Thread: Tiananmen

Default Tiananmen

Crack down on Tiananmen on 4 Jun 1989...

China paid a heavy price for stopping the demo. Many lives were lost. the world pointed finger at China...was it necessary?
    Was China ready to accept a new polictical system?
    Should China give in to the students?
    If it wasnt stopped what would have become China? Another USSR?
    Last edited by Yappy; 8th June 2009 at 09:48 AM.

Default Re: Tiananmen

Their government did what was needed then, hence the declaration of martial law.
    But right now, they are definitely trying very hard to erase this part of their history from their younger generations. Lots of publications and word wide webs were either banned or blocked from writing about the massacre.

It's a fact now that no killing was done in the Tiananmen Square. It's reported in the news that the youth in China now are not too concern about the incident.

Although the killing is a really sad and unfortunate incident...but compared to the millions killed during the Great Leap Forward and Cultural Revolution.....

most PRC youths I know of do not know of the senseless killings that occurred to both the students during the June 4th incident, nor the amount of people that had to die during the Great Revolution.

I've learnt to not really ask them for their opinion on such incidences, mainly due to how their education system has suppressed their learning methods and knowledge availability when it comes to such controversial incidences.

the same can be said about my Japanese friends with regard to their knowledge of World War II in the Pacific regions.... again, many of them have no knowledge of what atrocities were committed by their forefathers against other people.... but that's a story for another day.

is this occurring through ignorance? I doubt it. but all I know is, people died standing up for their morals and ideas, and while the student groups during the June 4th incident were very fragmented (no clear leadership and understanding amongst groups), they had every right to feel aggrieved about the subsequent harsh crack down on them.
    chicken fight!

Quote Originally Posted by alvintang View Post
    Their government did what was needed then, hence the declaration of martial law.
    But right now, they are definitely trying very hard to erase this part of their history from their younger generations. Lots of publications and word wide webs were either banned or blocked from writing about the massacre.
    Hard desicion to make. They(the leaders) knew that lives would be lost.

The question was, did they have any choice?

Was it fortunate or unfortunate?

Was or were there any other(foreign) parties involved?

Again would China be another USSR? Were the leaders prepared to loose Tibet? Inner Mong etc?

the then Premier, Zhao Ziyang, was exiled politically because of his refusal to declare martial law and clamp downs on the students.

his latest book should provide more information with regards to how some of the politicians actually felt with regards to the crack down.
    chicken fight!

Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    Hard desicion to make. They(the leaders) knew that lives would be lost.

The question was, did they have any choice?

Was it fortunate or unfortunate?

Was or were there any other(foreign) parties involved?

Again would China be another USSR? Were the leaders prepared to loose Tibet? Inner Mong etc?
    the truth is. there are always choice. the right choice or the easy choice. the communist will stand to lose their power if they did not stop the riot. it not about the country. it for their own selfish political agenda.

If they student are to win and china have democracy. what will happen to china? no one know. taiwan is the only true chinese democracy in the world. one words "chaotic". maybe not a good idea?

no doubt that after the incidents, china did become more open, and their economy fly and it did change china as a whole.

right or wrong????????

I am sure that if the incident did not happen, there's no china today. We will see countries go by name of Canton, Fujian, Manchuria, XinJiang, tibet etc... just like USSR broke up. This is what most Chinese would not like to see.

Crack down on Tiananmen on 4 Jun 1989...

China paid a heavy price for stopping the demo. Many lives were lost. the world pointed finger at China...was it necessary?
    Was China ready to accept a new polictical system?
    Should China give in to the students?
    If it wasnt stopped what would have become China? Another USSR?
    What is it that suddenly makes you discuss this

Please inform me as to why I should once again have a bad feeling toward the Chinese government.

Have they done a similar thing lately

Oh, by the way, I don't believe that political issues are too welcome in here.
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

I am not happy to see an authoritarian China rising up as a superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    What is it that suddenly makes you discuss this

Please inform me as to why I should once again have a bad feeling toward the Chinese government.

Have they done a similar thing lately

Oh, by the way, I don't believe that political issues are too welcome in here.

Quote Originally Posted by sgvideoman View Post
    Who do you think should be the superpower and why?

just came back from tiananmen was there last week

everyone treats it as a touristy place now..

中国人民共和国万岁!!
    pedantic.

Quote Originally Posted by proteonXPR View Post
    just came back from tiananmen was there last week

everyone treats it as a touristy place now..

中国人民共和国万岁!!
    It was once for Mao...

Its very easy for us to criticise when things go wrong...try put yourself into PRC gov shoe...what will you do then? China is very big country with many races...will the country stable if there are riots and demonstration everyday?

Anyhow after so many years later....what has China achieved matter most...you be the judge whether it was a positive or negative...now where are all the so call student hero now? Wang Dan? Cai Ling? Wu Er Kaixi? They are leading a good life in US
    Last edited by Big Kahuna; 10th June 2009 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    Its very easy for us to criticise when things go wrong...try put yourself into PRC gov shoe...what will you do then? China is very big country with many races...will the country stable if there are riots and demonstration everyday?

Anyhow after so many years later....what has China achieved matter most...you be the judge whether it was a positive or negative...now where are all the so call student hero now? Wang Dan? Cai Ling? Wu Er Kaixi? They are leading a good life in US
    Wu Er Kaixi is the one with the balls. But now he attends gossip talk shows in Taiwan and is reported to be suffering from credit card debts. That's the price you pay for democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post

Most were in the West and supported by so call Human Right Group.

Where got so much money to feed them!
    Last edited by Yappy; 12th June 2009 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sgvideoman View Post
    Who do you think should be the superpower and why?
    So who should be the Superpower?

There were 2 Superpowers.. the US and USSR.. and when the USSR broke up only one is left. They became arro.. and do thing the way they like

Now the time has changed...

pse pse pse help me to buy my bond, give me more money as I am saving the world..

Do we have a choice?

So who should be the Superpower?

There were 2 Superpowers.. the US and USSR.. and when the USSR broke up only one is left. They became arro.. and do thing the way they like

Now the time has changed...

pse pse pse help me to buy my bond, give me more money as I am saving the world..

Do we have a choice?
    LOL.... Chinese bought American bonds... But over sometimes later the americans will forget this gratitude...

Quote Originally Posted by tokrot View Post
    LOL.... Chinese bought American bonds... But over sometimes later the americans will forget this gratitude...
    Cross the river and remove the bridge!