Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 47 of 47

Thread: dslr for firework

  1. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Paris (FRANCE)
    Posts
    138

    Default Re: dslr for firework

    G10, SX10 IS and SX1 IS 's lowest shutter speed is 15 s : it may be not enough for fireworks shooting. It's better to have access to slower shutter speeds, especially to bulb mode, to face any situation.

    As firework told nothing about the distance he's going to shoot his fireworks, i am surprised that many snappers come and give strong advices for wideangle lens buy...How do they know firework will not need a 70-200mm or further more for framing and composing his futures pictures ?

    I don't want to be rude but considering firework has no experience at all of fireworks shooting, it seems to me that buying some Sydney 2009 fireworks pictures from professional fireworks photographers is the best and the most secure way to get good pictures at reasonable price.

  2. #42
    Member Cartman2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    1,732

    Default Re: dslr for firework

    If everyone only buy photos taken by pros, who will buy cameras? Soon Canon and Nikon will go bust.

    And the experience of taking your own nice photo is different from buying it off the shelves.

    Btw TS, remember to keep some money aside for a tripod.

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: dslr for firework

    Quote Originally Posted by YoungPictoraider View Post
    G10, SX10 IS and SX1 IS 's lowest shutter speed is 15 s : it may be not enough for fireworks shooting,
    Who says not enough? How slow u want? My fireworks shots are all exposed at 6 secs max.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  4. #44
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: dslr for firework

    Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz View Post
    To be precise..u need a Prosumer to shoot fireworks..
    Prosumer is something like a PnS but offers manual settings override.
    To shoot fireworks, u need to have long exposure time usually between 4s-10s.
    Not forgetting, a tripod is also a must have.

    Difference between a Prosumer and dslr in taking fireworks is the finest/sharpness of the light trail.
    Dslr usually offers aperture greater than f11 which helps give a finer/sharper trail of light.
    whereas Prosumer is around f8 (i may be wrong)
    Other than that, dslr has bulb mode which gives faster response when shooting fireworks

    I see that ur budget is more than sufficient for a dslr setup.
    However, do consider are you going to really step into photography hobby.
    On top of that the learning curve for dslr is slightly more difficult.

    You will have chance to practice in Singapore before leaving for Australia.
    Upcoming National Day Parade, Fireworks festival if it is still available..or even maybe the opening of Marina IR..
    Oh yeah I forgot that there are quite a number of events with fireworks coming up!

    I don't think DSLR is more difficult to learn than a prosumer. To fully exploit the prosumer, you'll also need to understand exposure and metering and so on. Similar skills to use a DSLR well.

    May I ask why you say that DSLR has bulb mode for faster response? I thought bulb mode meant that the shutter/mirror stayed open for as long as the shutter release was pressed?
    Exploring! :)

  5. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Paris (FRANCE)
    Posts
    138

    Default Re: dslr for firework

    Quote Originally Posted by Cartman2000 View Post
    If everyone only buy photos taken by pros, who will buy cameras? Soon Canon and Nikon will go bust.
    And the experience of taking your own nice photo is different from buying it off the shelves.
    As there is nothing about further photographic interest, it sounds to me that the purchase is mainly for the Sydney fireworks. Until we know more about the distance of shooting, putting money on the table do not guarantee firework will be in possession of the right equipment for we can't be sure a wideangle lens is suitable or not for the job, neither if a DSLR or a prosumer is most convenient for the purpose. For instance, better buy photos taken by pros then, it's all what i meant.


    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    Who says not enough? How slow u want? My fireworks shots are all exposed at 6 secs max.
    I beg your pardon for i didn't see your works yet for i am new on CS. I will be glad to visit if you can give some links to. Some french fireworks photographers i know do use slower shutter speed. http://www.nuitsdefeu.com/index.php?page=photo&idcat=14
    Last edited by YoungPictoraider; 11th June 2009 at 12:37 AM.

  6. #46
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: dslr for firework

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Oh yeah I forgot that there are quite a number of events with fireworks coming up!

    I don't think DSLR is more difficult to learn than a prosumer. To fully exploit the prosumer, you'll also need to understand exposure and metering and so on. Similar skills to use a DSLR well.

    May I ask why you say that DSLR has bulb mode for faster response? I thought bulb mode meant that the shutter/mirror stayed open for as long as the shutter release was pressed?
    There is actually alot more to learn from a dslr..other than the basics..

    what i meant by faster response is that if using bulb mode on a dslr..u are actually timing ur own exposure times..u r able to react to the spontaneous fireworks sequence..whereas for a timed exposure on a PnS (say 8 seconds)..u are force to wait thru the whole 8 seconds..say a burst of fireworks comes for abt 3 seconds, then stop for 2 second..an another burst come..u have to use black card to cover after the first 3 seconds and for the remaining of the 5 seconds wait for shutter to close..hope u get what i mean..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  7. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Paris (FRANCE)
    Posts
    138

    Default Re: dslr for firework

    Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz View Post
    There is actually alot more to learn from a dslr..other than the basics..

    what i meant by faster response is that if using bulb mode on a dslr..u are actually timing ur own exposure times..u r able to react to the spontaneous fireworks sequence..whereas for a timed exposure on a PnS (say 8 seconds)..u are force to wait thru the whole 8 seconds..say a burst of fireworks comes for abt 3 seconds, then stop for 2 second..an another burst come..u have to use black card to cover after the first 3 seconds and for the remaining of the 5 seconds wait for shutter to close..hope u get what i mean..
    Yes, indeed. Even the real exposure only last 4s to 10s, it's great to have access to a lower shutter speed. Bulb mode is convenient for during the bulb exposure time - 30 seconds for example - you can choose the burst of fireworks you want to capture and the burst you don't want by covering the lens with black card or a black hat.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •