Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: convert ntfs to fat32 with out loosing what is on the drive

Default Re: convert ntfs to fat32 with out loosing what is on the drive

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Copy the data to any other volume and do a reformat with FAT32.
    this is the easiest way for newbies.

deffinatly sure and it was always ntfs. cant back it up band convert to fat32 because i dont have a nother drive with 500gb of space as my drive is very full

Quote Originally Posted by localhost View Post
    if yours is a removable hard drive (as in those portable hard drive), by default it should be fat32 unless you convert it before.

are you sure its using NTFS?
    I guess all new ext HDD are NTFS? cos mine is NTFS too and i bought it recently.

so can anyone help

Quote Originally Posted by GeckoZ View Post
    I guess all new ext HDD are NTFS? cos mine is NTFS too and i bought it recently.
    Wrong guess. NTFS is a file system for Windows. The moment you hook it onto any Windows machine it will be formatted that way. Hook it onto a Linux machine and you wouldn't find any trace of NTFS ...

Quote Originally Posted by doublebomber View Post
    so can anyone help
    For the safety of your data .. please borrow an additional drive and copy all data. The reformat the drive with NTFS. As long as you don't have much knowledge you shouldn't gamble with your data.

Wrong guess. NTFS is a file system for Windows. The moment you hook it onto any Windows machine it will be formatted that way. Hook it onto a Linux machine and you wouldn't find any trace of NTFS ...
    Thanks for correcting, but if i hook it onto an imac, will it automatically format to fat32 and erase the datas in it?

Quote Originally Posted by GeckoZ View Post
    Thanks for correcting, but if i hook it onto an imac, will it automatically format to fat32 and erase the datas in it?
    The initial formatting is done because the drive doesn't have any file system when it comes from the factory. Mac should not simply format the drive as long as there is an existing file system that it can read. AFAIK, Mac can at least read NTFS.

Mac can read data on NTFS partition, but it can't write to it.

You cannot format a 500GB harddisk on FAT32 as FAT32 has capacity limit of 32GB which is why large external HD are in NTFS if it is preformatted for Windows use. So converting from NTFS to FAT32 is not possible without leaving unformatted space or when your data exceeds 32GB.

Quote Originally Posted by spheredome View Post
    You cannot format a 500GB harddisk on FAT32 as FAT32 has capacity limit of 32GB which is why large external HD are in NTFS if it is preformatted for Windows use. So converting from NTFS to FAT32 is not possible without leaving unformatted space or when your data exceeds 32GB.
    The capacity limit of 32GB applies to Win 2K and below. For XP it's fine.

I recently migrated from Windows to Mac and had the same issue. But I had 2 external harddisks and an almost empty one in my Mac, so I copied the data out of the external hard disk, reformatted in fat32 and copied the data back. Now the drive works fine on Mac OS, XP and Vista.

Cheers!

Where do you get this information from?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat32#FAT32 => showing 2TB as maximum file system size.
    Otherwise we might soon see a serious limitation for memory cards. Most cameras (or rather all?) work with FAT32 when storing images.
    Last edited by Octarine; 4th June 2009 at 11:21 AM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat32#FAT32 => showing 2TB as maximum file system size.
    Otherwise we might soon see a serious limitation for memory cards. Most cameras (or rather all?) work with FAT32 when storing images.
    The link you posted is very technical, yes you can get bigger than 32GIG, but only with using Third Party formatting utilities, but while there is support you are still limited to maximum file size of 4GB with FAT32, which is why now all external HDD etc are NTFS.

exFAT, on the other hand will support files of upto 2TB, but doesnt have the same type of data security as NTFS. This is supported by MS in XP SP3 and Vista SP1.

Cheers ....
    40D|BG-E2N|24-105L F4.0 IS USM |70-200L F2.8 IS USM

Yes, the limitation only applies within the Windows OS itself but Macs, 3rd party and during XP installation boot mode format a larger partition.

One member did mentioned partition magic and it does convert.

Yes, the limitation only applies within the Windows OS itself but Macs, 3rd party and during XP installation boot mode format a larger partition.

One member did mentioned partition magic and it does convert.
    best is still get another drive, copy out, format it to fat32 then copy back datathe convert may not work properly. if u have files larger than 4gb in ntfs, after converting, it may be corrupted as fat32 can only be up to 4gb

theres only one proven way to convert NTFS filesystem to FAT32 without distroying the exisiting data--Partition Magic.

but at US$70, it cost more than a new 500GB HDD. not to mention the risk of losing data if ANYTHING goes wrong during the conversion process.

so just get a new 500GB HDD, transfer the data and sell it away if you don't need it later. the most you lost is $20 but guarantee to have your data safe.

Here's another suggestion. Dump the Mac. Save you all the trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by kurtlim View Post
    theres only one proven way to convert NTFS filesystem to FAT32 without distroying the exisiting data--Partition Magic.
    but at US$70, it cost more than a new 500GB HDD. not to mention the risk of losing data if ANYTHING goes wrong during the conversion process.
    so just get a new 500GB HDD, transfer the data and sell it away if you don't need it later. the most you lost is $20 but guarantee to have your data safe.
    Sound advice Keep in mind: there is never enough disk space. And: You'll need the backup once you have skipped it / forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by subxero View Post
    Mac can read data on NTFS partition, but it can't write to it.
    Says who?

http://macntfs-3g.blogspot.com/

fyi, i use my mac to write/read on NTFS, as per the above posters link.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12