Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 51

Thread: WAR...?

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,799

    Default Re: WAR...?

    war is caused by piece

    I wana a piece of this
    I wana a piece of that
    I wana a piece of you

  2. #22
    Member terryansimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Quahog, Rhode Island
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: WAR...?

    Quote Originally Posted by spindoctor View Post
    Thats right. War actually has a profit motive. You have to look beyond the headlines and popular history to realise this.
    Dwight Eisenhower said it best during his exit speech when he stepped down as President of the US of A.

    can't remember the exact words so I can't quote verbatim, but it had something to do with being weary about the rise of the military industry.
    chicken fight!

  3. #23
    Senior Member King Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In the heart of SengKang
    Posts
    5,882

    Default Re: WAR...?

    Quote Originally Posted by terryansimon View Post
    Dwight Eisenhower said it best during his exit speech when he stepped down as President of the US of A.

    can't remember the exact words so I can't quote verbatim, but it had something to do with being weary about the rise of the military industry.

    Totally agree.


    He warned about what he saw as unjustified government spending proposals and mentioned with a warning
    "we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex...
    Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals,
    so that security and liberty may prosper together."
    Last edited by King Tiger; 8th June 2009 at 10:01 PM.
    War is one of the most regrettable human activities.

  4. #24

    Default Re: WAR...?

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tiger View Post
    Totally agree.


    He warned about what he saw as unjustified government spending proposals and mentioned with a warning
    "we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex...
    Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals,
    so that security and liberty may prosper together."
    During WWII, bankers were financing both the Nazis and the Allies. Ever wondered why Switzerland was untouched during the war?

  5. #25
    Senior Member King Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In the heart of SengKang
    Posts
    5,882

    Default Re: WAR...?

    Quote Originally Posted by spindoctor View Post
    During WWII, bankers were financing both the Nazis and the Allies. Ever wondered why Switzerland was untouched during the war?
    Wow, now you catch my attention.

    War is one of the most regrettable human activities.

  6. #26

    Default Re: WAR...?

    Maybe we should let skynet takeover then only humans will be united.

    We are never @ peace within thyself....

    O what rubbish am I talking about

    But seriously, since when is there a day in history that there's no war going on in Earth? Let me see, Sri Lanka has just finished theirs. Iraq & Afghanistan is still on going. Pakistan, Kashmir, Thai/Cambodia, Middle East, African states & the profiteers behind them. Yes, greed indeed.

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Mostly SF, Sometimes SGP
    Posts
    424

    Default Re: WAR...?

    Contemporary discussion in the field of international relations is currently directed towards the question what prevents countries from going to war rather than what causes wars.

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    1,479

    Default Re: WAR...?

    so long as weapon manufacturers can sell more weapons, there will always be war...

  9. #29

    Default Re: WAR...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    Hi dexlab,

    You have given the answer to it all

    As long as there is Greed there will never be peace.... full stop.
    yea, and after all the posts this thread has seen. it still all comes down to GREED. Greed is the basis for almost everything we do. Humans are driven by greed.

  10. #30
    Member NeTHaCk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    786

    Default Re: WAR...?

    Quote Originally Posted by dexlab View Post
    yea, and after all the posts this thread has seen. it still all comes down to GREED. Greed is the basis for almost everything we do. Humans are driven by greed.
    war is everywhere. home. streets. countries.

    you're always at war. even with yourself, making that painful hard decision . to buy or not to buy.

    every thing we do, see, feel, touch, hear, smell, think is at war. even in death there will still be war.

    when will the war end ? never

  11. #31

    Default Re: WAR...?

    Quote Originally Posted by spindoctor View Post
    During WWII, bankers were financing both the Nazis and the Allies. Ever wondered why Switzerland was untouched during the war?
    Ha... the US was making tons of money from teh war before they were dragged into it.

    War = $$$$$$?

  12. #32

    Default Re: WAR...?

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tiger View Post
    Totally agree.


    He warned about what he saw as unjustified government spending proposals and mentioned with a warning
    "we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex...
    Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals,
    so that security and liberty may prosper together."
    ... my memory fails me again. There was a conservation between General Patton and General B..? it goes something like this..."I go to war because I am a soldier and you go to war becuase you love it..."

    Anybody knows the name of the General and the exact words/phase?

  13. #33

    Default Re: WAR...?

    Quote Originally Posted by NeTHaCk View Post


    war is everywhere. home. streets. countries.

    you're always at war. even with yourself, making that painful hard decision . to buy or not to buy.

    every thing we do, see, feel, touch, hear, smell, think is at war. even in death there will still be war.

    when will the war end ? never
    Ah so....

    War everytime and everywhere!

  14. #34

    Default Re: WAR...?

    War will end if oil is no longer needed and the whole world uses solar energy for power

  15. #35
    Member terryansimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Quahog, Rhode Island
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: WAR...?

    Quote Originally Posted by HeiPiGu View Post
    War will end if oil is no longer needed and the whole world uses solar energy for power
    no.

    war will still break out because countries going through winter will have reduced amounts of sunlight, and thus would want countries in the other hemisphere so that they have a source of power.
    chicken fight!

  16. #36
    Senior Member Pablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Blue/Green Planet
    Posts
    1,854

    Default Re: WAR...?

    Quote Originally Posted by dexlab View Post
    yea, and after all the posts this thread has seen. it still all comes down to GREED. Greed is the basis for almost everything we do. Humans are driven by greed.
    I, sometimes (when sitting outside looking up at the stars) and thinking of an alien space ship coming down.

    Mr Martian says, "come and have a look up there".... whilst we are traveling around in outer-space he says,

    "We can do anything to Earth from here, what would like to do "

    My answer is .... "remove greed"

    If I have had a few drinks it would probably include something like, "and make beer flow through the water taps

    Cheers
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

  17. #37

    Default Re: WAR...?

    Quote Originally Posted by HeiPiGu View Post
    War will end if oil is no longer needed and the whole world uses solar energy for power

    History have thought us that in ancient time, people go to war to gain power, money, land, slave, revenge etc etc. they move the entire army on foot or by houses. No OIL involve, but they still go to war?

    in modern warfare, oil power the military and civilian equipments. country will think twice to start a war as the fuel play a major parts in the budget. So for now i better that the world still need oil to go around.

  18. #38

    Default Re: WAR...?

    Quote Originally Posted by kohweeloon View Post
    History have thought us that in ancient time, people go to war to gain power, money, land, slave, revenge etc etc. they move the entire army on foot or by houses. No OIL involve, but they still go to war?

    in modern warfare, oil power the military and civilian equipments. country will think twice to start a war as the fuel play a major parts in the budget. So for now i better that the world still need oil to go around.
    Oil is the new power.

  19. #39

    Default Re: WAR...?

    Quote Originally Posted by spindoctor View Post
    During WWII, bankers were financing both the Nazis and the Allies. Ever wondered why Switzerland was untouched during the war?
    You are right there, waging war is an extremely resource intensive endeavour, without financing its very difficult to wage one much less win one. And with the ability to generate "money" out of thin air, its now alot easier finance a war.

  20. #40
    Senior Member King Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In the heart of SengKang
    Posts
    5,882

    Default Re: WAR...?

    There was a saying.

    War is easy to start.
    Expensive to continue.
    Difficult to stop.
    War is one of the most regrettable human activities.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •