Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: how to use external flash for Macro Shooting?

  1. #1

    Default how to use external flash for Macro Shooting?

    Hi,

    i jus brought a FL36 flash for my E510.
    For taking portrait, i m using TTL.
    but i have no idea what kind of settings to set for very short distance macro shooting.
    Please help me to figure out which is the most often flash mode to use in macro shooting (TTL/ Auto/ Manual).
    thanks!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Paris (FRANCE)
    Posts
    138

    Default Re: how to use external flash for Macro Shooting?

    If you start macro, the best is to operate without flash during the very first months. Using flash light should only be considered once you get honorable and constant results with natural light(s)...

  3. #3
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: how to use external flash for Macro Shooting?

    Quote Originally Posted by YoungPictoraider View Post
    If you start macro, the best is to operate without flash during the very first months. Using flash light should only be considered once you get honorable and constant results with natural light(s)...
    LOL............please don't misled people. Natural light are not constant, that why you need additional light source to model the light for the desired outcome.

  4. #4

    Default Re: how to use external flash for Macro Shooting?

    Basically you need to get either one of the below:

    1. Remote hot shoe cord
    2. Wireless hotshoe flash trigger.

    These two items allow you to position your flash off the camera. Which is idea for macro lighting.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Paris (FRANCE)
    Posts
    138

    Default Re: how to use external flash for Macro Shooting?

    Of course, natural lights are not constant.

    When you go out for landscapes shooting but natural lights are not constant, you just don't shoot : for shooting is not important. What is important is learning when good natural lights occur and when to shoot or not.

    I was teached not to use flash during my whole first macro season. And i must say my master was wise and right. The flash can be the worst thing in photography, especially in macrophotography. The main challenge is the use of flash must be unoticeable to expert eyes. If you start macro, make you violence not to use flash for a while, it's all benefits to take time and learn to appreciate the beauty of natural light(s). Once you have a good knowledge of what are good natural lights, it helps you to better use flash and build the light you have on mind, as close as possible to good natural lights : no matter you use pop-up flash or (wireless or not) external flash.

    Without flash :




    With flash :

    Last edited by YoungPictoraider; 3rd June 2009 at 05:27 AM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: how to use external flash for Macro Shooting?

    Quote Originally Posted by YoungPictoraider View Post
    Of course, natural lights are not constant.

    When you go out for landscapes shooting but natural lights are not constant, you just don't shoot : for shooting is not important. What is important is learning when good natural lights occur and when to shoot or not.

    I was teached not to use flash during my whole first macro season. And i must say my master was wise and right. The flash can be the worst thing in photography, especially in macrophotography. The main challenge is the use of flash must be unoticeable to expert eyes. If you start macro, make you violence not to use flash for a while, it's all benefits to take time and learn to appreciate the beauty of natural light(s). Once you have a good knowledge of what are good natural lights, it helps you to better use flash and build the light you have on mind, as close as possible to good natural lights : no matter you use pop-up flash or (wireless or not) external flash.
    I do agreed that one must have be appreciate the beauty of natural light, but your first comment is very misleading.

    Ok............every other month i will have to repeat this...........

    Some example of with flash in macrophotography......flash should only be use to recreate ideal lighting condition or to one desired outcome.

    No flash


    Single flash


    Double flash


    Three flash


    Five flash

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Paris (FRANCE)
    Posts
    138

    Default Re: how to use external flash for Macro Shooting?

    Very good techniques, Leong23.

    Once every beginner performs nicely with natural light, it's (almost) a piece of cake to compose with flash light. Day after day, you learn to have precisely in mind the kind of light you need to model according to your subject and available light. Afterwards, you'll always find a way to obtain what you want from any flash around.

    Here is a very simple example of what can be easily done with a Finepix S100FS bridge and an external flash in manual mode at 1/32 (i used a 550EX but any manual external flash would have been available) at f5,6 and 100 ISO : the pop-up flash of the S100FS has been used to trigger the distant external flash...




    The results with bright background or less bright background by selecting low or fast shutter speed :







    As Leong23 said, in the same conditions of shooting, you can choose to model the flash light to a different desired outcome : for example, for fun, you can create something like this,






    Wish you good macro frames,
    YP.
    Last edited by YoungPictoraider; 3rd June 2009 at 03:40 PM.

  8. #8
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: how to use external flash for Macro Shooting?

    i always balance my flash with the ambient light


    this was shot with just the pop up flash

  9. #9

    Default Re: how to use external flash for Macro Shooting?

    Pic Ortega ... by the way what do the fly eating ... it look something awfullllllll

  10. #10
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: how to use external flash for Macro Shooting?

    Quote Originally Posted by AndiMaric View Post
    Pic Ortega ... by the way what do the fly eating ... it look something awfullllllll
    coco crunch?????

    notice the super thin DOF

  11. #11
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: how to use external flash for Macro Shooting?

    Quote Originally Posted by YoungPictoraider View Post
    Very good techniques, Leong23.

    Once every beginner performs nicely with natural light, it's (almost) a piece of cake to compose with flash light. Day after day, you learn to have precisely in mind the kind of light you need to model according to your subject and available light. Afterwards, you'll always find a way to obtain what you want from any flash around.

    Here is a very simple example of what can be easily done with a Finepix S100FS bridge and an external flash in manual mode at 1/32 (i used a 550EX but any manual external flash would have been available) at f5,6 and 100 ISO : the pop-up flash of the S100FS has been used to trigger the distant external flash...




    The results with bright background or less bright background by selecting low or fast shutter speed :







    As Leong23 said, in the same conditions of shooting, you can choose to model the flash light to a different desired outcome : for example, for fun, you can create something like this,






    Wish you good macro frames,
    YP.
    Very nice flower series.

  12. #12
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: how to use external flash for Macro Shooting?

    yeah i like the back lit rim lighting that shows the "hairs" of the flora
    just maybe a different background

  13. #13

    Default Re: how to use external flash for Macro Shooting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    I do agreed that one must have be appreciate the beauty of natural light, but your first comment is very misleading.

    Ok............every other month i will have to repeat this...........

    Some example of with flash in macrophotography......flash should only be use to recreate ideal lighting condition or to one desired outcome.

    No flash


    Single flash


    Double flash


    Three flash


    Five flash

    Hi Leong 23

    Can you please explain what is double flash, three flash and five flash?

    Many thanks

    Ps lovely shots by the way

  14. #14

    Default Re: how to use external flash for Macro Shooting?

    Quote Originally Posted by YoungPictoraider View Post
    If you start macro, the best is to operate without flash during the very first months. Using flash light should only be considered once you get honorable and constant results with natural light(s)...
    Disagree, especially when shooting under thick canopy. very very often, flash as fill or slow-sync flash is required to bring out the colours of your subject.



    The brilliant metallic blue can never hv been seen by shooting with purely natural light.

  15. #15
    Senior Member velasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    PARISris , Singapore
    Posts
    2,627

    Default Re: how to use external flash for Macro Shooting?

    amazing stuffs, Leong!

    I think at the end of the day, its about evaluating the sufficiency natural light and apply additional flash lighting where it needs to, no? My macros are all done with natural light but I really feel my works would be much better if I can master flash lightings.

  16. #16
    Senior Member egnaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boon Lay, Singapore
    Posts
    2,989

    Default Re: how to use external flash for Macro Shooting?

    1 stupid question...

    will a touchlight able to bring out the detail like flash? touchlight example. Surefire LED
    Life is like Photography, to improve, you have to keep shooting!

  17. #17

    Default Re: how to use external flash for Macro Shooting?

    Woow
    Good stuff
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/malaung

  18. #18

    Default Re: how to use external flash for Macro Shooting?

    power! tfs!
    ╬Pachelbel in D .357cal

  19. #19
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: how to use external flash for Macro Shooting?

    Quote Originally Posted by velasco View Post
    amazing stuffs, Leong!

    I think at the end of the day, its about evaluating the sufficiency natural light and apply additional flash lighting where it needs to, no? My macros are all done with natural light but I really feel my works would be much better if I can master flash lightings.
    Yes, additional flash light is just use to recreate ideal lighting condition when in the field as we won't be blessed eveytime with "over the shoulder light".

    Some subject, like scenar had mentioned, it need flash to bring out it colours, not only macro subjects, some birds also needed that.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: how to use external flash for Macro Shooting?

    Quote Originally Posted by mingkor View Post
    Hi Leong 23

    Can you please explain what is double flash, three flash and five flash?

    Many thanks

    Ps lovely shots by the way
    It was number of flash lights i used for the particular shot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •