Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to get your sky looking like this?

Default Re: How to get your sky looking like this?

Quote Originally Posted by coolsigg View Post
    but Velvia is famous for highly saturated and contrasty output, might not be a true represenation of the sky's color when shot, no?
    if no blue, then what does velvia saturate?

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    Ok, I guess I wasn't very clear on what I was trying to say. I meant, it's easier to get a blue blue sky overseas than in Singapore. Agree, we do have blue blue skies sometimes, but like was said, being at the right place at the right time plays a part. In my experience, I can get very blue skies easily... just snap anytime in the day and you get very blue skies... as if you had a polarizer.
    er,

it depends on the season, you can try travelling in winter in europe, and you can see how blue your skies will be...

agreed for summer season, blue skies are generally abound in the places more renowned for it, i.e. greece, spain.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    if no blue, then what does velvia saturate?
    haha, agree need to have blue. but he was saying wysiwyg, my point is that what you get is = what you see X 20-30%?

haha, agree need to have blue. but he was saying wysiwyg, my point is that what you get is = what you see X 20-30%?
    yes, i would think so LOL

i've never actually got to use velvia before, so can't say for sure, but love the look

Sometimes in sinagpore the sky can get really blue, 3 weeks ago when i was at the Marina Barrage around 4 to 5 pm. The sky was clear and blue was striking.

This image was taken at F4.5 1/1000 no post processing and filters used...

Thanks for the input fellow CSers - I appreciate it.

1) if the sky is not blue, then you take 8000 shots , pp it 8000 ways, short of painting it blue you won't get a blue sky

2) circular polarisers can help to darken the skies and make the blues nicer, but i don't think yongcheng has used that here, would have to ask him though

3) so in short, wait for the right light, photography does involve luck, like it or not

4) saturation of cyan/blue channels can help somewhat, but once again, 1 applies

1. Very true, 200%.
    2. No, I didnt use the cir pl.
    3. Agreed, wait for the right sky, right weather, right light.
    4. This helps in Singapore skies. In Mediterranean, you don't have to do any additional stuffs to get the rich blue sky.

Using the correct gear helps as well. In my case, I'm using S5pro with infamous F2 Velvia film simulation.

Hope these will help you!
    "I want to have the best camera in the world and shoot XMMs."

Some photo seen here not only the sky are blue but the rock and others also blue. This look like using software to raise more blue.

Another look is the photo has been PP with HDR. The sky can be done with HDR process.

Hope I guess right
    Enjoy your every moment with our nature and friends

Blog Entries

ok.. granted velvia is pretty saturated. but this is a slide film. very little lattitude to play ard with the colours of the scanned negatives even in photoshop. this is really WISIWYG. one of those days that the skies were blue.

guess the velvia accentuated the blue-ness.

unfortunately, its a pain trying to find a play dat develop/scan slides decently nowadays. stopped using slides for 2-3 yrs already.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75 View Post
    ok.. granted velvia is pretty saturated. but this is a slide film. very little lattitude to play ard with the colours of the scanned negatives even in photoshop. this is really WISIWYG. one of those days that the skies were blue.

guess the velvia accentuated the blue-ness.

unfortunately, its a pain trying to find a play dat develop/scan slides decently nowadays. stopped using slides for 2-3 yrs already.
    yes, slides are beautiful once developed. seems like only fotohub processes E-6 nowadays and processing + scan (35mm) will set one back around $13+ after 10% member discount.

You don't really have to wait around to take a picture like that. A circular polarizer could easily replicate the saturation/sky gradient, and a few tweaks in Photoshop will get you the color.

To get gradual blue sky in the photo, the direction of the sun is the key.

You will notice that all the gradual blue sky (without PP) pictures have the sun behind the camera (look at the direction and length of the shadows in these pictures). If the sun is right on top (11am-1pm in Singapore), it is quite difficult to get gradual blue sky. I find that it is easier to get blue sky photo oversea because the sun is usually slanted (unlike Singapore where we're on the equator). You may need to need to move around a bit and re-compose if the sun is not behind you.

Getting a circular polariser will help to darken the blue sky and bring out the details in the cloud formation.

Took this picture around 4.30pm today. The direction of sun is the key to blue sky.

500D+EF-S 18-200 1/250 f/8.0 FL18mm ISO200

can try set WB to daylight

The sky these few days is very clear ... I took this on Friday afternoon with CPL @ Chinatown. No PP, just resized.

Nikon.D90 | Canon.S90 | Project 365

personally i use the colour saturation/luminance controls in lightroom to change the sky colour...

heres one i took just walking around orchard:

well, so do you think these look like singapore?

no polariser used, only curves and usm done in post process.
    where is this place ar?
    D90|10-24mm f3.5-4.5G|70-300mm VR f/4.5-5.6G|18-105mm VR f/3.5-5.6G|35mm f/1.8|SB700|MB-D80

as luck would have it, i caught this on my LX3

Panasonic Lumix LX3

The reason why we don't get blue skies everyday unless view from the sea is because the sun is direct at equator. Regions on top/bottom hemisphere will get sunshine at a longer angle thus sunlight wil hit at various angle resulting in nice sky color.

For that same reason, we don't have a nice sky lighting as it is very bright.

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    Ok, I guess I wasn't very clear on what I was trying to say. I meant, it's easier to get a blue blue sky overseas than in Singapore. Agree, we do have blue blue skies sometimes, but like was said, being at the right place at the right time plays a part. In my experience, I can get very blue skies easily... just snap anytime in the day and you get very blue skies... as if you had a polarizer.

Quote Originally Posted by nublx3 View Post
    as luck would have it, i caught this on my LX3

Very nice and sharp.

Where's this place?
    Nikon.D90 | Canon.S90 | Project 365

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast