Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 80 of 80

Thread: Feeling inferior when using a P&S in the face of DSLRs

  1. #61
    Senior Member NovJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    ~Sunny Little Island~
    Posts
    5,651

    Default Re: Feeling inferior when using a P&S in the face of DSLRs

    Quote Originally Posted by raptor1988 View Post
    my superiors all very funny one. Expect big gun equipment but keep say the unit can't buy. So the serviceman gotta have his own. In my case, i don't have. So i also LPPL.
    Then you tell your superiors that you cannot bring cameras into restricted places lor .

  2. #62

    Default Re: Feeling inferior when using a P&S in the face of DSLRs

    Quote Originally Posted by NovJoe View Post
    Then you tell your superiors that you cannot bring cameras into restricted places lor .
    then they will say never mind. i give you Letter of Authority (LOA). -_____-"
    Kodak Easyshare C875
    flickr

  3. #63

    Default Re: Feeling inferior when using a P&S in the face of DSLRs

    during my NS, i got 'mountain' to support me, i took tons of photos
    for our field exercises and explosive live firing.
    Taoism 你知[道]吗?http://yeobt.multiply.com
    Read With An Open Mind And Surely You Will Be Benefited.

  4. #64

    Default Re: Feeling inferior when using a P&S in the face of DSLRs

    Quote Originally Posted by yeobt View Post
    let me sum up what the seniors are trying to say...

    you would never win a race even if i give u a ferrari if you cant drive.

    polish up your skill n know your gear, you could be able to win the race one day even with a suzuki 800.
    Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    umm... can I add a little bit... quite applicable in this case.

    Ferrari or Suzuki 800... drive at nite better on head lite.
    thanks alot! Just got a call from my boss. Tmw gotta bring camera to take pics at Bn family day. But this time is not at auditorium. Its at Discovery Centre.
    Kodak Easyshare C875
    flickr

  5. #65

    Default Re: Feeling inferior when using a P&S in the face of DSLRs

    Quote Originally Posted by raptor1988 View Post
    thanks alot! Just got a call from my boss. Tmw gotta bring camera to take pics at Bn family day. But this time is not at auditorium. Its at Discovery Centre.
    It not going to be any better it going to be the same challenge for u again
    头可断,血可流,倩女不可不追求 carpe diem,when in doubt, hoot first,apologise later:p GALLERY

  6. #66

    Default Re: Feeling inferior when using a P&S in the face of DSLRs

    Quote Originally Posted by eow View Post
    It not going to be any better it going to be the same challenge for u again
    i think so. But this is not so important as the award ceremony. Just need a few pics of the men milling around and maybe a group shot at the end.
    Kodak Easyshare C875
    flickr

  7. #67
    Senior Member Pablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Blue/Green Planet
    Posts
    1,854

    Default Re: Feeling inferior when using a P&S in the face of DSLRs

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoricko View Post
    It's the person behind the camera.

    The camera is just a tool.
    I have to agree with this

    I have seen MANY photo's taken with a P&S camera and have thought, "Wow, I wish I had seen it like you did"

    Mega bodies and "L" lens does not make a photographer.

    A good eye/brain behind the camera is what gives the best result.

    See the shot and take it... don't get worried about apeture/shutter/iso ...etc if you are there and the shot is waiting for you.

    It is the capture that counts, not the camera
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

  8. #68
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Feeling inferior when using a P&S in the face of DSLRs

    Actually the shots look quite good. Just be more daring and do use the flash if you're limited with low light...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  9. #69

    Default Re: Feeling inferior when using a P&S in the face of DSLRs

    hmm.. okay. tmw i'll just wack. haha. Take many many pics and just delete if i don't need.
    Kodak Easyshare C875
    flickr

  10. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    390

    Default Re: Feeling inferior when using a P&S in the face of DSLRs

    Quote Originally Posted by raptor1988 View Post
    hmm.. okay. tmw i'll just wack. haha. Take many many pics and just delete if i don't need.
    If you "just wack" without knowing the basic of holding the camera
    in a steady manner with the ability of releasing the shutter
    release without any movement to the camera body is going
    to give you poor result too.

    Think about this first.


  11. #71

    Default Re: Feeling inferior when using a P&S in the face of DSLRs

    Quote Originally Posted by forward View Post
    If you "just wack" without knowing the basic of holding the camera
    in a steady manner with the ability of releasing the shutter
    release without any movement to the camera body is going
    to give you poor result too.

    Think about this first.

    Too late. He's already hooting liao.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  12. #72

    Default Re: Feeling inferior when using a P&S in the face of DSLRs

    Quote Originally Posted by raptor1988 View Post
    To those guys and girls who have used a P&S or are still using one, do you feel inferior whenever someone shows up beside you using his DSLR with the shutter clicking away?

    I post this question because i was at the HDB Hub today for the MINDEF PRIDE DAY awards presentation. My CO received an award for the unit and i was supposed to take a photo or two of that. Brought my P&S as i din have any other camera. It was only when i was in the audit when i saw all the big guns. Wah lao. So pai say until i nearly din take any pictures. But heck, i took my cam out and just wack. As expected, all the pics came out blurred to some extend.

    At the end i had to report that all the pics were blurred and unusable.

    I think this is just a rant la, but if you had this experience before, do share it. If any of the mods think that this thread is too bo-liao even for the KPT, let me know and i'll close it.

    Never use flash rite?
    If they gave u a SLR, the pics would have been blur anyway.

    Its not the tool

    Regards
    D3s / D3x / 18-55 f3.5 - 5.6 / 55-200 f3.5-5.6 / 50 f1.8

  13. #73

    Default Re: Feeling inferior when using a P&S in the face of DSLRs

    Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    Too late. He's already hooting liao.
    i'm back.. Din take much shots inside the discovery centre cos it was too dark even if i fired off my flash.

    Quote Originally Posted by Legoz View Post
    Never use flash rite?
    If they gave u a SLR, the pics would have been blur anyway.

    Its not the tool

    Regards
    negative. I don't think my flash would have the reach such the whole photo is nicely filled in.
    Kodak Easyshare C875
    flickr

  14. #74

    Default Re: Feeling inferior when using a P&S in the face of DSLRs

    Quote Originally Posted by raptor1988 View Post
    To those guys and girls who have used a P&S or are still using one, do you feel inferior whenever someone shows up beside you using his DSLR with the shutter clicking away?
    Actually I will be more stressed to use a DSLR if i'm just trying to help shoot some company's photos (*P/S: not very impt stuff to me), as I'll be expected to produce good results.

    If I use P&S, I will just pretend to be some normal user. If the photos are not optimal, no one will really say anything. But any good photo will be a bonus.

    Of course for my own stuff, I will use a DSLR as I don't have to answer to anyone.

  15. #75

    Default Re: Feeling inferior when using a P&S in the face of DSLRs

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    if you could not have done better, and you know your equipment inside out

    to be fair, a p&s is much easier to know inside out, it has fixed lens, fixed range of settings to a certain extent.

    but that is another matter altogether, being intimidated or feeling inferior should never be an issue. there are people out there who have nikon d3, trinity lenses, they produce nonsensical shots. there are people out there using lx3 or similar p&s, they produce photos worthy of applause.

    that other day, i came across a photographer from amsterdam who uses an lx3 to take sunset shots.

    link1
    link2

    i'd wager that there are dslr users that cannot produce such results and composition, even given the same scene and timing.

    emphasize the correct things, equipment is important, but not that important, when you get that clear, and you know that fact.... life becomes a lot easier.

    I say 80% of the folks here cant do those shots with their DSLR.
    Sometimes, its amusing.

    Regards
    D3s / D3x / 18-55 f3.5 - 5.6 / 55-200 f3.5-5.6 / 50 f1.8

  16. #76

    Default Re: Feeling inferior when using a P&S in the face of DSLRs

    Quote Originally Posted by UandMe View Post
    Actually I will be more stressed to use a DSLR if i'm just trying to help shoot some company's photos (*P/S: not very impt stuff to me), as I'll be expected to produce good results.

    If I use P&S, I will just pretend to be some normal user. If the photos are not optimal, no one will really say anything. But any good photo will be a bonus.
    Sometimes i do think like this. But i've been trying not to use the auto mode too often as i don't want my pics to be those run of the mill photos taken by a P&S.

    Quote Originally Posted by Legoz View Post
    I say 80% of the folks here cant do those shots with their DSLR.
    Sometimes, its amusing.
    I have to agree on this..
    Kodak Easyshare C875
    flickr

  17. #77

    Default Re: Feeling inferior when using a P&S in the face of DSLRs

    the guys in CS always captivate on the skill of one rather then the equipment used. but i still recommend using the right equipment to get the proper job done.

  18. #78

    Default Re: Feeling inferior when using a P&S in the face of DSLRs

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoricko View Post
    It's the person behind the camera.

    The camera is just a tool.

    It's the camera.

    I am just a tool.
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

  19. #79

    Default Re: Feeling inferior when using a P&S in the face of DSLRs

    Quote Originally Posted by adamadam View Post
    It's the camera.

    I am just a tool.
    win.
    Kodak Easyshare C875
    flickr

  20. #80

    Default Re: Feeling inferior when using a P&S in the face of DSLRs

    Quote Originally Posted by shunzi View Post
    the guys in CS always captivate on the skill of one rather then the equipment used. but i still recommend using the right equipment to get the proper job done.
    true... P&S hav a more constraint limitations. That is what I mean my my initial post here. But in some cases, there are work-arounds too. That is where the skills part comes in.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •