Thread: Home product photography shoot settings

Default Home product photography shoot settings

Hi as above, i'm trying to find out the settings ie metering, aperture and the "best" shutter speed to set in manual mode for shooting small product photography at home with 2 600 watts lighting without light tent or diy box.

I tried to search in the forum and can't find any related post. Any experience cser can share the settings, setup, any custom white balance set (the right procedure) etc??? i have a expodisc netural white balance cap as well..

Blog Entries

Default Re: Home product photography shoot settings

it all depends on your lights,

shutter speed, is not an issue if you use a tripod
    just select your aperture on how much DOF you need
    and shoot with aperture priority mode and bracket.

ic let's say i want the DOF to be clear rather than bokeh.. how you think of this settings shutter speed 1/30, F8-11 and metering center-weighted (canon system) mounted on a tripod ??

Blog Entries

the shutter speed will depend on the light and aperture, you cannot just say i want to use this shutter speed

you only have 3 variables to play with, aperture, shutter speed and ISO

you should use the lowest ISO you have, then select the aperture you need, let the camera decide the shutter speed
    then you bracket +/- half stop

which means that i have to use aperture priority mode instead of manual mode? How about the metering center weighted or as normal?

If you are using tripod, then shutter speed is the least concern. Just turn on aperture priority, use the lowest possible ISO and shoot.
    Nikon.D90 | Canon.S90 | Project 365

Quote Originally Posted by thotshouse View Post
    If you are using tripod, then shutter speed is the least concern. Just turn on aperture priority, use the lowest possible ISO and shoot.
    let's say if using manual mode other than aperture priority?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinDestiny View Post
    let's say if using manual mode other than aperture priority?
    but why? you still need to look at the meter and adjust the shutter speed until it reaches the middle, why not let the camera do it for you?

maybe you should understand exposure and your camera first

Hmmm guess I have read on a misleading info from past post. Thanks alot. Maybe get some correct or better info as a sticky on home studio photography. Just a feedback =)

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    but why? you still need to look at the meter and adjust the shutter speed until it reaches the middle, why not let the camera do it for you?

maybe you should understand exposure and your camera first
    Last edited by KelvinDestiny; 5th June 2009 at 02:54 PM.

Hi as above, i'm trying to find out the settings ie metering, aperture and the "best" shutter speed to set in manual mode for shooting small product photography at home with 2 600 watts lighting without light tent or diy box.

I tried to search in the forum and can't find any related post. Any experience cser can share the settings, setup, any custom white balance set (the right procedure) etc??? i have a expodisc netural white balance cap as well..
    it depends on what products, as very reflective products need more consideration then non-reflective products. eg, jewellery and fine watches.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

which means that i have to use aperture priority mode instead of manual mode? How about the metering center weighted or as normal?

no, you do not need fix on aperture priority mode, you can set manual mode, then watch the exposure meter, in this case bracket may not need too, if you feel manual mode is more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Nenjia View Post
    no, you do not need fix on aperture priority mode, you can set manual mode, then watch the exposure meter, in this case bracket may not need too, if you feel manual mode is more comfortable.
    hmm ic i will try out both manual and aperture mode to see which mode i'm comfortable with.. thanks alot =)