this case, like I mention, if you don't find the professional features of 50D useful, then 500D should be the choice.

get the d90 then, it has video, and can be considered a step over the 500D

I would appreciate if someone can tell me the difference btw the 2 as i read that the 50D is a year old, whereas the 500D is relatively new. So does it means i will be paying more to get a technically less advanced(back-dated design etc) cam should i choose 50D instead?
    I think you overrate heavily the facts of age here. If you look mat the specifications of the sensor and main chip you see that both cams are similar. The video feature is something new that more or less gets pushed into the camera by marketing people. Don't count on that.
    So you can safely compare both cameras side by side and forget about "one year older".

May I ask which kit lens is your friend giving you?
    If it's the old 18-55 non-IS lens then you might as well buy a new camera kit.
    The sharpness and quality of that lens is not good.

Seriously if you are a candid shooter then I'll recommend you to go for the D90 kit (18-105mm VR) which is one of the camera with a versatile kit lens.

The price is ard $1680 street price. And you get HD video and 11 AF Points.
    I'm looking at a different perpective of life.

Thankyou redition, that was extremely helpful.
    I am indeed a casual shooter but however, i wish to upgrade my skill as the day goes by.
    And i totally agree about the Hi-D video function of 500D being a big draw.
    But in terms of mileage, which one do u reckon would be a better choice?
    And why?

Thanks.
    HD is good but do you have a HD tv and player? If not it will looks just like an ordinary video played on a normal player and tv. Just my two cents. So to me this HD thing is just a gimmick and a passing phase for technology. And its damn heavy to carry a DSLR for video shoot (naturally hand shakes will occurs)... i think a pns video or hp video (some hp video quality is good!) will do the work.

One misconception to clear straightaway is that the 500D can also do burst shots (ie. fast moving objects), just not as many at 1 go as compared to 50D.

Some people write macam only 50D can do burst shots, giving the impression that 500D cannot.

Since you listed the 2 as your choices, I'm sure you'll have at least read through a bit on both of them, but just to recap briefly:
    Pros of 500D:
    - lighter
    - video option

Pros of 50D:
    - better body build
    - heavier (some prefer a more "solid" feel)
    - better buffer (6.5fps versus 3.4fps on 500D)
    - micro-AF adjustment

Deciding on what you think you will be shooting more will help in choosing between the 2 but its a mixed bag. The better buffer for 50D is better when I shoot motorsports, but the video option comes in handy as well to capture another aspect of the event.

Ultimately, it's something you are going to live with, so our comments are just for consideration. You'll definitely want to physically hold them and compare which you prefer also.

In addition to the differences mentioned above, I'd suggest you go try out both cameras in a store or showroom -- showroom might be better cause there's no impatient salesman hovering ard
    Specs are great and tell you what the camera is capable of, but (for me at least) the camera has got to feel good my hands. That's why I've used the XXd series (a D60 and then a 30D). I find the XXXD series a little too small. Also, I love the rear command dial (someone once commented how iPod-like it was when I was scrolling through pix).
    There are times when I could do without the weight and bulk though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast