Thread: Pls guide me

Default Pls guide me

Hi Guys,

I'm very new to DSLR photography, the one im holding on now is a canon 350D. It belongs to my brother, i just borrowed it and wanted to learn more abt it.

Can any bros here teach me how to take photos in low like, i.e normal room lights during the night. The problems i encountered are:

-I set to 1/30 shutter speed, f5.0, ISO200 but couldnt get a decent pics. Pics are either too dark or blurry.

The lowest aperture of the lens (EF-S 17-85mm) is f4.0? can i go lower than that? Kindly advise me how to shoot in a low light environment without flash. Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by tiffanydunk; 5th June 2009 at 09:59 PM.
    500D, 50mm F1.8II

Default Re: Pls guide me

Quote Originally Posted by tiffanydunk View Post
    Hi Guys,

I'm very new to DSLR photography, the one im holding on now is a canon 350D. It belongs to my brother, i just borrowed it and wanted to learn more abt it.

Can any bros here teach me how to take photos in low like, i.e normal room lights during the night. The problems i encountered are:

-I set to 1/30 shutter speed, 5.0aperture, ISO200 but couldnt get a decent pics. Pics are either too dark or blurry.

The lowest aperture of the lens im using is 4.0. Kindly advise me how to shoot in a low light environment without flash. Thank you in advance.
    Tripod, find a support, push up ISO. Get a faster lens. Turn on more room lights, lol.

Hi Guys,

-I set to 1/30 shutter speed, 5.0aperture, ISO200 but couldnt get a decent pics. Pics are either too dark or blurry.

The lowest aperture of the lens im using is 4.0. Kindly advise me how to shoot in a low light environment without flash. Thank you in advance.
    ISO 200 is low. Try switching your cam to Auto and see what settings the camera tries to use. You can copy from there.

if you want to go manual, push the aperture to 4.0 and bump up ISO.
    Alpha

Hi Guys,

Can any bros here teach me how to take photos in low like, i.e normal room lights during the night.
    your bro so un-nice dont wanna teach you
    but nice enough to lend you his dslr

The problems i encountered are:

-I set to 1/30 shutter speed, f5.0, ISO200 but couldnt get a decent pics. Pics are either too dark or blurry.
    Set to P mode. Take picture. Done.

The lowest aperture of the lens (EF-S 17-85mm) is f4.0? can i go lower than that?
    can, change the lense

Kindly advise me how to shoot in a low light environment without flash. Thank you in advance.
    Higher ISO, like 400 and above. F3.5 and below. If you hand-held make sure the speed is around 1/30 if you really really have steady hand and legs, and need to shoot without tripod
    if you have tripod, heck, depend on what you shoot move or not
    if it is building that does not move (got building that moves you know like.. er .. er .. singapore flyer) then you can afford ISO 100 (or even lower if you are crazy), big F number like 11 and above who dont care. Some people shoot the dark sky and make sure their speed is like 5 hours, and can see star trails.