Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49

Thread: Vehicle in Yellow Box - Legal?

  1. #1
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Vehicle in Yellow Box - Legal?

    Hi folks,

    I'd like to ask for your opinions on this matter, coz I see it happening more and more.
    The 'guilty' drivers act all nonchalant, as if they have every right to do so.
    The thing is, I can't find any document or website which states that such an act is legal.



    The yellow box is created across 2 lanes out of the 3 on Bt Timah Road.
    I presume this is to allow vehicles exiting Balmoral Plaza to get to the right lane and make an immediate right turn.
    I leave a gap at the yellow box, as I should, and the cars just plonk themselves in there.
    "WTF?" i scream, but to no avail...

    Please tell me if i'm wrong.

    Thanks!
    Exploring! :)

  2. #2

    Default Re: Vehicle in Yellow Box - Legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Hi folks,

    I'd like to ask for your opinions on this matter, coz I see it happening more and more.
    The 'guilty' drivers act all nonchalant, as if they have every right to do so.
    The thing is, I can't find any document or website which states that such an act is legal.



    The yellow box is created across 2 lanes out of the 3 on Bt Timah Road.
    I presume this is to allow vehicles exiting Balmoral Plaza to get to the right lane and make an immediate right turn.
    I leave a gap at the yellow box, as I should, and the cars just plonk themselves in there.
    "WTF?" i scream, but to no avail...

    Please tell me if i'm wrong.

    Thanks!

    this is where courtesy campaign comes into play. got BY RIGHT and BY LEFT. Usually i also leave a space.

  3. #3
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: Vehicle in Yellow Box - Legal?

    I have seen TP vehicles in yellow boxes before.
    I'm not a great fan of stomp, in fact I'm rather disgusted by their idea of "citizen journalism". But here goes..., for the record...

    Quote Originally Posted by Singapore Police Force (Traffic Police Division)


    TP car in yellow box: No obstruction, so no offence, says Police.

    "Under the Road Traffic Rules, although part of the vehicle was in the yellow box, it was not causing obstruction to any other vehicle proceeding to or along that road junction and, as such, no offence was committed."
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 3rd June 2009 at 09:13 PM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Vehicle in Yellow Box - Legal?

    i was sure turning cars are aloud to be in that yellow box.
    But you can't stop in that box, in this photo the porsche will be in the wrong.

    There needs to be a few courtesy campaigns for driving. Like how to take a round about.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Cowtown
    Posts
    1,343

    Default Re: Vehicle in Yellow Box - Legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    this is where courtesy campaign comes into play. got BY RIGHT and BY LEFT. Usually i also leave a space.

    The comfort cab is ok. The Cayman & GS300 (assuming they didn't come out from Balmoral Plaza) aren't supposed to be there.

  6. #6
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: Vehicle in Yellow Box - Legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by geeteethree View Post
    i was sure turning cars are aloud to be in that yellow box.
    But you can't stop in that box, in this photo the porsche will be in the wrong.

    There needs to be a few courtesy campaigns for driving. Like how to take a round about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reflection View Post
    The comfort cab is ok. The Cayman & GS300 (assuming they didn't come out from Balmoral Plaza) aren't supposed to be there.
    Not according to the traffic police, refer to mine previous post.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Cowtown
    Posts
    1,343

    Default Re: Vehicle in Yellow Box - Legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Not according to the traffic police, refer to mine previous post.
    Oh. Didn't you know? Apparently rules don't apply to everyone.
    Check out this post in another forum regarding yellow boxes. The response from the investigating officer gives the word "interpretation" a whole new meaning. Wonder which traffic rule book he's been reading up on...

    http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum...8eb3a5ee2fc35d

    But here's my take on this:

    I don't care what people are doing, as long as i know i'm doing the right thing. Lots of people use yellow boxes to get ahead of traffic, and it's really amusing to see how folks are just DYING to get to work during the morning rush hour. Interesting. The moment you decide that following the rules is a fruitless exercise, is when everything goes to bits, so my advice is to just keep doing what's right. No point getting frustrated over someone else's stupidity.
    Last edited by Reflection; 3rd June 2009 at 09:26 PM.

  8. #8
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: Vehicle in Yellow Box - Legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reflection View Post
    Oh. Didn't you know? Apparently rules don't apply to everyone.
    Check out this post in another forum regarding yellow boxes. The response from the investigating officer gives the word "interpretation" a whole new meaning. Wonder which traffic rule book he's been reading up on...

    http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum...8eb3a5ee2fc35d
    Print the Stomp article, laminate it and keep it in the glove compartment in case something similar happen.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  9. #9
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Vehicle in Yellow Box - Legal?

    i've heard people mention that it's ok for a vehicle coming out of a secondary road to stop in the yellow box junction, as the Comfort cab is doing.
    The trouble is, I can't find any document or website (official, not written by a member of the public) which states this to be the case. My 'Basic Theory of Driving' does NOT mention this case. It states that the vehicle is ONLY allowed to stop in the yellow box when waiting to turn right across traffic at an intersection. So I presume that ALL OTHER cases are illegal.
    Exploring! :)

  10. #10

    Default Re: Vehicle in Yellow Box - Legal?

    the yellow box is for vehicles from smaller lanes to join the main road. That's why the traffic rules say no vehicles in main stream of traffic are supposed to stop in the yellow box. To allow space for vehicles from small lanes for joining in, whenever the traffic is crawling or there is a jam.

    This however does not apply when the main stream of traffic is moving at normal speed, then the vehicles from the smaller have to wait for an opportunity to join instead. Same goes for bus stop bays, when main stream traffic stalls/crawls, the bus is supposedly allowed to cut in to join main stream of traffic.

    Pardon my poor command of engrish, pls check your Advance theory book for further clarification. Correct me if im wrong.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

  11. #11

    Default Re: Vehicle in Yellow Box - Legal?

    sbs99
    Re: Vehicle in Yellow Box - Legal?
    the yellow box is for vehicles from smaller lanes to join the main road. That's why the traffic rules say no vehicles in main stream of traffic are supposed to stop in the yellow box. To allow space for vehicles from small lanes for joining in, whenever the traffic is crawling or there is a jam.

    This however does not apply when the main stream of traffic is moving at normal speed, then the vehicles from the smaller have to wait for an opportunity to join instead. Same goes for bus stop bays, when main stream traffic stalls/crawls, the bus is supposedly allowed to cut in to join main stream of traffic.
    Exactly

  12. #12
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default Re: Vehicle in Yellow Box - Legal?

    If you noticed they were about at the edge of the yellow box, I find it acceptable as long as the whole car is not park right in the middle of the box, even if the whole car is, we could probably give them the benefit of doubt, sometimes it's really difficult to judge the flow in slow moving traffic and when you realize, the red light will stop on you and you got no where to escape

    Ain't nice to just take it easy? I find driving should be a joy rather than stress, especially in SG a lot of people can't even afford the coe

  13. #13

    Default Re: Vehicle in Yellow Box - Legal?

    the taxi is allowed to turn into the yellow box. according to the rule, the yellow box is there to allow vehicle from the minor road to turn into the major road. so in ur case, u are in the minor road, so u are right to to stop outside the yellow box. for the taxi, he is joining from the minor road, so he is also right to turn into the yellow box. hope this help.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Cowtown
    Posts
    1,343

    Default Re: Vehicle in Yellow Box - Legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    If you noticed they were about at the edge of the yellow box, I find it acceptable as long as the whole car is not park right in the middle of the box, even if the whole car is, we could probably give them the benefit of doubt, sometimes it's really difficult to judge the flow in slow moving traffic and when you realize, the red light will stop on you and you got no where to escape

    Ain't nice to just take it easy? I find driving should be a joy rather than stress, especially in SG a lot of people can't even afford the coe
    I totally agree with you about giving people the benefit of the doubt. I personally err on the side of caution, and even if there's a space for my car in front of the yellow box, i'll just let the cars exiting from the side road have it. 2-3 cars ahead of me doesn't make a difference, and i find the drive pretty pleasant.

    However, the reality in Singapore is this: a lot of drivers don't give a rats ass, and sad to say, most bad behaviors are caused by their own negative experiences. It's a vicious cycle.

  15. #15
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Vehicle in Yellow Box - Legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    the yellow box is for vehicles from smaller lanes to join the main road. That's why the traffic rules say no vehicles in main stream of traffic are supposed to stop in the yellow box. To allow space for vehicles from small lanes for joining in, whenever the traffic is crawling or there is a jam.

    This however does not apply when the main stream of traffic is moving at normal speed, then the vehicles from the smaller have to wait for an opportunity to join instead. Same goes for bus stop bays, when main stream traffic stalls/crawls, the bus is supposedly allowed to cut in to join main stream of traffic.

    Pardon my poor command of engrish, pls check your Advance theory book for further clarification. Correct me if im wrong.
    Nothing wrong with your english!
    I'm curious about the text you wrote. Care to point out the official document which states this? I searched but couldn't find. tks!
    Exploring! :)

  16. #16
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Vehicle in Yellow Box - Legal?

    I could only find this text on yellow boxes... there's absolutely no mention about cars entering from minor road.

    You must not enter the yellow box junction unless you can clear it without stopping.

    An exception is when you want to turn right. In this case, you may enter the yellow box junction while waiting for a gap in traffic coming from the opposite direction. However, don't enter the box if to do so would block other traffic that has the right of way.
    Exploring! :)

  17. #17

    Default Re: Vehicle in Yellow Box - Legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Nothing wrong with your english!
    I'm curious about the text you wrote. Care to point out the official document which states this? I searched but couldn't find. tks!
    erm...i dun have the official source...maybe u can check driving centers website, they might have info there. I reciting the info from memory, i remember reading it many years ago.


    did a quickie search...whole chunk of info...u need to sift through if u got time. x)
    http://www.google.com.sg/search?hl=e...meta=&aq=f&oq=
    Last edited by sbs99; 3rd June 2009 at 10:49 PM.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

  18. #18
    Senior Member roDz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Rafa & Kuyt's neighbourhood
    Posts
    647

    Default Re: Vehicle in Yellow Box - Legal?

    If i'm not wrong,in the highway code & practical lesson/test,no vehicles allow to stop in the yellow box...

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Cowtown
    Posts
    1,343

    Default Re: Vehicle in Yellow Box - Legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by roDz View Post
    If i'm not wrong,in the highway code & practical lesson/test,no vehicles allow to stop in the yellow box...
    Yes, this only applies to vehicles already on the main road. Yellow boxes were put in place because people don't give way to vehicles joining the main flow of traffic.

    For the 6yrs that i spent in California and Alberta, i never once saw a need for yellow boxes, and hence, yellow boxes don't exist there.

  20. #20
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Vehicle in Yellow Box - Legal?

    I caution that I have NOT checked this out with independent legal references, but from what I understand, the yellow box is intended for vehicles turning out from the SIDE road into the main road.

    Vehicles on the main road cannot stay inside the yellow box stationery, but vehicles from the side road can (that is what the yellow box is for).

    But seeing that there's some controversy here in this thread, I'll check up the laws a little later on and post an update on the yellow box controversy.

    The statement by that TP fella saying that it "didn't cause any obstruction" whether valid or not (which we will know later); actually cannot be used as a valid legal defence (printing and putting in glvoe box) because policemen cannot make/interpret law.

    It can however, serve as a good "moral defence" if you get caught in the yellow box as a layman can easily say "But police say can what, so I do lor"

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Hi folks,

    I'd like to ask for your opinions on this matter, coz I see it happening more and more.
    The 'guilty' drivers act all nonchalant, as if they have every right to do so.
    The thing is, I can't find any document or website which states that such an act is legal.


    The yellow box is created across 2 lanes out of the 3 on Bt Timah Road.
    I presume this is to allow vehicles exiting Balmoral Plaza to get to the right lane and make an immediate right turn.
    I leave a gap at the yellow box, as I should, and the cars just plonk themselves in there.
    "WTF?" i scream, but to no avail...

    Please tell me if i'm wrong.

    Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •