View Poll Results: Are we being taken advantage off?

Voters
695. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes we are killing ourselves.

242 34.82%
  • No, this will benefit the newbies.

142 20.43%
  • I dunno.

42 6.04%
  • Its all part of the game.

269 38.71%
Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2710111213141722 ... LastLast

Thread: Has ClubSNAP become a sourcing spot for cheap photographers. Are we being taken adv?

Quote Originally Posted by taneks
    At this stage, I wonder how many of us here remembers any of the 4 questions that was asked by SzeKiat in his first post.

Here's a quick test....try to recall the 4 questions, and reply truthfully how many of the questions you can even vaguely remember!

My Score: 1

I actually had to take Astin advice and open up a second window to check

This might actually help us maintain the thread and page views a bit longer.

Steven

Actually I only remember the gist of the initial post - that is to some clubsnap seems to be a place for cheap photographers. I think the discussion meandered to pro vs free/cheap and the relative merits....... and then arguments that there are different markets and so the pro vs free/cheap isn't the issue..... then there was the discussion of perception of the photographic industry....... etc etc....... getting rather out of hand and OT right??

LOL

I can see a very prominent bootlicker in this thread... Guess who is it guys! =)

vince123123
    Guests

who? you? :P

Quote Originally Posted by junyang
    LOL

I can see a very prominent bootlicker in this thread... Guess who is it guys! =)

LOL

hehehe this person was also bootlicking in another thread as well.

Thread's lost it's steam anyway...

LOL

Who, Who, Who......

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    YES! He's back.........

Thank you for being so understanding. Now that's more like the spirited! Hey by the way, what kind of photography do you specialized on? Any website to view?
    hi there.. i know is abit way too long to ask this question .. how did you start off into this career of being a photographer.. i have keen interest in it..

Mate I would recommend asking that question in a new thread, this one's messy and lengthy and going nowhere; you'd get far better responses in a new thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Jed
    Mate I would recommend asking that question in a new thread, this one's messy and lengthy and going nowhere; you'd get far better responses in a new thread.
    woah, ok i just tried to split the thread to address Luval's question but the thread's too long to split properly. Luval, Jed's suggestion is a good one - you're not likely to get much response here.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry
    woah, ok i just tried to split the thread to address Luval's question but the thread's too long to split properly. Luval, Jed's suggestion is a good one - you're not likely to get much response here.

hi pall.. thanks for the advice.. i start off a new thread.. guys .... is coming ....

Quote Originally Posted by ellery
    Not even creating a new class of professional service supplier for photography like doctors for medicine or engineers for engineering will help - .
    professional engineers face the same cut-price-cut-throat competition lah!

In general, pay peanuts get monkeys is quite true. I am a non-professional photographer, and I have minimal liability, so you get me cheap, but you run higher risk of having poor or no photos. As for engineering and medicine, the risks are much higher, and yet people are willing to 'cut corners' for cheap service. I am a structural engineer and I do bridges, wouldn't you want to pay me more than enough that I won't need to worry about my home mortgage such that I can design a good bridge?

To quote economics, everything has a cost (opportunity cost, if I remember correctly). I am sure that a surgeon's responsibility in a surgery is higher than that of a photographer shooting the same surgery. You wouldn't want to 'under pay' the surgeon, but you might not mind a 'cheapo' photographer in this case. This example sways towards the surgeon, but in a mdeical conference where surgeons are all sitting around talking, the photographer covering the event will be heavily responsible in producing good shots for the media or archives.

Sorry about the rant, but I feel very much the same as Zaren on the professional engineers fees issue.

Hopefully, good professionals (photographers, too, and for that matter, musicians, artists and so on) are recognised and paid well for their service/skill/talent.
    Last edited by yowch; 13th January 2004 at 06:57 PM.

I agree on the Peanuts:monkeys.

but in business, it's about marketing. I can be damn lousy but if I am good in talking and negiotiating, I can be very successful.

hence even if I am very skillful in that trade, but without PR, I can be the poorest person in that industry.

for an example. I once negotiated with a bridal couple. they didnt like what I shot esp 1 particular photo. I talked to them until they wanted that photo 40"x60" to hang on the wall.

it's all about talking/PR.

who cares? If you ain't good enough, what difference does it make what others do with their living?

Woah!! This thread still alive ar...........

Quote Originally Posted by TME
    Woah!! This thread still alive ar...........
    i was about to post the same thing when i saw this thread came up again... but you beat mi....
    1stJournal - Painting your life journals since 2008
    Email / Facebook / Instagram

some ppl tend to be 'brand conscious'... they will pay more for the 'name'. so, the professional photographer has to first make a name for him/herself b4 being able to charge higher $$$$ (and in some cases, much much higher $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)!

Quote Originally Posted by pureflow
    I agree on the Peanuts:monkeys.

but in business, it's about marketing. I can be damn lousy but if I am good in talking and negiotiating, I can be very successful.

hence even if I am very skillful in that trade, but without PR, I can be the poorest person in that industry.

for an example. I once negotiated with a bridal couple. they didnt like what I shot esp 1 particular photo. I talked to them until they wanted that photo 40"x60" to hang on the wall.

it's all about talking/PR.
    Wah, you eh sai!

Regards
    CK

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    some ppl tend to be 'brand conscious'... they will pay more for the 'name'. so, the professional photographer has to first make a name for him/herself b4 being able to charge higher $$$$ (and in some cases, much much higher $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)!

True lar. More famous, more expensive. Anything also like that what - cars, perfume, furniture, clothing, watches and accessories, whatever u name.

But there are some pros who hide behind a studio and produce bad work.... at least my friend was complaining about the lousy work of a studio when she got married recently.... of course she could have gotten a "fly-by-night" freelancer who happened to part time at a studion and happened to take on her assignment.

Quote Originally Posted by TME
    True lar. More famous, more expensive. Anything also like that what - cars, perfume, furniture, clothing, watches and accessories, whatever u name.

But there are some pros who hide behind a studio and produce bad work.... at least my friend was complaining about the lousy work of a studio when she got married recently.... of course she could have gotten a "fly-by-night" freelancer who happened to part time at a studion and happened to take on her assignment.
    at least with a defective car u can get it replaced, but a bad photo (e.g. wedding photo) cannot be replaced, assuming it was a photo taken during the event. i suppose a bad studio shot can be re-done, but at great inconvenience.

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2710111213141722 ... LastLast