Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40

Thread: why so blurr

  1. #21
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: why so blurr

    Quote Originally Posted by twisted illusion View Post
    which model u using huh... mine is a 2003 10D... my sharpest setting is only +2... i only got 4 setting to play with, all is up to +2 steps only... i tried all those le... i can live with my daily shots.. just that i now trying to figure out the macro len... really miles off the pic posted... hope to learn from you more ley... cheers
    mine's a 2003 300D. even lower end than your 10D.

    dont bother too much about the +1/+2 settings. they don't matter much. practice your technique and master your camera.
    eat. drink. shoot

  2. #22

    Default Re: why so blurr

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    macro shots IMHO must use manual focus, the details on your subject are just too small for the sensors

    the technique i use is to focus with the forward and backward movement of the camera
    this is done once i have pre focused the lens
    Agreed

    Manual focussing then fine tuning by moving forward or backward the cam

    For macro shooting, AF is not reliable IMHO

  3. #23

    Default Re: why so blurr

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    macro shots IMHO must use manual focus, the details on your subject are just too small for the sensors

    the technique i use is to focus with the forward and backward movement of the camera
    this is done once i have pre focused the lens
    okay, noted.. thks...
    life is but a dream...

  4. #24

    Default Re: why so blurr

    Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post
    mine's a 2003 300D. even lower end than your 10D.

    dont bother too much about the +1/+2 settings. they don't matter much. practice your technique and master your camera.
    ok... thks...
    life is but a dream...

  5. #25

    Default Re: why so blurr

    hello all...

    i tried again today...

    here is 2 more pic... i personally see there is a little improvement on my shots... based on the teaching u all gave... but i still see room for improvement.. cos i can see that they are still very far off from those posted in the macro threads... sharpness and details is still not there yet... hope can get more information on how to improve... thks...

    equipment EOS10D & 180mm & 1980's flash...

    both pic same exif datas... ISO=200, Focal Length = 180mm X 1.6X, A=19 (pic 1), A=16 (pic 2), T=1/180, hand held (due to chasing spider), white balance = flash

    another question, why exif from zoom browser flash = off, when flash did go off from a 1980s flash... (starblitz)

    pic 1



    pic 2
    life is but a dream...

  6. #26
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: why so blurr

    #1 is OOF
    #2 is better

    practice more, you will get better

  7. #27

    Default Re: why so blurr

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    #1 is OOF
    #2 is better

    practice more, you will get better
    will pratice... but need more input ley.. ok for pic 1 if its oof... but what about pic 2.. if its in focus, why is the details n sharpness not there yet... can u advise abit more on the process to improvement.. 10s in advance...
    life is but a dream...

  8. #28
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: why so blurr

    the light is not in your favour
    the white wall will fool your camera

    go out in the day time and shoot spiders on plants or other places where you can get a face to face shot
    the ambient light will help you get a better shot

  9. #29

    Default Re: why so blurr

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    the light is not in your favour
    the white wall will fool your camera

    go out in the day time and shoot spiders on plants or other places where you can get a face to face shot
    the ambient light will help you get a better shot
    ok to your proposal.. but it will be damn hard thing for me to do... as i dnt hv the luxury of time...

    back to the indoor shot... what about diffuser on the flash... or any other method... i will diy a diffuser and standby when i next see a spider in my hse again.. and see how i can move on from there...

    if u got more idea to improve my shot indoor... hope u can kindly let me knw... cheers...
    life is but a dream...

  10. #30
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: why so blurr

    same, go for a face to face shot/pose
    a diffuser is a good idea

    with a face to face POV
    there will be less of a wall to cast a shadow on

  11. #31

    Default Re: why so blurr

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    same, go for a face to face shot/pose
    a diffuser is a good idea

    with a face to face POV
    there will be less of a wall to cast a shadow on
    ok.. 10s for the input.. will try.. cheers...
    life is but a dream...

  12. #32

    Default Re: why so blurr

    do u have a pet spider at home?

  13. #33

    Default Re: why so blurr

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    the light is not in your favour
    the white wall will fool your camera

    go out in the day time and shoot spiders on plants or other places where you can get a face to face shot
    the ambient light will help you get a better shot
    come to think of it.. the exposure is set manually one... can u advise why will the white wall fool my camera or not huh... thks...
    life is but a dream...

  14. #34

    Default Re: why so blurr

    Quote Originally Posted by freelancephoto View Post
    do u have a pet spider at home?
    as a matter of fact, i dont... they are either passer-by, or live in pest... i normally dont kill them unless they land on my beds or dining table...
    life is but a dream...

  15. #35
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: why so blurr

    Quote Originally Posted by twisted illusion View Post
    come to think of it.. the exposure is set manually one... can u advise why will the white wall fool my camera or not huh... thks...
    your pet is dark while the wall is white

    so when the flash goes off and the wall becomes white, your camera meter will think that
    the exposure is ok, but actually you are trying to light the spider, which needs a little more light. so this is where the photographer takes over from his/her tool and makes the adjustments.

  16. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Paris (FRANCE)
    Posts
    138

    Default Re: why so blurr

    Dear twisted illusion,

    As you start macro, you may want to get as close as possible to your small spider. In doing so, you must be aware your lens has a minimun focusing distance : it means you have to stand at minimun distance. If you are too close to your subject, it is impossible for you to focus properly.

    It's one possible reason why you may be out of focus, even when you manual focus and fine tune by moving forward or backward your camera.

    wish you nice macros,
    YP.

  17. #37

    Default Re: why so blurr

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    your pet is dark while the wall is white

    so when the flash goes off and the wall becomes white, your camera meter will think that
    the exposure is ok, but actually you are trying to light the spider, which needs a little more light. so this is where the photographer takes over from his/her tool and makes the adjustments.
    hello ortega, pardon me for asking again... my exposure is set manually one... the flash is output is 100% as it is a manual flash... i didnt really rely on the camera metering.. but the flash card setting and adjusted abit... if this is the case, r u trying to tell me my flash need to be adjusted better...

    i did a DIY difuser.. a white pvc card pasted at 90 degree to the flash head and the flash head tilted 90 degree... when everything is set up, all is 180 degree one... this greatly reduce the flash and the iso need to be bumped from 100 to 400 in order for this set up to be useable... i will try to located the spider again next wk and see how the effect on it...

    the question is, will a bigger pvc card bounce more light off... but it like look stupid and dnt think can bring outside... lol... so will need to go and source a suitable size off the shelve diffuser from op... hope they have one that will fit my flash
    life is but a dream...

  18. #38

    Default Re: why so blurr

    Quote Originally Posted by YoungPictoraider View Post
    Dear twisted illusion,

    As you start macro, you may want to get as close as possible to your small spider. In doing so, you must be aware your lens has a minimun focusing distance : it means you have to stand at minimun distance. If you are too close to your subject, it is impossible for you to focus properly.

    It's one possible reason why you may be out of focus, even when you manual focus and fine tune by moving forward or backward your camera.

    wish you nice macros,
    YP.
    as the spider is always on the ceiliing and moving constantly... i not able to try the method u mentioned.. i saw on line tutorial about your teaching as well... but this spider is not very friendly... so i need to shot... adjust, shot adjust many times to get these 2 better shot (in my opinion)... i will try when i hv the chance...

    btw, any hints on making the spider details to stand out more... cos i see other cs poster, their details on their macro shots is really alot alot more... thks...
    life is but a dream...

  19. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Paris (FRANCE)
    Posts
    138

    Default Re: why so blurr

    Quote Originally Posted by twisted illusion View Post
    hello all...

    i tried again today...

    here is 2 more pic... i personally see there is a little improvement on my shots... based on the teaching u all gave... but i still see room for improvement.. cos i can see that they are still very far off from those posted in the macro threads... sharpness and details is still not there yet... hope can get more information on how to improve... thks...

    equipment EOS10D & 180mm & 1980's flash...

    both pic same exif datas... ISO=200, Focal Length = 180mm X 1.6X, A=19 (pic 1), A=16 (pic 2), T=1/180, hand held (due to chasing spider), white balance = flash

    another question, why exif from zoom browser flash = off, when flash did go off from a 1980s flash... (starblitz)

    pic 1



    pic 2



    I told you about MFD because you might be below the Minimun Focusing Distance of your lens when you shot your OOF picture 1. In case, when making new essais, take care to be not tooclose but at appropriate distance of your subject or you won't be able at all to focus properly at it.

    Good continuation,
    Last edited by YoungPictoraider; 22nd June 2009 at 12:50 AM.

  20. #40

    Default Re: why so blurr

    Quote Originally Posted by YoungPictoraider View Post
    I told you about MFD because you might be below the Minimun Focusing Distance of your lens when you shot your OOF picture 1. In case, when making new essais, take care to be not tooclose but at appropriate distance of your subject or you won't be able at all to focus properly at it.

    Good continuation,
    ah, i see.. understand... ok... noted... 10s...
    life is but a dream...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •