Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: dslr for firework

Default Re: dslr for firework

You see, lots of people give you tips and advices - but instead of using your own brain and the existing information here in the forum you just want to get everything served on silver plate. Sorry, doesn't work. Do you know what the kit lens is able to deliver? Do you know how 10mm on 50D looks? Do you know if this is what you need? And yet you start drooling over it ...
    Get any entry level DSLR, brand is irrelevant, and start learning taking pictures. Take the standard package (body, kit lens) only and make experiences. Read up about equipment like tripod, different kind of lenses. Learn about exposure. Learn how to operate the camera. Along the learning you will see what you need ... resist the BBB virus (BuyBuyBuy).
    And in case you're asking for right camera settings for fireworks: there is none. Because it depends ...

Quote Originally Posted by firework View Post
    need good tripod to support?
    Don't need so gd as it won't be so heavy. A midrange one is gd enough.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

And lastly there is hardly any place for you to practise fireworks shoot. Its easy to learn and shoot your surrounding, but its not easy to get nice lines out of fireworks. If this is your first time shooting fireworks, then good luck.

If you like super wide angle lens go for the canon 10-22 is really good and sharp , good for landscapes. That why i decided to buy it and there is good review on it, and you need to have a good stable tripod and also cable release to lock the exposure preventing camera shake ..

Go read more about camera, lens, F-stop, Shutter speed, ISO. If you just need the camera to shoot firework, a PNS will do with a average tripod. There is a saying that is quite true to certain extend
    Lousy photographer with lousy equipment --> Pray damn hard for good result
    Good photographer with lousy equipment --> The photos are good, but the shots are limited as he cannot go beyond what is given to him
    Good photographer and good equipment --> Very very high chance of many many "Nice shots" comments on almost all his photos
    Lousy photographer with good equipment --> Pray that he sells the gears at cheap pricing after using

if you just need a dslr to take a 1-time picture of fireworks and ABSOLUTELY nothing else, i better recommend a video cam.

and seriously, a 2-3 year old model can also do the job. a SGD 500 bucks DSLR in the BNS now will also do the job. its the user. 3k is a DAMN LOT of money for fireworks.

anyway, in case you are still lost even after some reading advice given by some of us here, what you need are this:

1. Camera. (as a good citizen of this country to help this economy, i should recommend you to get a 1 Ds III or D3x for maximum shooting capability for fireworks)
    2. Tripod. (only if you wanna get long tail shots of fireworks. you like sparkles? den you can shoot handheld.)
    3. Shutter Release (dunno what this is, go google)
    4. Human (to operate the camera. if you need me, tell me. i dun ask for much. juz fly me there and back. i handle the rest)
    Last edited by luntut; 10th June 2009 at 02:49 AM.
    Fast Camera. Fast Lens. Slow Me. Sigh.
    My Flickr

so can you give me some recommendation?my budget 3k only,i need to practise more before i go sydney.
    Get a Sony A200 with an 18-250 lens. Add in a tripod and shutter release, and all together should be about 1600.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by grainpixel View Post
    if u can afford, the canon version is of course better..
    if budget, get sigma..i am using it, and pleased with it to date...
    Canon has poor wideangles. Sony/Nikon and Olympus have better wideangles.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Canon has poor wideangles. Sony/Nikon and Olympus have better wideangles.
    I like Nikon ones.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    it depends whos using the pns. Usually those who know how to use a pns gets nicer pics compared to those who have no idea how to use a dslr.
    These days, many people assume that: DSLR + prime lens = guaranteed excellent pictures

The irony of the information (i.e. digital) age is that it has given credibility to misinformation.

i am looking for dslr camera,anyone can recommend me ?
    need to take firework of cause,
    i already buy air ticket to sdyney countdown 2009,
    thanks so much
    so can you give me some recommendation?my budget 3k only,i need to practise more before i go sydney.
    It's good that if you're seriously wanting to invest in a DSLR system, you have a decent budget.
    However, I do think you have the misconception (as many newbies do) that spending on good equipment will somehow give you good results.
    Even if you spend over 10K on a top-of the line full-frame DSLR + lens + mega-tripod, and don't know how to set it up right, I doubt you'll capture nice fireworks.

You can consider the advice that a number of CSers have given: get a simple entry-level DSLR, maybe even 2nd hand, with a kit lens (something like 18-55mm) and work from there. Don't forget a tripod too. Practice is the most important. Your opportunities will be VERY LIMITED for fireworks specifically.
    Off the top of my head, the closest approximation might be vehicular traffic at night. See if you can capture nice and clear headlight/tail-light trails.

Once you've "out-grown" your entry level model (and believe me, it's rather hard to do), you may sell it off for a modest depreciation, and upgrade from there.

Hope that helps.
    Exploring! :)

Member/Tangshooter

To be precise..u need a Prosumer to shoot fireworks..
    Prosumer is something like a PnS but offers manual settings override.
    To shoot fireworks, u need to have long exposure time usually between 4s-10s.
    Not forgetting, a tripod is also a must have.

Difference between a Prosumer and dslr in taking fireworks is the finest/sharpness of the light trail.
    Dslr usually offers aperture greater than f11 which helps give a finer/sharper trail of light.
    whereas Prosumer is around f8 (i may be wrong)
    Other than that, dslr has bulb mode which gives faster response when shooting fireworks

I see that ur budget is more than sufficient for a dslr setup.
    However, do consider are you going to really step into photography hobby.
    On top of that the learning curve for dslr is slightly more difficult.

You will have chance to practice in Singapore before leaving for Australia.
    Upcoming National Day Parade, Fireworks festival if it is still available..or even maybe the opening of Marina IR..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

you gonna buy a new camera just to shoot ndp??

i am looking for dslr camera,anyone can recommend me ?
    need to take firework of cause,
    please don't buy DSLR just because you want to take fireworks.. Buy a DSLR only if you want to explore other types of photography besides fireworks..

If you don't mind the bulk and weight of DSLR, I suggest that you get an entry level DSLR as it's more versatile than a PNS. With a budget of $3K, you are get any of the following DSLR with a decent lens + tripod. Like what the others had said, do read up more and narrow down your choices to just a few. Then you shd go to the shops to feel/test the various models that you have chosen.

• Nikon D5000
    • Nikon D90
    • Canon 500D
    • Canon 50D

However, if you are prefer something smaller, than get a good PNS like Canon G10. There is no point in having a good DSLR but you leave it in the dry box most of the time.

Better start your research and purchase early as you still need some time to be familiarized with the camera functions and also to practise, practise and practise ...
    Nikon.D90 | Canon.S90 | Project 365

Quote Originally Posted by thotshouse View Post
    If you don't mind the bulk and weight of DSLR, I suggest that you get an entry level DSLR as it's more versatile than a PNS. With a budget of $3K, you are get any of the following DSLR with a decent lens + tripod. Like what the others had said, do read up more and narrow down your choices to just a few. Then you shd go to the shops to feel/test the various models that you have chosen.

• Nikon D5000
    • Nikon D90
    • Canon 500D
    • Canon 50D

However, if you are prefer something smaller, than get a good PNS like Canon G10. There is no point in having a good DSLR but you leave it in the dry box most of the time.

Better start your research and purchase early as you still need some time to be familiarized with the camera functions and also to practise, practise and practise ...
    Even the PowerShot SX10 IS and SX1 IS are great!

3k you can get a basic dslr(or a good one) with a ultra wide lens.

For instance a Sony A200 with kit lens 18-55 (SGD888) + the widest Sony lens 11-18mm (SGD 1099), spare cash can go to a good tripod.

Or you can a Sony A700 body (SGD 1788 +-) + the 11-18mm lens

3k ah...

50d+17-55mm f2.8

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman2000 View Post
    3k ah...

50d+17-55mm f2.8
    $3K enough meh?

50d is about 1.5k i guess, and the 17-55 can be had for around 1.3k , spare change go buy some bags lo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast