Thread: How to increase magnification in Macro setup?

Default How to increase magnification in Macro setup?

I have a nikon D80 and use it for Macro when coupled with a Tamron 90mm. The details captured are quiet sharp but want more.

How can i magnify what i take with this setup? What's the best way to do this? Extension tubes, Raynox attachment....what?

Appreciate your replies!

Default Re: How to increase magnification in Macro setup?

close-up filter
    D700+MB-D10 | 17-35 f2.8-4 | 24-70 f2.8 | 70-200 f2.8 VR | 50 f1.8 | 55 f2.8 | 105 f2.5 | SB-900

Some people max it out using both macro filters and extension tubes on macro lenses but there will be a significant loss of light.
    Stop Shopp'in Start Shoot'in
    What's in my Flickr?

Blog Entries

try extension tubes first, then add more and more and more
    then bellows
    until you buy a microscope

Quote Originally Posted by sushi808 View Post
    close-up filter
    Just note that close up filters will affect image quality while using Extension tubes will cut light.

so considering the fact that i have enough light.....(flash(es)/ daylight/ studio lights).....extension tubes are a more logical choice since they would maintain the quality of the shots.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

what about teleconverter? will TC increase magnification on Macro lens as well? eg. 1:1 lens, with TC 1.4x will give me 1.4:1?

anyone can confirm this?

Sorry TS, Since this regarding about increasing of magnification, I borrow this thread to ask my question. hope u dun mind.
    Last edited by egnaro; 4th June 2009 at 09:59 AM.
    Life is like Photography, to improve, you have to keep shooting!

Absolutely. No problem.

About your question below....for eg: if you are using a 90mm lens for the macro....with a 2X TC, the lens is effectively a 180 mm lens....hence a bigger focussing distance.....or does the focussing distance remain the same while increasing the magnification!!!! Dunno if someone can confirm that??? Looking for the answer too.

Quote Originally Posted by egnaro View Post
    what about teleconverter? will TC increase magnification on Macro lens as well? eg. 1:1 lens, with TC 1.4x will give me 1.4:1?

anyone can confirm this?

Sorry TS, Since this regarding about increasing of magnification, I borrow this thread to ask my question. hope u dun mind.
    Last edited by icecube4u; 4th June 2009 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by icecube4u View Post
    Absolutely. No problem.

About your question below....for eg: if you are using a 90mm lens for the macro....with a 2X TC, the lens is effectively a 180 mm lens....hence a bigger focussing distance.....or does the focussing distance remain the same while increasing the magnification!!!! Dunno if someone can confirm that??? Looking for the answer too.
    A 1:1 macro with a 1.4x TC will increase the magnification to 1.4:1 and loss of light at 1 stops, so a max f2.8 lens will drop to a f4. A 2x TC will be a 2:1. and loss of light at 2 stops, f2.8 drops to f5.6.

I don't think many ppl will use a 2x TC as the image quality will degrade too much for good macro work where sharpness of detail and is important.

Getting a macro close up to stack will shorten the distance you need to get to the subject, thus revealing about more details. However, DOF is going to be much thinner and you will need to have high shutter to compensate for the handshakes.

Using a longer lens with an appropriate close-up filter would give you better magnification. A 100mm with the Raynox will give u less magnification than a 300mm with a Raynox. I find myself often going to larger than life-size with a 75-300 + Raynox DCR-250 combi. However, note also that the larger your magnification, the harder it is to handhold and compose, especially at weird angles. =)

I think you can use a long lens with a reversed wide-angle lens too, though that'd give u very little working distance.
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

Quote Originally Posted by headfonz View Post
    A 1:1 macro with a 1.4x TC will increase the magnification to 1.4:1 and loss of light at 1 stops, so a max f2.8 lens will drop to a f4. A 2x TC will be a 2:1. and loss of light at 2 stops, f2.8 drops to f5.6.

I don't think many ppl will use a 2x TC as the image quality will degrade too much for good macro work where sharpness of detail and is important.
    so EC14 will be a good enough and better choice for me then compare to EC20.

This link may be of interest to those who want to do macro with different techniques...

http://www.jr-worldwi.de/photo/index...technique.html

Quote Originally Posted by egnaro View Post
    so EC14 will be a good enough and better choice for me then compare to EC20.
    Depends on what you want to shoot. If you are shooting general insect macros, 1:1 should cover most of your needs. A 1.4x TC will help when you want to fill the frame for smaller insects or detail abstracts of larger insects (e.g. dragonfly wings).

If you want to do really high magnification in the field, then a reverse lens combination will probably get you more magnification for the buck.

Has anyone tried Kenko Pro 2x or 3x teleconverter with a macro lens?

Samples images are appreciated pleassse.

Quote Originally Posted by cichlid View Post
    Has anyone tried Kenko Pro 2x or 3x teleconverter with a macro lens?

Samples images are appreciated pleassse.
    not advisable... IMHO, 1st of all Kenko is 3rd party I doubt it will give you good glass maybe just decent (I dun noe, I dun use)... 2nd 2x or 3x will drop at least 2 stop, 3rd degrade of IQ may not be too acceptable...

Wink Re: How to increase magnification in Macro setup?

Hi all,
    You can consider the Raynox macro converter lenses such as DCR-250. Please note these are not close-up filters which are actually simple magnifying lenses only.
    For details, see below:
    http://www.mcgill.com.sg/shop/produc...182030500a533b

Cheers.

I'm thinking more of using a teleconverter as the minimum focus distance remains the same. However, the Raynox seems good too as the IQ is good but MFD is shortened.