Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Memories on a knife edge (Hitler Project)

Default Re: Memories on a knife edge (Hitler Project)

Maybe if you do get the german bayonet and the picture of a jewish person, to show hitlers hate towards them maybe you can throw the bayonet straight into the head of the person? not saying anything degratory towards jewish just a suggestion

Why not get one of those armbands that hitler wears.Those red ones with a black sign like the buddhist sign.

I would suggest adding a tattered, possibly fake blood-stained and faded armband the nazis forced jews to wear... a cloth swastika as the picture surface, or table cloth would work better as well, then the ambient lighting would follow in the folds of the material.
    Learning DSLR control http://stormtrigger.blogspot.com/

No respond from Thread starter yet. If he is working on it really look forward on how he will go about doing it. While he is at it and it may seem related i look forward to him posting something on Hitler and he invovlement in the Military, that is the Nazi German Army. Be it the regular or SS. It will be interesting. This thread's about Hilter's 'own project', while another on his involvement with the Nazi Armee.
    Last edited by liarliar; 13th June 2009 at 03:09 PM.

cutting through some of the verbal diarrhoea that has been sloshed throughout the thread, i think no one is going to deny that conceptual photography takes a notch more effort than the usual variety of just shooting.

history bores me, and i remember little of it save what is funny to me, so can't help there - but just on the photographic aspect, take note of the angle in which you are shooting the picture. for me, a top down approach would have worked much better, not just in terms of aesthetics, but also in terms of showcasing what is going on, instead of some slanted depth of field result where hardly any detail can be seen.

i agree with the angle need to me higher. Also please dont try to pass off a fruit knife to be related to military. I felt the title is trying to describe the pic. However the pic doesnt speak the same words.
    5DMk2,400D,EOS3 50mm F1.4,28-75 F2.8,GRDIII 28mm F1.9
    www.flickr.com/jenson_goh

Quote Originally Posted by shmuckerz View Post
    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    Through the piece i would like to bring about a somewhat nostalgic feeling of WW2, and although my theme isnt very clear (even to me im afraid) i would say this picture deals with what hitler did to the ones he loved. (hence the german shephard)
    Beside a few sickheads that still exists and a few of their offspring hardly anybody who was involved / sucked into / suffered from WW2 has any nostalgic feelings about it. 73 millions deaths leave little space for nostalgia. Many people have memories, though.
    What exactly do you want to portrait? Memories of a person that lived during this era and who now remembers based on the items? For personal memories you could add personal items like an army IC or a letter from battle field (they have specific stamps). Or shall the items show fragments of the past? That would be much more complex as others have already pointed out. Search for "Arbeit Macht Frei!" ... such a picture must be in.

I think of two changes

1. Change position of the german shephard with Hilter
    2. Replace the knife with a bayonet(dissifult to comeby)

I feel that the subject is controversial, especially if the TS is thinking of using Jewish children. It is a fine line between art and insensitivity.

Please reconsider.

I would be very careful in the discussion of nostalgia and trying to invoke past memories on Hitler. it's a touchy subject that many people do not touch with a 40 foot pole, and even historians are often at odds at the portrayal of him, let alone mere mortals like us.

and if you're thinking of incorporating Jewish imagery.... as a person who has associations with Holocaust survivors... trust me, trying to pass off work that is artistic to them will be trying to sell yellow coloured rock to a gold sales person (ie, neigh on impossible). what I'm saying is, carefully consider what you're going to do. even though legally you have no ramifications for doing so, do not under any circumstances belittle what many generations went through, in terms of their pain and anguish.

again, I urge caution before anybody starts any more verbal diarrhoea pieces on him.
    chicken fight!

He did already, just follow the last link given to see his deviantart.com website. But it also raises the old and ridiculous question about how to recognize Jewish children. Not many people are familiar with the fashion of this time. TS has shown is inability to understand and reflect the whole dimension of the topic he has touched. Sad and ... dangerous in a way.

Hi sorry all, have been busy and therefore have forgotten to check this thread lately
    Thank you very much for all the comments.
    It would appear the comments are now moving toward telling me to becareful with the topic of nostaligia, jewish people, hitler etc.

Im sorry if i have offended anyone, i do not mean it to be offensive, however i feel art does not have boundaries. And if i have offended anyone i am very sorry, i do not mean to. But it will also not stop me from further exploring the idea, i will however try to take advice and try my best not to offend anyone else.

Thank you very much,
    and yes i will be working on the project, however am doing some volunteer work at the moment and quite busy with that..

Once again thank you very much for the comments

Quote Originally Posted by cabbySHE View Post
    All the points raised by liarliar and viix are crucial, and it took me to go thro a seven vcd set on the rise and fall of Adolf Hitler, phew no easy task, lucky it is a documentary,if it is literature, most probably....

I do especially second the comment from liarliar about photographers using power theme title but with powdery content, perhaps it's of their social experience in life.( just my thought ).

As for this topic, the TS has chosen a title much heavier than his capabilities, not in photography but about the in depth research and study. Should be able to refine it when everything set right and correct.

It is a difficult title by no means anyone could have do it better.
    Thank you for your opinion. Yes i must admit i did not put HOURS of research into the biography etc, however this was just an experiment, and i posted it here for comments and critique.

I value your comment that i must put more effort into the research, and i will take a step back and do more research before attempting again.

You have also said that this topic is heavier than my capabilities... I agree it may in fact be, however i find the best way to learn is to do, and with failure comes experience, therefore i find nothing wrong with attempting this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Beside a few sickheads that still exists and a few of their offspring hardly anybody who was involved / sucked into / suffered from WW2 has any nostalgic feelings about it. 73 millions deaths leave little space for nostalgia. Many people have memories, though.
    What exactly do you want to portrait? Memories of a person that lived during this era and who now remembers based on the items? For personal memories you could add personal items like an army IC or a letter from battle field (they have specific stamps). Or shall the items show fragments of the past? That would be much more complex as others have already pointed out. Search for "Arbeit Macht Frei!" ... such a picture must be in.
    mhmm u have brought up a very good question.. i believe i am trying to basically bring up the memory Hitler (although it is not a good one for he was a murderer) i believe just because he did bad/terrible/sickening things, it should not be forgotten or 'swept under the rug'.

Thank you very much for the extra information that i should look at. will definitly take a look.

Thanks alot

Take a look at this guy's work.

http://www.davidlevinthal.com/works_mk.html

I like this a lot. I'm not really qualified to pick fault per-se, but maybe add an Iron Cross and an SS dagger instead of the knife shown. Maybe a front cover from Stars & Stripes or other newspaper of the day reporting the event.

20th July 1944 @ the 'Wolf's Lair'.

Oh shut up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12