Thread: Choosing a compact camera...

Default Choosing a compact camera...

I am buying a new digital camera.

One of my selection is Fujifilm EXR. Any comments?

Not looking for big one. Not big one like Coolpix P90, mostly for travel - overseas vacations - purpose.

As I will be using automatic or scene mode, (no manual mode), so hopefully can get some reasonably decent shot for tricky scenes like backlit, sunset and so on.

Tq!

Default Re: Choosing a compact camera...

depends where you are going....if electricity is widely available, the F200EXR is pretty good. Otherwise i recommend the much much cheaper AA powered Panasonic LZ8 with manual mode and maybe a AA battery solar charger like the one sanyo is selling for their eneloop line.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Blog Entries

things to look out for

AF response, basically how fast does it achieve focus
    Shutter lag, how long does it take to take the picture once you have pressed the shutter button
    Hi ISO with low noise capability
    Battery life

try the different cameras at the shop, bring a SD card along
    buy the one you feel good using

also do you need it to be water proof/shock proof?

Quote Originally Posted by adorable View Post
    As I will be using automatic or scene mode, (no manual mode), so hopefully can get some reasonably decent shot for tricky scenes like backlit, sunset and so on.
    Tq!
    I'm afraid you may not. When using automatic with any DSLR, prosumer or PnS camera, you have great chances up to 95% to have (very) good pictures when picturing ordinary scenes, but if you go shooting tricky scenes (like backlit, sunset and so on) you need to know the photography basics and you need to take the commands of your camera. At least, you need a manual mode.

I am buying a new digital camera.

One of my selection is Fujifilm EXR. Any comments?

Not looking for big one. Not big one like Coolpix P90, mostly for travel - overseas vacations - purpose.

Tq!
    For low light shooting I recommend F200EXR ($470) or Lx3, my personal choice ($679)
    Did Tz7 cross your mind? It's agood camera plux 12x zoom+AVCHD movie recording ($570)
    Last edited by lichtleiter; 10th June 2009 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungPictoraider View Post
    I'm afraid you may not. When using automatic with any DSLR, prosumer or PnS camera, you have great chances up to 95% to have (very) good pictures when picturing ordinary scenes, but if you go shooting tricky scenes (like backlit, sunset and so on) you need to know the photography basics and you need to take the commands of your camera. At least, you need a manual mode.
    I saw some cameras got the "sunset" scene mode, wonder if it actually works?

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    things to look out for

AF response, basically how fast does it achieve focus
    Shutter lag, how long does it take to take the picture once you have pressed the shutter button
    Hi ISO with low noise capability
    Battery life

try the different cameras at the shop, bring a SD card along
    buy the one you feel good using

also do you need it to be water proof/shock proof?
    Definitely need reasonably good auto-focus response and lesser shutter lag.

I dun need water proof and shock proof.

I tried my friend's Panasonic. Dunno what model, a quite slim one. Got a bit of focus hunting leh.

The lens of compact camera is not important right? I guess using even with very good lens, it will not be obvious since it is a compact camera?

I saw some cameras got the "sunset" scene mode, wonder if it actually works?

Most cameras don't allow you to shoot under 1/60 s in automatic mode because they consider you as a beginner : not steady enough to get sharp and not blurred pictures. When the ambient light is not enough for a good exposure as you are limited at 1/60 s, the built-in flash pops up and provides the appropriate additionnal light.
    The "sunset scene mode" is only a mode which allows you to shoot under 1/60 s with low shutter speed in automatic mode but there is not warranty about the result you may get :
    1 - because sunset is tricky and often fools your camera computer,
    2 - because most often it is just impossible for your sensor due to its technologic limitation to capture all the tones of the scene.

In the first case, you have to set to manual mode and adjust the right exposure by yourself.
    In the second case, you have to wait for more favorable light conditions or you have to manage to better the existing light conditions. Google "graduated (neutral) densify filters" to know more about difficulties of picturing sunset and landscapes.

Then you will understand why most often automatic camera without manual mode despite its "sunset scene mode" can not succeed.

Best regards,
    YP.

get a g9,lx3,dlux4. cheers.

The lens of compact camera is not important right? I guess using even with very good lens, it will not be obvious since it is a compact camera?
    depends on the person skill to make full use of the pns.

Leica lens on a budget pns like LZ8 is amazing.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Blog Entries

posted in 2007. frankly, it doesn't matter.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282210
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75 View Post
    posted in 2007. frankly, it doesn't matter.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282210
    agree...backlit just need to know how to use ur flash

btw some sunset mode justs increase the hue so that ur sky looks better.

but since ur are only gg to use automatic...just get any one within ur buget. so long as they got flash they should satisfy ur needs.
    Flickr
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.

Hee. thanks. I dun really need very clean ISO and tact sharp images as I am only using as a normal holiday camera.

As I dun want to meddle with the control or edit on Photoshop, so hope to get some decent exposure out-of-camera.

Of course, PnS no way to get as good metering as SLR...but at least not that bad one...

LX3 looks huge in website's photos leh.

Hee. thanks. I dun really need very clean ISO and tact sharp images as I am only using as a normal holiday camera.

As I dun want to meddle with the control or edit on Photoshop, so hope to get some decent exposure out-of-camera.

Of course, PnS no way to get as good metering as SLR...but at least not that bad one...

LX3 looks huge in website's photos leh.
    Why don't you just go down to the camera shops and ask for the promoter's recommendation. Feel the cam and use your instincs in buying.
    CS'ers have given their thoughts on which the cam to get. It's all up to you now..
    Last edited by lichtleiter; 12th June 2009 at 02:03 AM.