Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which tripod brand?

Default Which tripod brand?

I currently own a steinzeiser tripod, heavy bulky but very firm, i smell a rat when the owner gave me a 50% discount off the usuall price at about 250 even without me asking. After i bought it home, i realised the center axis roatates no matter how hard i clamped it, and there's alot of greese on the ballhead, yesterday i found out that the legs rust too! So i'm thinking perhaps its not long before i need to replace it already.

So which brand do you recommand? i would prefer a ballhead, as its more flexible for me. i'm looking at about not more than S$300 with the head.

Firm being the most important, followed by weight and look.

Any advise? which brand is more price worthy

Default Re: Which tripod brand?

Gitzo, Benro, Manfrotto are all good tripod brands, perhaps you can take a look at the shops to give you a wider selection.
    Last edited by Galdor; 3rd June 2009 at 04:10 PM.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Gitzo

if you are looking for solid yet cheap and dont mind the weight, can consider this one http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450021

Its made in japan and based on an old school design so basically it is a tank.

give it a good ballhead and should serve you well. Happy with mine.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

I use Slik. I find it sufficient for my needs. But I recognize the benefits of Manfrotto and Gitzo. Go for the latter if you have the cash.

I recommend Manfrotto or Gitzo. The medium to high-end ones do not come with a head so have to purchase separately.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Giottos oso not too bad in price, although of course there's reason for the lower price lah. Depends on your use. If you're a frequent user, then better to go for a good brand that'd serve you well for a long time. If not, like me, I use a giottos monopod and am perfectly happy using it with a 120-300. I am of course assuming their tripods are just as good. I'm on a manfrotto for tripod

Anyone tried the Fancier & Velbon tripods?

I love my Vebon Neo Carmagne 614A - was contemplating with Slik but got Velbon cuz of its capability of folding and unfolding of the sections simultaneously, just like Gitzo.

I love my Vanguard Alta Pro 283CT too... work like Gitzo Explorer.
    Life is like Photography, to improve, you have to keep shooting!

I would suggest Slik. S$100+ you can get quite a good mode like 400DX pro with 3-way pan head, though it is not light (abt 2.5kg). Or their carbon fibre series like 713CX pro, at about S$300+. But their carbon series does not come with tripod head.
    Visit my portfolio at http://woeilee.zenfolio.com

WOW! $250 is alot for that tripod.Personally, I wouldn't even pay $100...
    Try the various well known brands at any camera shop (ie. Manfrotto, Giottos, Gitzo and Benro)
    I think Gitzo might be too ex for your budget but do take a look.However, try not to buy the Gitzo Ballheads as they are overpriced and not very good compared to the premium ballheads such as Markins, Really right stuff and Arca-Swiss

WOW! $250 is alot for that tripod.Personally, I wouldn't even pay $100...
    I said the exact same thing years ago till I eventually settled for a CF one. Well, I guess everyone has different needs and due time you'll know if you need or not. At least you're not rushing to get the best equipment out there which many of us tend to do sooner than it should be. Anyways, I started off with the affordable Fancier tripod FT-6662A which for some reason, the ballhead has been changed for the latest batch but for $88 (was $110ish), I guess it's a steal.

i got a free nikon tripod.
    but nv use it.
    xD
    dunno when to use , so nv use.

but the silk one looks stable and good leh..
    Always a pleasant smile when we look back at our own photos.

Quote Originally Posted by rendition View Post
    Anyways, I started off with the affordable Fancier tripod FT-6662A which for some reason, the ballhead has been changed for the latest batch but for $88 (was $110ish), I guess it's a steal.

May I ask how you find the Fancier tripod?

Benro not bad, u can take a look at it. 100++ for the normal ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Anyone tried the Fancier & Velbon tripods?
    I gt myself a Fancier.
    The extended height suits me. 4 Section and Sub $100.
    Basically i dont see myself mounting any heavy lens for landscape shots and group photo.
    For a 4 section tripod, i find it compact enuf to bring ard for travel.
    I cant say the tripod is rock stable but as a student and photograph being a hobby to me i cant justify paying the premium for something i seldom use.
    Canon EOS 450D | Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 | BG-E5
    UWA? | Sigma 30mm F1.4 | 580EX II

May I ask how you find the Fancier tripod?
    I can only say that it's one of the best tripod I could (and can) find for that price. It has features commonly found only in professional tripods and ballhead is something I prefer more.

Quote Originally Posted by dyk85 View Post
    Benro not bad, u can take a look at it. 100++ for the normal ones.
    Yup agree. less then 200 can get a quite decent tripod + ball head. Check the thread in mass sell if not wrong

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast